Author Topic: Gillott/Jillott/Jellott, Birth/Baptisim Lookup  (Read 4547 times)

Offline Tymes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gillott/Jillott/Jellott, Birth/Baptisim Lookup
« on: Friday 05 September 08 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am trying to find birth/baptisim records for my grt grt grandfathers Joseph Gillotts family. Joseph, b abt 1830, as per 1851 census, was born in Holmfirth, Yorkshire, His father was Jonas Gillott, spelt as Jellott in IGI, I beleive his mother was Mary, I have found a Jonas marrying a Mary Peace 1813, Kirkburton, the oldest child that I have found so far was Lydia b abt 1824, I am sure there would have been some born before her. We have checked parish records of churches in and immediately around Holmfirth, with no luck.
Jonas & Marys children we have to date are, Lydia b abt 1824, Sarah b abt 1826, John b abt 1828, Joseph b abt 1830, Mary b abt,  1834, Henry b abt 1836, Emma b abt 1839, & Simeon b abt 1840. Most seem to have been born in Thurstonland. Any help would be greatly appreciated 
Kimberley, Warwickshire
Gillott, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Derbyshire
Leaf, Yorkshire

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Gillott/Jillott/Jellott, Birth/Baptisim Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 January 09 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi
As you say there is there is no Joseph Jillott or varients  Born/Bapt 1830. in Kirkburton or around parish registers.

Nothing in Almondbury that noth of river holmfirth

He could be in the of 'Overseers of the poor' Birth /bapt records oaround that time at Underbank Holmfirth thus Janas & Mary's missing siblings (Gap 1815/24) could be in that register.

I'll look into that! at Wakefield Archives WYAS  soon and get back to you on that but could be a while as weather foul here at the moment! Snow and freezing Ice
This one only
HENRY GILLOTT from IGI hugh wallis
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyYorkshire_(M-P).htm#N

bapt 30 JUN 1837   New Mill (Lower Thusonland) By Huddersfield, Yorkshire, England
Father  EDWARD GILLOTT 
  Mother  LYDIA 

No Joseph B/bapt 1830 ish from Transciptions from (On CD) kirkburton Parish 1711-1837 but could be on original church Parish register or Bishops Transciption copy of Church reg sent to the Bishop every 6 months

Born 22 July Bapt 1 st Oct 1815 Edward of Jonas Jellot wife Mary Clothier Thurstonland
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Born 12 th June Bapt 28th Aug 1825 Mary Ann of Edward JELLOT wife Lydia Weaver DearshaW
                                                                       (NEAR THURSTONLAND)
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Born 28th March Bapt 11th sept 1831Betsey of Edward Jillot of Wife Lydia Collir Ebson House ?
............................................................................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Born unknown Bapt 27th Sept 1766 Elizabeth of Edward Jittot      Occ Unknown Thustonland

...................................................................................
Born 5th June 1835 (2year wait) Bapt 27 feb 1837 Ellen of Edward Jillott of Wife Lydia  Cothier- Hebson house?
                                                                              (H on Par reg)?
............................................................................................                                                                                       
Born Unknown Bapt 15th Oct 1768 James of Edward Jillot  No occ                 Thustonland
........................................................................................
Born 14th may Bapt 15 th June 1829 James of Edward Jillot  of  wife Lydia Clothier  Ebson house?

........................................................................................
Born Unknown Bapt 1st Aug 1771 John of Edward Jillot          No occ       Thustonland

.......................................................................................
Born unknown Bapt24th Feb 1793 John ofJames Jillot            No occ       Thustonland

..........................................................................................
Born unknown Bapt 31st May 1795 Joseph of James Jittot        No occ       Thustonland

.......................................................................................
Born unknown Bapt24 Jan 1762 Sarah of Edward Jillot           No occ       Thustonland

.........................................................................................

Born unknown Bapt 27 Oct 1790 Sarah of John Jillot        no occ Bankend Thustonland

Born 10 th Jan -Bapt 1833 Sarah of Edward Jillot  Wife Lydia clothier of Ebson house?

.........................................................................................
Born 17th Sept Bapt 1807 Ann of James Jillott of wife Mary no occ of Thurstonland

......................................................................................
Born 19th June Bapt 14th Aug 1803 Edward of James Jillott Wife Mary no occ Thustonland

....................................................................................
Born 4th Nov Bapt 25th Dec 1798 Mary of James Jillott Wife Betty no occ Thustland

Best I can Do but With Jonas on other entriy and census also may be Joseph marriage Certificate for fathers name is more than proof of this Jonas as Dad and birth
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 January 09 13:53 GMT (UK) »
GIllott all Bapt no Birth dates

9 th june 1773 Benjamin of Edward  Nothing else Thurstonland
13 th Jan 1713/14 Dinah of thomas-------------"-------Grainge
25 th May 1712 Hannah of Joseph ------------------"------- Grainge thustonland
30th July 1775 HaNNAH OF Edward --------------"---------Thustonland
30th July 1731 Edward  No name Father   ---------Mother Sarah ----"----------J.Lee Whickleden
                                                         (I hav'nt a clue on this)
7th March 1713/14 (Tax end year) Joseph of Thomas ----"--Smith Place (now Brokholes)

18 th Aug 1717 Martha of Thomas--------------"---------Thurstonland
20th Dec 1719 Mary of thomas ----------------"--------- Smithy Place
                                                ( Brokholes/lower Thurstonland)

13th Jan 1722/23 Mathew of thomas-----------"---------Smithy Place

Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Tymes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 January 09 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for what you have done so far, it confirms some of what I also have found. It appears that Edward Baptised 30 Jul 1731, was a illegitimate child of Sarah, and grandfather of Jonas. Also I have found a Thomas b abt 1820, who may have been a son of Jonas & Mary, but as yet haven't been able to confirm it. I have a copy of Josephs marriage cert, which has Jonas, occupation weaver, listed has father, no mother listed.
Once again, many thanks
Kimberley, Warwickshire
Leaf, Yorkshire

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 04:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Again, you may have this but It may help others in time to come.

What is the main clue here is they were of the of the Wesleyan methodist religion which may point to the unfound yet location of siblings following roll down list after Jonas wedding! hopfuly Joseph abt 1830.
Though It would be great to have! you have the important data that would be found on it to take you back.

It may be a while as I'm looking for others just now! but will keep looking or your on my list of archive look ups.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/igi/individual_record.asp?recid=500175366566&lds=1&region=2&regionfriendly=&juris1=&juris2=&juris3=&juris4=&regionfriendly=&juris1friendly=&juris2friendly=&juris3friendly=&juris4friendly=

Jonas Jellott

Bapt  18 MAR 1792   Wesleyan, Holmfirth, Yorkshire, England

Father  John Jettott
  Mother  Hannah

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyYorkshire_(E-H).htm#H

Keep an eye on your email. one never knows.

Dob

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 05:06 GMT (UK) »
sub note

You use the word Confirmation! I use epistemology with pre- 1837 with lotts of same common names, limited (no census)info!! but yours is an uncommon name and a one parish register of any religion run down in one list year by year would confirm.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 05:37 GMT (UK) »
J.Lee. whickleden location ???? on edward 1731 bapt

J.lee could be Edwards dad

or local place name

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 January 09 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I been through all the original 50 pages 1810 - 1850 parish records of Holmfirth , overseers of the poor, all wesleyan and nonconformists chapels round Holmfirth, Newmill, Netherthong, Thursland,  Jackson Bridge, Cumberworth,and all covering them years. Also Huddersfield Anglican and Noneconformist, Denbydale. and Skelmanthorpe.

Nothing on any sibling of Jonas.?

All thats left is Highflats and deershaw quakers. quarterly meeting of friends house- Deershaw is Thurstonland. and these records are keeped at the national archives kew London

or they were not baptised!or cottage Bapts common then no records keeped
Emma birth 1838 and Simon or Simeon birth 1840  should have birth certificates.
Best I can do

Offline Tymes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 02:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Thank you once again for all you have done. On the 1841 census it shows Mary and her children living in Bank Bottom, Glossop, Hadfield, Derbyshire, Jonas was shown as living in Hollingreave, Yorkshire, do you think there could have been a possibility that some of the children could have been born in that area and perhaps baptised there.
from another family member, they have Jonas's father John marrying a Hannah Mellor, as yet I have not been able to find any record of marriage, Hannah was reportedly to have been born in Crossgatehead, Austonley, Holmfirth, with all but one of their children being baptised in the Wesleyan Chapel Holmfirth, with Martha baptised in Queen St Wesleyan, Huddersfield, mind you that is assuming that I have my information right
Once again many thanks
Cheers
Carole
Kimberley, Warwickshire
Leaf, Yorkshire