Author Topic: Look up Phelan in Kilkenny  (Read 17757 times)

Offline Patzy_C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dia dhuit!
    • View Profile
Re: Look up Phelan in Kilkenny
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Bob.
I'm a Coady descendant, my Grandmother was a Coady who lived around Urlingford parish. I have searched in Fennor Graveyard for any Cody or Coadys and found none but there are plenty of Coady headstones in The Mill Cemetery Urlingford including my Grandmother and some of her siblings and her parents too.
I saw your post on connorsgenealogy.com/Kilkenny I have emailed you.
I look forward to your reply
Patzy
Callaghan/O`Callaghan and Cody/Coady, Nolan/Nowlan, Grace, Mahoney, Armstrong, Grattan, Carter of Fennor & Rathbeg & the parish of Gortnahoe, Co. Tipperary.
Urlingford town & Urlingford parish. Co.Kilkenny. Ireland.

Also Hughes from Galway, Herward/Hereward and (O)Shaughnessy from Dooghta Clonbur, Galway Ireland.

Offline susankennedy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hi all.  I'm keen to follow up with some of you re a man named Patrick Cody who married Mary Phelan in Clifden Kilkenny.  I have a wide spread of records for them:  marriage in Clifden 1813, birth of son David born Clifden 1814, birth of daughter Margaret born Clifden 1822, birth of daughter Mary in Clifden 1825, birth of son Ned in Ballyhale 1829, birth of daughter Biddy (Bridget) in Ballyhale 1832, birth of son James in Ballyhale 1833.  The dates seem a fair way apart but could have been miscarriages, etc.  I'm particularly interested in the child named Biddy who migrated to Australia.  I am more particularly interested to know more about Patrick Cody's family. On the death certificate for Biddy in Australia in 1899 her parents were listed as Patrick Cody and Mary Whelan.  I'm thinking it's a typo!!???   Any help would be appreciated.
Susan Kennedy

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 21:26 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Susan. :)
Quite common to have Phelans called Whelans.  One Whelan man I know, went to look for the grave of his Whelan grandparents.  When he could not find it, he asked an old local man, who said "sure they were Phelans!"

Conahy

Offline jfchaly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 21:43 BST (UK) »
There is a headstone in Gowran Co Kilkenny the older generation were Whelan and the younger generation Phelans. Same family.

Good luck with your research

Jfch

Offline susankennedy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 March 18 12:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your replies.  I guess that settles the discrepancy in name.
Where would I find a complete list of Gowran cemetery records.  I wonder if Patrick Cody and Mary Whelan/Phelan are buried there?  I can't find anything about them on ancestry, and being so far away........
Susan

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 30 March 18 12:27 BST (UK) »
http://kilkennygraveyards.blogspot.ie/2017/03/st-marys-gowran-county-kilkenny-part-1_31.html

This is a link for St Marys Church in Gowran. 

The Church of the Assumption  (RC)  has a very large graveyard but is not recorded on line as far as I know.

Offline jfchaly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 01 April 18 20:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your replies.  I guess that settles the discrepancy in name.
Where would I find a complete list of Gowran cemetery records.  I wonder if Patrick Cody and Mary Whelan/Phelan are buried there?  I can't find anything about them on ancestry, and being so far away........
Susan
Headstone At Church of the Assumption Gowran  (Roman Catholic)
Erected by Thomas Whelan of Grove in memory of his brother Kyran who died 19 Feb 1887 aged 38
Also his father Michael Whelan who died 19 May 1887 aged 75 years and his mother Mary Whelan who died 16 Dec 1890 aged 78 years
Also Margaret Phelan died 21 Nov 1937 aged 80 and Michael Phelan died 22 Jan 1961 aged 70
His wife Josephine Phelan died 1 Aug 1988 aged 84 years
Their son Thomas died 17 Feb 1994 aged 55 years

No maiden names given for wives. Thomas who died in 1994 lived in Kyle townland which lies between Gowran and Dunbell. Relations of this Thomas still live in the surrounding area.
Jfch

Offline jfchaly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 02 April 18 19:46 BST (UK) »
St Mary's Gowran Co Kilkenny

Mary Casteleyn and Bernie Kirwan recorded the inscriptions. They were published in " In the Shadow of the Steeple number 12. Book published 2015.

Here lieth the body of John Phelan late of Garryduff who died Aug 26th 1804 aged 20 yrs
Also his brother Nicholas Phelan Garryduff died on 15th July 1820 aged 44 years

Here lieth the body of Thos Phelan who died Sept 2nd 1810 aged 71 years. Also his wife Mary Phelan als Bealy who died April 12 1819 aged 75 years. Also his son James Phelan who died Dec 23rd 1794 aged 4 years

Erected by John Phelan of the city of Kilkenny in memory of Bridget Phelan alias White who died Aug 12th 1831 aged 54 years. Also his eldest son James Phelan who died 20 July 1818 and their son Patrick who died 26th March 1813

Jfch

Offline jfchaly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 02 April 18 19:54 BST (UK) »
St Marys Gowran Co Kilkenny. Recorded by Mary Casteleyn and Bernie Kirwan.
Published in "In the Shadow of the Steeple" number 12

Elen Whelan of Gowran who died Jan 5th 1889
Brid Thom and Dan who died Jan 1889, also their mother Margaret Whelan died 1915 aged 47 years

Jfch