Author Topic: Christle Family  (Read 16145 times)

Offline jarvman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Christle Family
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jimmy.5277,

Many thanks for the response and offer of help. It would be great to find out if there is any way of tracing where Thomas and Jane came from exactly, although Daingean seems the most likely. Is there also any way of looking through local parish records to see if they were married or even christened locally so we could extend the family tree back further?

Fascinating to see what koolforkats has to say about the origins of the name being potentially Spanish and dating back to the Armada! Are there any old family stories that would support the idea?

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 May 10 19:38 BST (UK) »
Headstone in Daingean cemetery;

James Cristle, Riverlyons, Daingean
24/3/1970 (48)
w; Bridget; 28/11/12005 (85)

Offline ValTheSleuth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 September 14 23:11 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to trace a George Chrisley (born circa 1796) and Bridget McCann (born circa , husband and wife, who had several children in Ireland (Patrick born circa 1830, James born circa 1831, Edward born sometime between 1833 and 1836, Ann born circa 1836 and Jane born circa 1837). They had several more children after they emigrated to Frontenac County in Canada circa 1838. I believe that they were Roman Catholic, as George and Bridget are buried in an RC cemetery in Kingston. The spelling of the surname has changed over the years, and has sometimes been spelled Christley. There is a story that son Patrick worked in the mines at Clonmel at a young age (I don't know whether the location of the mines is correct) for a penny a day to earn money for the family to come to Canada. I wonder if you have any information that would help me trace them.

Hi, I'm the grandson of Thomas and Maureen Christle from Killoneen, Daingean. i recently watched a programme on tv about family tree searches and googled my grandfathers name. to my surprise i was linked to this site. My mother is Josephine Christle and has a huge family. i would love to chat and help with any information you need on my family.

Offline ValTheSleuth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 September 14 23:14 BST (UK) »
I too am intrigued by what koolforkats said about the name Christle being an altered form of a Spanish name dating back to the Spanish Armada ships that were wrecked on the coast of Ireland. Did you find out any more?

I have been trying to trace a George Chrisley (born circa 1796) and Bridget McCann (born circa , husband and wife, who had several children in Ireland (Patrick born circa 1830, James born circa 1831, Edward born sometime between 1833 and 1836, Ann born circa 1836 and Jane born circa 1837). They had several more children after they emigrated to Frontenac County in Canada circa 1838. I believe that they were Roman Catholic, as George and Bridget are buried in an RC cemetery in Kingston. The spelling of the surname has changed over the years, and has sometimes been spelled Christley. There is a story that son Patrick worked in the mines at Clonmel at a young age (I don't know whether the location of the mines is correct) for a penny a day to earn money for the family to come to Canada. I wonder if you have any information that would help me trace them.

Hello Jimmy.5277,

Many thanks for the response and offer of help. It would be great to find out if there is any way of tracing where Thomas and Jane came from exactly, although Daingean seems the most likely. Is there also any way of looking through local parish records to see if they were married or even christened locally so we could extend the family tree back further?

Fascinating to see what koolforkats has to say about the origins of the name being potentially Spanish and dating back to the Armada! Are there any old family stories that would support the idea?

Offline ValTheSleuth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 September 14 23:17 BST (UK) »
I am fascinated by what you said about the name Christle originating with a Spanish name and dating from the wreck of Spanish Armada ships on the coast of Ireland.

Hi, the Christle name originates from Daingean, County offaly.Being brief I believe the name was originally Spanish!and probably Criostabal, Cristebal or something similar.It dates back to the Spanish Armada which was wrecked off the west coast of ireland in 1588.The survivors would have headed to the only place in ireland they knew of, Philipstown(after king philip 2nd the then king of spain), which had its name changed to Daingean in 1922.As most of the shipwrecked survivors were killed as they made land, it would not have been a good idea to hang on to the spanish surname!

Offline MSgirl92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 12 March 15 07:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi my name is Megan. My grandfather is Jack Christle. Either my great grandfather or great great grandfather brought a churches window piece from Ireland to a state called Indiana. It's between the two towns Andrews and wabash. It's in a old Catholic Church and it's the Christle symbol ( I forget the proper word it's called. It's thee Christle symbol. I've been told there is multiple sclerosis on the Christle side and I was wondering if you could help me? All the Christle's I know doesn't know for sure who? I have MS and other illnesses. I've been searching for answers because every christle doesn't know who it could be. I'm so sorry I don't have an answer to your question. I've just been looking as well on how to find the christle family tree. I need to know if it was my moms side(my grandfather Christle) or my biological fathers side. If it is the Christle's, I need to let every christle I do know, know.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 12 March 15 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi my name is Megan. My grandfather is Jack Christle. Either my great grandfather or great great grandfather brought a churches window piece from Ireland to a state called Indiana. ...

Is this your grandfather? http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=35936972

If you haven't done so already then you need to trace your ancestry back step by step starting in America and then trying to find Irish records (you'll need a more exact place than 'Ireland'- parish is not actual townland and not even just the county).

Have a look at this topic- My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Tracing a medical problem in the family is the same principal. Start with yourself and work back through each generation. American death certificates are much more informative than Irish ones but the farther back you go the more likely the causes of death could be attributed to various problems.

It will also help to talk to other family members for clues about anything they can remember- both from a genealogical and a medical point of view.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MSgirl92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 12 March 15 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Yes that is my grandfather! Tomorrow is the anniversary of his death and I've just had him on my mind where for him. I want to find out about his and my history. Also my grandfather Michael Christle's father was named Thomas Christle as well

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile