Author Topic: KAIGO/KEGO  (Read 5864 times)

Offline Thomas 23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
KAIGO/KEGO
« on: Saturday 06 September 08 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hello!

Does anyone out there have any information to help us search on the Kego family tree? In particular, Isabel Kego in Eaglesham Renfrewshire and James Kego

Thank you

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
Re: KAIGO
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 September 08 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Thomas23

Welcome to Rootschat ;D

It helps people to help you if you state what information you already have and what information you require.

At the very least we need any dates. Do you have them in any censuses?

Joy :)
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Thomas 23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: KAIGO
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 September 08 14:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks Joy

So far I have:

James Kego, born 1731 Eaglesham, Renfrewshire, married Jean Mitchell born 1740 Carmunock.

Their son James Kego was born 1766 Eaglesahm and married Agnes McFarlane born 1766

Their daughter was Isabella Kego born 2 or 12th March 1797 Eagelsham.

Unfortunately there seem to be some discrepancies on the spelling of Kego / Kaigo between some of the parish records / certificates I have. I will have a look at what census dates I can find and add them here.

Thanks for the help and tips
Thomas

Offline pulhamdown

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: KAIGO/KEGO
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 September 08 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Thomas 23.  I`ve got quite a few Kegos in my family tree.  So far I`ve found around 18 different possible spellings!  It certainly makes life a bit more interesting.  My gt gt grandmother was Janet Kego born in 1836.  She was the granddaughter of Robert Kego and Margaret Marshall.
We may be related in a pretty distant way!

Colin

damnonii

« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 September 08 01:23 BST (UK) »
There's some info on the IGI. I don't know how much you have, if any.

James Kego m. Jean Mitchell June or July 1765 (there's 2 entries one in Carmunnock in July, 1 in Eaglesham in June.  I've seen that before but I'm not sure exactly what it means.

Did Isabella marry Thomas Cuthbertson? 20th Sep 1819, Eaglesham. That's the only marriage coming up on the IGI of the right date range.

If so this looks to be her family in 1841

Piece: SCT1841/561 Place: Eaglesham -Renfrewshire Enumeration District: 5
Civil Parish: Eaglesham Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
Folio: 5 Page: 10
Address: Eaglesham, Montgomery Sq
CUTHBERTSON Agnes F 14 Cotton Hand Loom Weaver  Renfrewshire
CUTHBERTSON John M 12   Renfrewshire
CUTHBERTSON Robert M 10   Renfrewshire
CUTHBERTSON Archibald M 1   Renfrewshire     
Page: 5/11 MACLAUGLEN Robert M 15 Cotton Hand Loom Weaver  Renfrewshire 

I'm having trouble finding them in 1851.

The children's births are all on the IGI

James 9 Jul 1820
Thomas 1 Dec 1822
Agnes 12 Mar 1825
Margaret 7 Oct 1827
John Young 12 Dec 1830
Robert 30 Jun 1833
Isabel 21 Feb 1836
Archibald 19 Nov 1837 + another 1 March 1840
William 24 June 1842

Lora

Offline Thomas 23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 September 08 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin

Great to hear from a fellow Kego descendent! We may indeed be related somewhere along the line. Did Robert or Janet have any brothers and sisters that you know of? My tree stops at James Kego and barring his son James and grand daughter Isabella that is the limit of my Kego knowledge unfortunately. It is quite an unusual name do you think? Do you know where it originates from?

Regards
Thomas

Offline Thomas 23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 September 08 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Lora

Many thanks for the response and the information you supplied. I can confirm that Isabella did marry Thomas Cuthbertson. I am descended from their son Thomas, who as you stated was born Dec 1st 1822. He married Janet Forbes b. 1824 and their daughter was Margaret Cuthbertson b.1853. I didn't have a record of the other Cuthbertson children so that information is really interesting to know and will certainly help grow my tree. Thanks Again.

Regards
Thomas

Offline cuthie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 September 08 11:33 BST (UK) »
I am also descended from a Thomas Cuthbertson born 1836 who is shown on the 1871 census with his family in Glasgow.  Thomas is stated as being born in Ireland.  On other documents it seems that the Cuthbertsons were all thread mill workers and eventually settled in the Paisley area.

There may not be any connection, but it is not often I've seen the surname Cuthbertson and thought I would reply.

Cuthie.

Offline pulhamdown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 September 08 14:25 BST (UK) »
There's some info on the IGI. I don't know how much you have, if any.

James Kego m. Jean Mitchell June or July 1765 (there's 2 entries one in Carmunnock in July, 1 in Eaglesham in June.  I've seen that before but I'm not sure exactly what it means.

Reply.  Hi Lora.  I have an extract from the old parochial register of Eaglesham which shows that James Kego from Eaglesham married Jean Mitchell from Carmunnock in the church at Eaglesham on the 14th of June 1765.  This is the one which relates to both my family tree and Thomas 23.

Did Isabella marry Thomas Cuthbertson? 20th Sep 1819, Eaglesham. That's the only marriage coming up on the IGI of the right date range.

Reply:  Yes, thats the one.  I have a date of 10/09/1819, from the Scotland`s people website, but that may be the date the banns were read.