Author Topic: Why at Savona, Italy ??  (Read 13954 times)

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
Re: Why at Savona, Italy ??
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 06:49 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Davers,
                               Thanks for your input. I would be grateful and ,am sure our members would be delighted if you could copy the photos and add to this thread. My uncle Jack could well be one of the men on your Grandads' group photo at Damascus.
                                                          Thanks Roger.
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline Davers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 16:22 BST (UK) »
This is the picture on my Grandfather (White shirt ) in Damascus 1917 with 906th mt company, one of the survivors of the Transylvania troop ship torpedo attack.

Offline jay_kd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 November 16 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys I would love to find out more details about  Sgt Jack Waghorn and Davers your Grandfather, I'm doing some research for our Squadrons  centenary  next year, we started as 906th now part of 150 RLC

Hope you can help.

Offline Davers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 November 16 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys I would love to find out more details about  Sgt Jack Waghorn and Davers your Grandfather, I'm doing some research for our Squadrons  centenary  next year, we started as 906th now part of 150 RLC

Hope you can help.
My father had my grandfathers service records but I think they have been cleared from his house now but I could request copies again.
All I know was he was one of the survivors from the Transylvania sinking (he was a Lt with the 906th ) and they were picked up and taken to Savona.
There is a memorial and cemetery at Savona for those that were lost on the ship my parents went there 20 years ago to visit.

Offline jay_kd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 November 16 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Davers any information would be fantastic, we are planning on displaying any details up in our Bar/Mess What was your Grandfathers name?

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 November 16 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jay_kd,
                Thanks for your interest in my Uncle.
Sergeant M/205017. 906th Mechanical Transport Company, Army Service Corps (ASC). Died Thursday 4th July 1918 aged 22 years. John (known as Jack) was the youngest son of John and Frances Waghorn. Although his Brothers, Leon and Walter got through the first world war unscathed Jack died on active service in Palestine (now Israel). Their other son, Charlie was not medically fit for the Army. Jack is buried at Ramley Cemetery in Israel.
Jack is commemorated on the War Memorials, at Chilham, and Headcorn.Kent

With reference to my earlier post the third photo is the Memorial cross for the Transylvania Disaster.
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 December 18 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello all, Merry Christmas.
I was delighted the other day when a cousin sent me this photo. She had found among her family archives.It must have been sent to my Grandma and Grandad ,by a mate of John/Jack, after his death.It shows a panoramic view of Ramleh and the 906 Company Camp site. Ramley is now named Ramla and is a few miles S/E of Tel Aviv.
       The text reads:-
                               The tents to the right of the photo is the place Jack's Company was when I went to see him. Seeing these photo,s I thought you would like to have them.This was taken from the Old Tower.
                                                         Roger.
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 December 18 20:53 GMT (UK) »
           I was checking through some letters sent to my Grandparents Jacks Mum and Dad from Palestine .I was trying to establish who  the photo was sent by, by comparing the hand writing.
           One letter revealed (which I hadnt realised before) the identity of the other Serjeant on the camel behind Jack in the photo of them and the Sphinx at Cairo.He was HARRY WOOLDRIDGE a mate in Jacks 906 Co. RAOC. I have checked CWGC and harry appears to have survived the War.
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

Offline Davers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 October 22 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Davers any information would be fantastic, we are planning on displaying any details up in our Bar/Mess What was your Grandfathers name?

My Grandfathers name was
 Lt Henry Charles Russell Smith