Author Topic: McDevitts from Owey Island  (Read 22365 times)

Offline charlieboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McDevitts from Owey Island
« on: Friday 28 January 05 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know of any McDevitts from Owey Island, Donegal ?
McDevitt, Owey Island, Donegal.

Offline rmcgonigle

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: McDevitts from Owey Island
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 March 05 05:13 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather, Daniel McGonigle, born in Bayonne, New Jersey is the son of Dan Andy McGonigle (McGonagle) of Owey.  On his brother's baptismal certificate his godparents were William McDevitt and Maggie McDevitt.  They had to also be Owey Islanders. 

Offline frank gallagher

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 May 05 20:34 BST (UK) »
hello charlieboy, my fathers from owey in his time there were 28 families in owey-3 mc devitt. one family moved to scotland about 1950 and sold their house to my uncle dan gallagher [charlie] can find out more if you need it. regards   frank gallagher

Offline joandy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 July 05 17:37 BST (UK) »
My mother, Mary McDevitt, was born on Owey Island.  She left in 1940s.  Now lives in Glasgow.

Offline maeeye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 September 05 05:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Board,

Well how lovely, after so many years, to see other people researching the surname McDevitt,, I have an ancestor, Catherine Malone who married one John McDevitt, his army papers says he came from Raffee Donegal, after much digging we came up with Raphoe, so I hope I am in the right area.

John joined the British army in 1820, aged 20, served  for approx 23 yrs, ending his time in the army 1838, discharged in Tasmania,

On John's enlistement papers it says his trade was a Miner, he was aged 18 yrs 6 months, which has him born abt Dec 1800..he has the following children,, Mary, Catherine, Ellen, John and possibly William. One would think they would be family names, but of course they could be from Catherines side of the family.

I did find an Andrew McDevitt who was in the 76th Foot Regt born Roffee, Donegal, discharged aged 21 after five yrs service 1805.

I have to wonder if John and Andrew are related, no proof of course.

If anyone has seen either of these gentlemens names  or rather anyone who may fit the profile could you please email me, that would be wonderful.

Thank you for your time.
Regards
From Australia
Mae Bone

Offline shaz66

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 November 05 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I seen owey island recently while on a touring holiday and was wondering could you give me any information on it?? eg: population, date last inhabitnat left, anything really, many thanks

Offline Dan McGinley

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 February 06 11:41 GMT (UK) »
A Shearlais,

The original McDevitt came from Glenties. He had a relationship with a McGonigle woman from the island. I can let you have the family genealogy down to the 1950/60s if you email me offline.

Cheers

Dan

Offline charlieboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 February 06 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Dan, that would be great! My e-mail is  MODERATOR COMMENT:email address removed to avoid spam. Please use personal message system to share email addresses. Thank You
Many thanks Charlie.
McDevitt, Owey Island, Donegal.

Offline caimein

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 07:51 BST (UK) »
I have a Jane (Mary Jane)  McDevitt who was born in   Raphoe c 1825. Her parents were James McDevitt and Margaret Porter. Jane came to Australia as an assisted migrant in 1844. She was travelling under the protection of Andrew Wilson and his family who were also from Raphoe. Jane was an Episcopalian and could read and write.
Any information appreciated.
Regards
Caimein
Australia