Author Topic: Christle Family  (Read 16118 times)

Offline jarvman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Christle Family
« on: Wednesday 03 September 08 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm a relative novice at this genealogy business, but I have managed to trace back on my mother's side (through searching census records), her Irish Grandfather, Thomas Christle. I know that he came to Manchester from Ireland with his wife Jane (nee Smith) and died in 1892 in Gorton, and I also know he was probably born circa 1856 in Offaly (king's) county. But that's it! I've no idea which part of Offaly he came from, or whether there are still Christle's living there - it's not a common Irish name and doesn't show up in any Irish genealogy book I've seen. If anyone could help I'd be eternally grateful.

Cheers,

Mike Smith

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Christle Family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 18:24 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.
There's one entry in Griffith's Valuation in King's Co. for a Thomas Christle but you would be wise to check other spelling variations as well.
http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_family_search_form.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 September 08 07:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,I also notice from the same place where Thomas Christle is mention in Griffith's Valuation -Kilconfert-Killoneen,there is also a Smyth ,if Thomas & Jane married in Ireland maybe worth checking around to see if Jane came from this family,Regards Nipy

Offline jarvman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 September 08 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the leads, it's much appreciated. I'm amazed how quick it was to get a response!

Jarvman

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 September 08 09:38 BST (UK) »
 Hi,I hope they will lead you somewhere,I'll keep a look out for the name Christle in the Co Offaly area & if I ever see any thing I will let you know,Cheers Nipy.

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 September 08 16:20 BST (UK) »
Hello once more,I see from the 1881 census that Thomas & Jane did both come from Kings County & they were both  listed as the same age 26yrs,they were living at 4, Potting St, Manchester ,with their two children Elizabeth 3yrs & Mary 1yrs,you may already know all this but just in case you don't.Regards Nipy

Offline koolforkats

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 December 08 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi, the Christle name originates from Daingean, County offaly.Being brief I believe the name was originally Spanish!and probably Criostabal, Cristebal or something similar.It dates back to the Spanish Armada which was wrecked off the west coast of ireland in 1588.The survivors would have headed to the only place in ireland they knew of, Philipstown(after king philip 2nd the then king of spain), which had its name changed to Daingean in 1922.As most of the shipwrecked survivors were killed as they made land, it would not have been a good idea to hang on to the spanish surname!

Offline jimmy.5277

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 February 09 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm the grandson of Thomas and Maureen Christle from Killoneen, Daingean. i recently watched a programme on tv about family tree searches and googled my grandfathers name. to my surprise i was linked to this site. My mother is Josephine Christle and has a huge family. i would love to chat and help with any information you need on my family.

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 07:36 GMT (UK) »
Well here you are Jimmy.5277& Welcome to RC,hope you have fun & enjoy the site,regards Nipy