Author Topic: Irish Chancery Court 1848  (Read 4227 times)

Offline acookey

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • Katherine Pasley
    • View Profile
Irish Chancery Court 1848
« on: Friday 05 September 08 05:32 BST (UK) »
Hullo all from (overcast and rainy Qld at the moment)

Can anyone give me some advice as how to find a Chancery Court matter from 1848.  I found a reference to the matter in the Freeman's journal of November 1848, but it did not contain the whole story, only the finding.   

I believe that the Chancery records survived the 1922 fire, but emails to the Irish Law Library have failed to get any response as has an email to the Archives.

This is the newspaper article from 13 November 1848.  I believe that the Robert Pasley mentioned could be my ggrandfather.

"Court of Chancery.
In the Matter of Lord Lurgan, a minor.
Mr Tomb QC applied on behalf of Lady Lurgan, the guardian of the minor,
that the report of the Master in this case be confirmed.  The object of
the proceeding was, that the furniture and plate belonging to the late
Lord Lurgan (which had been by his will left to Lady Lurgan) should be
purchased from her Ladyship for the minor, Mr Robert Pasley, of
Bachelors Walk, Dublin, and Mr Dowell, of Edinburgh to be appointed to
value the property, with power to call in a third person, if necessary.
The report also recommended that certain releases and renewals of
leases, sought for Lurgan Gas Company and others, should be executed.
The court granted the motion"

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Annette
RIP 2011
Cooke, Aust. England
Russell, Aust. Enland
McMinn, Ireland
Gee, Ireland
Crump, London
Bowen (Bohan), Ireland
Seage, Ireland
Smith, Aust.
Dore, Ireland
Pasley, Ireland
Simmonds, England

Offline kingjohn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Chancery Court 1848
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 May 09 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
The Pasley family were a well know Dublin Cabinet Making firm for much of the 18th and 19th Century.

PASLEY OR PASSLEY, James, Joiner, Stadbally, Co Laois or Queens, 1729. His will is listed and dated 1727 in Prerogative Will of Ireland (Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810, pp 368).
PASLEY OR PARSLEY I, Robert, Upholder and Cabinet Maker, 50 Abbey-street 1782-1790.
PASLEY OR PARSLEY II, Robert, Upholder and Cabinet Maker, 6 Henry-street 1807-1814. 50 Abbey-street 1816-1828. 42 and 44 Stafford-street 1830-1833 (in partnership with William Scott 1830-1833). Fictitious Votes (Ireland). Place of Residence and Description-Robert Paisley, Cabinet Maker,42 Stafford-street, Situation of Property-House 42 Stafford-street, Description of Right to Vote-Freeman, Date of Registry- 26th October 1832 (Parl Papers 1837, Vol XI, pp 280).
PASLEY OR PARSLEY III, Robert, Upholder and Cabinet Maker, 18 Bachelor’s-walk 1839-1844. 19 Bachelor’s-walk 1845-1851. 20 Bachelor’s-walk 1852-1861. He is also recorded as voting in the City of Dublin election on 25th January 1842 for one representatives: Lord Morpeth (Election for Dublin 1842, NLI Ir 32341 d31). List of Jurors returned by Collectors of Grand Jury Cess for County of Dublin: Special Juror’s List, 1844; Affidavits filed in Cause, Queen v O’Connell, December 1843; St Mary’s Parish Names-Robert Pasley, District-18 Bachelor’s-walk, Calling of Business-Cabinet Maker, Qualification-Householder (Parl Papers 1844, Vol XLIV, pp 45)
PASLEY OR PARSLEY, William, Upholder, Upper Stand-street 1762-1775. 24 Great Stand-street 1776-1780. Freeman of the City of Dublin as a Upholder by Service, Midsummer 1739. Jonas Pasley apprenticed to his father William Pasley, as a Upholder, Michaelmas, 1765. Pasley was elected Master of the Upholders Guild from 1762-1763. Pasley voted in the Poll for electing two members to represent The City of Dublin in April 1761; Dr Charles Lucas and Ald Hunt  (NLI Ms P349).
To be sold by Auction, by William Pasley, Upholder, on Monday 28th of March, the household furniture and interest of the lease of Mrs. Wilkinson's house in Bride-street near Golden-lane (with all the fixtures) being a term for fifty years from the 25th of March 1765, at the yearly rent of 32l for which a fine has been paid, a  condisderable sum laid out.  The house id new, genteely fitted up and has a large open to the rear.  Particulars of the furniture are expressed in handbills.  The sale be being at elven o’clock and continue till all are sold.  N.B. The intrest of the lease will be sold on the 1st day of sale, precisely at one o’clock (FDJ 1768, 15th-17 March).

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Chancery Court 1848
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 May 09 09:39 BST (UK) »
According to the NA Ireland, the Chancery Court papers didn't survive the 1922 fire.
I enquired a few years ago about a Chancery Court case that lasted 1814-1847 and they had no reference of it.
I was lucky enough to find reference to the case in "The Jurist" by using google book search. 9 whole pages of it  ;D which outlined the desputed will, which was also destroyed in the fire and the case. 
I last week I was in Ireland, researching in the Registry of Deeds office, and found reference to the initial marriage settlement in 1778 which the whole case seemed to hinge on.

I'm surprised there was ever a case! The marriage settlement and Will looked straightforward to me, but then when lawyers and barristers smelled money they appeared to dragged it out!   

to add, there may be a memorial in the Reg of Deeds, Dublin, as leases had to be transferred....  the LDS has films of the indexes and also by year.
Could be a long haul
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.