Author Topic: Workhouse Visit  (Read 2858 times)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Workhouse Visit
« on: Wednesday 03 September 08 22:04 BST (UK) »
Trystan and I have just had a bank holiday visit to Nottingham, and was lucky enough to visit Southwell Workhouse on the cities outskirts.

Southell is the one of the earliest examples of a workhouse which I believe was so successful that they used this example across the country.

This is a rare opportunity to visit this three story building which housed 140 Men, Woman and Children in separate quarters according to there age, ability and social standing. This workhouse was in continued use right into the late 1940's when It was then used to store medical equipment. These days it is owned by the Nation Trust, protected for us all to visit and experience a "short term" visit ourselves.

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The black sheep: Florence Stevenson née Hampson
    • View Profile
Re: Workhouse Visit
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 September 08 16:31 BST (UK) »
How interesting!

I never knew any workhouses were being preserved by the National Trust as historical monuments.  I'd always assumed that they were all taken over by the NHS in 1948 and continued as NHS hospitals.

Is it preserved in any particular period?  I.e. what I mean is have they tried to restore it as it was in a particular period? 

Whereabouts is it?  I'm in Nottingham for a meeting this Friday/Saturday and it might be interesting to visit if it's not too far out of my way.
Lancashire: Stevenson, Wild, Holden, Jepson
Worcs/Staffs: Steventon, Smith
East London & Suffolk: Guest, Scrutton
East London: Palfreman (prev Tyneside), Bissell, Collis, Dearlove, Ettridge
Herts: Camac, Collis, Mason, Dorrington, Siggens
Marylebone & Sussex: Cole
London & Huntingdonshire: Freeman
Bowland: Marsden, Noble
Shropshire: Guest

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 September 08 17:02 BST (UK) »
Looks like Sarah has made a typo, it's at Southwell, which is North East of the city centre, towards Newark. Details here:

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-theworkhouse.htm
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 September 08 17:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that recommendation Sarah, I had only just said to my husband a few days ago that we really must pay it a visit.

For anyone interested, here is the location. http://www.rootschat.com/links/048q/
Southwell lies some 12 miles north-east of Nottingham. It has a lovely Minster church which is also very well worth a visit.

Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 September 08 21:42 BST (UK) »

lucky enough to visit Southwell Workhouse

Lol, I hope it's not just us (as in family historians) who would get excited at the thought of a visit to a workhouse  ;D

Suey - wishing she lived closer to Nottingham.........
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 September 08 14:39 BST (UK) »
Following this recommendation, I went to the Southwell Workhouse on Saturday afternoon.

Gosh, what a fascinating, engrossing hour and a half!  All the more remarkable, given that most of the time you are just looking at empty rooms, but the excellent audio tour (in my limited experience, second only to the one on Alcatraz island/prison in California) filled the rooms in one's mind.

To expand on what Sarah says, it was the first workhouse built specifically to separate women, men and children, and within those to separate the able-bodied and the infirm.  There were even separate staircases so they would never meet.

It underlined to me what a place of last resort the workhouse was - life wasn't made so much unpleasant (though certainly by modern standards it was), as utterly un-enviable, with men breaking stones all day, women unpicking ropes, even repeatedly whitewashing the walls in an exercise of gross futility.

Almost most haunting of the lot was the top floor, apparently untouched since last used as a workhouse in the first half of the 20th century.  Unless the audio-commentary hadn't mentioned it, I don't think I would have noticed the "shadows" on the floor - where the floor had been worn smooth by decades of inmates walking/standing between the beds.

The rooms are largely empty because they say there is no evidence as to what the furniture would have been like.  One dormitory has some reproductions of (mid 20th century?) hospital beds, plus nightgowns and chamber pots, to give an idea of how they might have been laid out, and one room is kept as it would have been in the 1970s, when (parts of?) the building were used to house homeless families.  In a way the 1970s bedsit was almost more claustrophobic than the 19th century recreation, as it feels more familiar.

I'd have liked to have known more about the building's history in the 20th century.  The audio commentary was almost uniquely concentrated on the early to mid 19th century, and it would have been interesting to hear how the building was adapted (if it was) in the late 19th and early 20th centuries and how workhouse life differed then; and then how the building was used in the second half of the 20th century.

Definitely recommend a visit if you're within a 100 miles.  It's nearer Newark, than Nottingham though.  Southwell looked a lovely small town too, though unfortunately time was pressing too much for me to be able to explore it.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 September 08 14:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. Still hoping to go soon -  it's only about 50 miles away.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 17:55 BST (UK) »
We followed in the footsteps of Sarah, Trystan and Aulus and visited Southwell Workhouse today.

Aulus has really said all that needs to be said. Particularly fascinating, but at the same time awful, was the evidence of the complete segregation by sex and age, with separate but somehow intricately interlocking staircases.

The audio tour is excellent.

Highly recommended.

Southwell is delightful, the Minster fascinating and there are lots of pleasant eating places in the town.

Jennifer

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 October 08 21:24 BST (UK) »
I've just got round to watching last Sunday's Antiques Roadshow and at the beginning of the programme the Southwell workhouse is featured for a couple of minutes.

Presumably it's on the i-player thingie still for anyone in the UK.