Author Topic: Resource Book: Great Western Colliery Hopkinstown  (Read 3457 times)

Offline Bethan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Resource Book: Great Western Colliery Hopkinstown
« on: Friday 05 September 08 12:30 BST (UK) »
Anyone researching the mining history of their ancestors should read this book just out, I got it from the local library.
"The Great Western Colliery Disaster" written by Gareth Harris.
It is a very informative book that deals mostly with the events of 1893 when 63 men and boys were killed at this colliery( otherwise known as the Hetty Pit)
But it also covers the period from 1850 onwards and lists the accidents and fatalities that happened during that time, there are many people mentioned and it gives a lot of details such as age, families, and where they lived, also with some of the men mentioned it tells of their activities away from the colliery.
It really is an interesting book that puts flesh on the bones (perhaps that is the wrong choice of words) I advise anyone whose ancestors came from this area of the Rhondda to read it!

Best Wishes Bethan
Denton,Barfoot,Emery in Bedford.Howells of Pembroke,Davies of Rhymney,Jones of Carmarthen.

Offline albionwriter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Resource: Albion Colliery Disaster 1894
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 August 11 01:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bethan

Gareth Harris.  I have also written another book about the Albion Colliery disaster in 1894, that has gone down well.  Available from the Pontypridd Museum.