Author Topic: Davies and Evans Wrexham  (Read 4208 times)

Offline ajam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Davies and Evans Wrexham
« on: Thursday 04 September 08 00:16 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace the family of Samuel Davies (1833-1870) and his wife Margaret (1845? -1890)

Samuel was a butcher in Wrexham, Denbighshire. He was born in Longacre, London. His father was called Edward and was a spring maker.

Margaret was the daughter of Evan and Margaret Evans. Evan was a stonemason and lived at Broughton / Moss near Wrexham. Evan and Margaret's children were Maria, Peter, Sarah, Harriet, Jane, Hannah, Margaret and Anne.

Can any one help?

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Davies and Evans Wrexham
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 September 08 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hi
Welcome to rootschat.  It would be really helpful if you could tell us which census records you have for Samuel and Margaret and give the reference numbers.  Davis/Davies is so common I cannot find them.   Who were the witnesses at their wedding?   They may well be relatives.
It is also not clear whether you wish to know about the children of Samuel and Margaret or their ancestors!
Andrea

Offline ajam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 September 08 20:03 BST (UK) »
Samuel A Davies is on the 1841 census with his Uncle and Aunt, John and Ann Davies. I also have information on him on later censuses. I'm trying to find out about his parents and why he was born in Longacre.

I have found Margaret Evans (jr) on the 1851, 1861, 1871 censuses. On the 1871 census her sister Hannah is living with her. Hannah is living with her grandmother Elizabeth Parry on the 1851 census and their father Evan has died. However, I can't read all the details about Hannah's grandmother, she appears to be aged 50; but Margaret Evans (sr) on the same census is 48, which does not make sense. I found the baptism records for Sarah, Harriet and Jane Evans on the Internet. I can't find any of the Evans family on the 1841 census. I'd like to know more about Evan & Margaret Evans and Elizabeth Parry.

Sorry, should have written all this on the original post.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 September 08 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hi again
Can you give the actual reference details for the census records so that I can look at them?  The 1841 does not give family relationships so how do you know Samuel was with an uncle and aunt?  What does the A stand for in Samuel A Davies?
I always prefer to work back from known facts so if you can give those it might be easier for me to help.  For instance -  When did they marry?  Who were their children? Were the baptisms you found on the internet extracted records?  Assuming you are talking about the IGI here.
Andrea

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 September 08 22:11 BST (UK) »
I can't find any of the Evans family on the 1841 census. I'd like to know more about Evan & Margaret Evans and Elizabeth Parry.

Hi

and welcome  :)

If they were living in the Wrexham area, they would not appear on any online records because the records for the 1841 census are missing/destroyed  :(

The Clwyd FHS have produced a CD for the Wrexham EDs but other areas in the district remain lost.

Most ancestors have to be traced via parish records for this period and if they were not Church of England/Wales, it becomes very difficult

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ajam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 September 08 19:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks, knowing some of the 1841 records are missing helps a lot. I wondered why I could not find the details for the Evans family.

The details I have for Samuel Davies for 1851 are that he was living at Tavern Bridge Lane with John and Ann Davies and the relationship nephew is stated with a profession of Butcher and brthplace of Longacre, London. John and Ann are both 53 years old and were born in Wrexham, with John also being a butcher. This is listed as 4c 189, if that helps. 

I also have details for them on the 1841 census; John again is a butcher, John and Ann are listed as aged 40 and Samuel is 8 years of Age.

On Samuel's Marriage certificate to Margaret Evans, his father is listed as Edward (deceased), a spring maker. Unfortunately it does not record Samuel's middle name. They were married in 1866, Samuel's age is given as 30, Margaret  23, Samuel (still a butcher) is listed as being at Market Street, Wrexham and Margaret at Mount Street. The witnesses were Robert and Elizabeth Jones.

It looks like the Davieses were from Wrexham and after his father died Samuel returned to live with his relatives. Edward might be the brother of John or possibly Ann.

I will have to look up the details I have of the Evans family...

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 September 08 20:46 BST (UK) »
Hi
Correct reference for 1851 is HO107 2503 496 47 in case anyone wants to follow this one.  I must say that I do not know where Longacre is - presumably you do.  Googling it appears to put it in/near Westminster but that seems to be a street rather than a district.   Have you looked at the parish registers to see if you can find a baptism?  Local directories?
Andrea

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 September 08 21:05 BST (UK) »
Longacre - is near Covent Garden - I lived near there once  :)

Possibly the parish of St Marrtin's in the Fields - but not sure

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 September 08 10:05 BST (UK) »
Slaters 1858-59 Wales Directory
Wrexham
Davies John - Butcher in the market
Davies Saml - Butcher in the market
Davies. Eliz - Butcher in the market

I wonder if this is the same John and Samuel.

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)