Author Topic: What happened between 1881 and 1891 to the ag lab's ?  (Read 15235 times)

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
What happened between 1881 and 1891 to the ag lab's ?
« on: Saturday 06 September 08 18:15 BST (UK) »
It MAY only be my ancestors, but I've been searching through the censuses for all the side-lines, not the direct ones ... ag. lab's all, to a man ! 

But I've also noticed that they all changed their occupations between the 1881 and the 1891, and seem to have moved up a little in the world.   No longer ag. lab's by 1891, they were carters, farmers, bakers, coastguard, publican ... so what happened in the history of rural Dorset, Wiltshire, Hampshire, or England generally at that time, that gave them a boost ?? 

Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What happened between 1881 and 1891 to the ag lab's ?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 September 08 18:48 BST (UK) »
I think it was due the mechanisation of farming.  Farm workers who had happily stayed close to their roots following the same occupations as their fathers had to look further afield for work.  Some did better for themselves than others.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yonderpeasant

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • be with you in a minute
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 September 08 18:53 BST (UK) »
There was a general  depression in agriculture due to many factors including increasing mechanisation.The older generation tended to migtrate to find farm work but this was not always available.With the Poor Laws and Workhouse to worry about they were forced to diversify.Obviously for some this was a positive thing but many were forced to take what was available.
 If you look at the housing  details through the various censuses you can see farms vanishing to be taken over by towns.Umfortunately for every small business you can find many households earning their keep factory work or heavy industry.
My own bunch of exclusively ag labs moved  accross counties to become cotton workers then potters then eventually back to the land with the collapse of each industry.Only one branch became relatively successful in seting up a small brewing business but alas the war put paid to that.
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Ridgway.  
 Salop.Lancs.Stoke on Trent.
Colclough.Ackley.Adams.Harris.James
 Longton  Stoke on trent Staffs.
Scholes.Collinge
 Middleton Lancs.
Gogerty.Deavonporte
Salop.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 September 08 21:51 BST (UK) »
At the beginning of the 19th Century one in every three people occupied in Britain was in Agriculture, by the start of the 20th century it was one in every ten, and by the middle of the 20th Century it was one in every twenty.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 September 08 23:49 BST (UK) »
I hadn't thought of the mechanisation of farming ... good point ...

Nowadays we even have combines that don't need a man to drive them ... saw one on the TV the other day, remote controlled and using sat-nav technology to position it ...  what would great grand-daddy think of that !
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 September 08 00:07 BST (UK) »
Mine were all a labs up to that point, and then they all moved off to be other things. Mostly "general labourers".

It was when the industrial revolution was completely changing the face of the country. Read your Trollope and Mrs Gaskill and discover the horrors that the ag labs (and others) faced.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 September 08 00:16 BST (UK) »
Its to their credit that they were able to take on other jobs ...

Offline stockman fred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 September 08 00:59 BST (UK) »
Generally, the agricultural economy was in depression from the 1870s on, but some areas bucked the trend.Where we live on the Hampshire/Dorset border, there was a mini-boom in the dairy industry in the 1880-1900 period which seems to have altered the rural economy. I think it resulted from both improved rail transport and from a growing population in towns such as Bournemouth.
My folks managed to better themselves in that period by first entering into share-farming arrangements, then taking on dairy farms in their own right. This probably only occured in the more suitable valleys such as the Avon, Stour and Blackmore Vale but it seemed to have a marked impact on the local farming scene. The local estates built many new small dairy farms up and down the valley where we live in the 1890s to cash in on the boom by renting them out.
In the library, I came across a book written by the vicar in about 1896 and he mentions the changes- he complains that the more able young men had moved away to seek better employment when the depression worsened, but the dairy -boom allowed the less ambitious ones who were left to survive on a fairly poor level of farming (as he saw it! :) )
He also complained that smallholdings on the East Dorset Heaths were being bought up by middle-class folks who had moved out from Bournemouth thinking that they could run market gardens, only to find that the poor soil soon led to failure.
Fred :)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 September 08 01:03 BST (UK) »
Lydart

I'm glad you asked the question.  It has made me realise I should look more carefully at the occupations of my ancestors and see when and why they changed.  I have quite a few who moved from agriculture to trawler fishing in the 1850/60s, so I guess a similar change was taking place then. 

Lizzie