Author Topic: What happened between 1881 and 1891 to the ag lab's ?  (Read 15323 times)

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What happened between 1881 and 1891 to the ag lab's ?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 September 08 06:26 BST (UK) »
Its slowly sinking in that we should be looking at our ancestors in the time and context in which they lived ... we can see their occupations from the censuses, but we also need to know and appreciate what was happening around them ...

For e.g. Ive been reading up about the Speenhamland system ... new to me I'm ashamed to say ...

http://www.victorianweb.org/history/poorlaw/speen.html
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nessy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 September 08 08:58 BST (UK) »
Good question.....  ???  I often wondered about that.  I had a Gt Grandfather who was an Ag Lab in the village of Clynnog N. Wales.  All of a sudden between 1891 and 1901 he turned in in St Helens Lancs as Coal Miner.  All that lovely countryside in Clynnog working outdoors, and then down a coal mine.  Makes you think doesn't it. :(
Nessy
Whitegate: Mountfield/Mounfield, Yearsley, Glover.
Rudheath: Wilkinson
Lancashire: Mounfield/Clare/ Mills/Ellis.
St Helens: Clare
Coolgardie West Australia: Clare
Llanllyfni: Jones
Clynnog: Phillips
Wick McKay
Govan Seaton

Offline Gembar

• RootsChat Member
  • Life is not a rehersal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 07 September 08 09:03 BST (UK) »
I have a number of Ag. Labs who became general labourers and carters. Then to my surprise I came across a Lawyer, my....we had gone up in the world, only to find that it had been mistranscriber and he was a sawyer!!!
Herts: Marlborough, Cobb, Knights, Wilkins
Norfolk: Engall, Tyrrell
Neath and Somerset: Bennett

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 September 08 16:09 BST (UK) »
The biggest change for my ancestors was the opening of the Lime Works (cement) in Harbury Warwickshire.
A direct ancestor gave up being an Ag Lab, moved his family over here (maybe 15 miles) and some of them worked at the actual Lime Works, while others were employed as Plate-layers for the GWR.
'twas big business in the area at the time, and while I missed it's heyday I was there at the very end when they pulled the chimneys down.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 September 08 16:22 BST (UK) »
In the Heathfield area of Sussex farmers were used to diversifying when times got tough.  Between 1881 and 1891 one of those diversifications came into play, particular with the arrival of the railway line in previous decades - chicken cramming.

It was a lucrative business locally for a decade or two before thankfully dying out in the early 20th century.  http://www.kerrysfamilyhistory.co.uk/html/william_pilbeam.html

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline LindaJ1959

• RootsChat Member
  • Florence, my Gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 07 September 08 17:09 BST (UK) »
What an interesting thread! Thank you for asking the question, Lydart. I should have known the answer, because I read a lot of fiction classics such as Gaskell in the course of my studies when I was younger, but I'm ashamed to say that I hadn't related that knowledge to the family research that I began a couple of months ago. This thread is going to help me a lot in understanding my ancestors.

Linda
Francis, Sopp, and Durrant: all in Dorset, Somerset, Wiltshire and Hampshire.
Durrant: Toronto, Canada; Los Angeles, California, USA.
Poynter, Fidler. Rolfe, Hedges and Scorey: all in Hampshire.
Allen: Dorset/Somerset/Wiltshire, and Longford, Derbyshire.
Miles: Bournemouth.

Offline stockman fred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 07 September 08 21:56 BST (UK) »
On the subject of mechanisation, the 1880s "Agricultural notebook" shows the reduction in labour which resulted from the introduction of new machinery:
"Quantity of hay cut with the old sickle- 1/4 acre per day
                              with a scythe- 3/4 to 1 acre per day                               
               with a mowing machine- 8 acres per day"
so a man on a 2 horse mower could cut 32 times the area compared to a mediaeval peasant or around 10 times as much as the  scythe-men of the early 19th century.
Harvesting cereals was transformed by the introduction of the "Self-Binding reaper" which was perfected by McCormick in 1878 and introduced to England shortly afterwards. This allowed a man to harvest an acre an hour, as opposed to an acre a day when cutting by hand.
The notebook gives the following figures for threshing the corn, which had traditionally provided winter work for labourers:
"Ave quantity thrashed per day by hand- 5qrs
                                    by horse machine-20-30qrs
                                    by steam machine-60-100qrs."
Even though the steam machine needed several men to operate it, it was still a huge labour saver.
Fred :)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 07 September 08 22:05 BST (UK) »
Fred

There is no arguing with stats like that ---- sadly for our ancestors  :-\

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 September 08 10:01 BST (UK) »
Thancs Fred ... its answered my query perfectly.

What is the booc you quoted ? 

Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk