Author Topic: Duncan, Dennistoun, Smith  (Read 3398 times)

Offline apduncan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Duncan, Dennistoun, Smith
« on: Friday 28 January 05 16:47 GMT (UK) »
First time I post in this forum. My Duncan ancestors were originally from Strathblane and Glasgow; they were related to James and Alexander Dennistoun and Archibald Smith, leading merchants in Glasgow.

I'm searching for more information on the following persons living in Dublin, Ireland (1772? - 1820):

Name                               Address

William Duncan, Esq        34, Charlemont Street, merchant
John Duncan, Esq              6, Granby Rd., merchant
James Duncan, Esq          17, Eccles Street (a Hospital now), W Indies Trader
Leland Crosthwait, Bart    Bank of Ireland, Bank Director
Rebecca Duncan
Agnes Duncan
Jane Duncan
Margaret Duncan

John Craig

David Taylor                      Eden Quay (agent of the Dublin, Glasgow &
                                         Cork Steam Packet Company). Edendale.

A son of William Duncan, James Duncan emigrated to Barranquilla, Colombia, South America, on or about 1815 and his brother William followed him later. James Duncan, the son, married Jane Anne Emily Dimmock in 1823 in Colombia and their two children were sent to Ireland (?) and/or England to study. I have reason to believe they lived with David Taylor in Edendale in the early 1830s... but I'm not sure.

The son of James Duncan, Esq., married a daughter of Leland Crosthwait and became the manager of the Bank of Ireland in Sligo. I have more info on him.

I've hit a brickwall trying to get more info/data on my ancestors in Ireland... it has been difficult. I'm interested in the mercantile trade in Dublin in early 1800s.

Any help is appreciated.
Duncan, Craig, Taylor, Crosthwait, Sellar, Dennistoun, Baird, Fox, Malet, Lewis, Dimmock, Allan, McIndoe