Author Topic: Advice sought on Muller orphanages  (Read 73649 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Advice sought on Muller orphanages
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 September 08 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hello again

(And hi Graceland - long time no speak - hope you're well?)

The parts of Bristol that are south of the river (Bedminster for example) were considered to be in Somerset.  You're quite lucky in that this narrows it down considerably!

I wonder if it would be worth bothering the Muller people again?  Just in case they overlooked something?  If they could provide an alternative identity for the person it might ease your mind.

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 September 08 11:13 BST (UK) »
Bristol was in neither Gloucestershire or Somerset (since 1376?) following the granting of County status to the city by Edward 111. It was always known as "The City & County of Bristol" and had its own Sheriff as well as a  Mayor.
Historically the heart of the old city was in Glos, and as Arranroots has pointed out, Bedminster & the present south of the city were in Somerset. I've found a lot of confusion in census records though - its often desribed as being in one county or the other without any good reason

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 September 08 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

Yes, I remember they used to have some really smart road signs proclaiming the City and County of Bristol.

They were removed when Avon came into being in the 1970s ...  ::) :P

For census purposes though, I think we can say that she came from "south of the river".  :D

Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Aks

• RootsChat Senior
  • Photo - Annie Pomeroy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 September 08 18:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Arranroots and Steve for your postings.

It is effectively a good idea to perhaps ask the orphanage who the MSF was on the census if it wasn't her. I should have thought of that. However, I'm reluctant to bombard them with too many questions. At the moment, I am sort of in a "state of denial" where I refuse to believe the idea that she was not in fact there. However, your additional indication that she must have been south of the river seems to raise a further question as, as far as I can see (forgive my ignorance), Ashley Down is north of the river. I am now looking for what areas or towns south of the river would have been considered part of Bristol in the late 19th century. Presumably, Bedminster is the main one, as you mention it.

Thanks for all this food for thought.

Alan
Sillitoe, Froude, Partington, Rochford

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sheena58

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 April 09 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My grandfather and his siblings were in the Ashley Down Orphan Houses although later than your great grandmother. They have a small museum which I visited a couple of years ago and it is possible if you contact them in advance to see the original record books which were meticulously kept. The amount of detail recorded was fascinating although this was in 1901 so earlier records may not have been so clear. They even state the name, address and trade of the person the children went to work for on leaving the orphan houses and whether that person was 'a good Christian' or 'doubtful'!
I would suggest contacting them again and asking your questions directly to them. I found them very helpful and when I contacted them they sent me the original Victorian birth, marriage and death certificates from my family along with copies of every single record they held from the admission and discharge books to letters from my great, great grandparents. In fact they provided me with a small, very sad 'potted-history'.
Good luck
MacKay/McKay: Glasgow, Inverness,Tarbat & RedCastle Scotland.  Toronto, Canada.
McAulay/MacAulay: Caithness, Sutherland,Glasgow.
Dallas: Inverness.
Fraser: Tarbat.
Whyte: Avoch, Knockbain.
Mynard/Cannom/Harridance: any
Barrenger/Stapleton: Kent
Hoare: Hoo/Maidstone
Baker/Wood: Boughton Malherbe
Saltmarsh: Maldon district.
Smith: Dunmow/Stow Maries.
Anderson/Rash: Cambs
Pegg/Garner:Norfolk/Cambs
Bruce:Caithness
Larance/Comer: Norfolk
Kimmence: Suffolk
Bruster/Coote: Essex

Offline Aks

• RootsChat Senior
  • Photo - Annie Pomeroy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 April 09 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheena,

Thank you very much for your reply and for this invaluable information.

Yes, I did contact them and they said that my great grandmother was definitely not there! This really surprised me as I had spent months tracking her down on the 1861 census and I felt sure she was there : everything seemed to match, even if only the initials of the children were given, MSF in her case. Also, I wondered how could they be so sure, when there are often mistranscriptions of her surname, Froude. I was very disappointed. The information you apparently obtained would have been invaluable in Martha Froude's case, because I really want to find out how she ended up in the Devon House of Mercy 10 years later. So it felt like I really came up against a blockage. I don't want to "pester" them too much, so I suppose I would need to come up with some additional evidence before contacting them again.

Anyway, glad to hear you got such useful information from them.

Best wishes,

Alan

Offline Aks

• RootsChat Senior
  • Photo - Annie Pomeroy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 13:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks again to Sheena (and those who replied previously). In response to your inspiration, I recontacted the Muller foundation who found my great grandmother under a different spelling of the name. It seems effectively that they have quite a few interesting documents that I can order and they are certainly very helpful, so I would encourage anyone in a similar situation to contact them.

Alan

Offline sheena58

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 13:41 BST (UK) »
That's wonderful news Alan, so glad to be of help. As I said before they provoded me with all sorts of treasures. I would be fascinated to hear what you find. :)

Sheena
MacKay/McKay: Glasgow, Inverness,Tarbat & RedCastle Scotland.  Toronto, Canada.
McAulay/MacAulay: Caithness, Sutherland,Glasgow.
Dallas: Inverness.
Fraser: Tarbat.
Whyte: Avoch, Knockbain.
Mynard/Cannom/Harridance: any
Barrenger/Stapleton: Kent
Hoare: Hoo/Maidstone
Baker/Wood: Boughton Malherbe
Saltmarsh: Maldon district.
Smith: Dunmow/Stow Maries.
Anderson/Rash: Cambs
Pegg/Garner:Norfolk/Cambs
Bruce:Caithness
Larance/Comer: Norfolk
Kimmence: Suffolk
Bruster/Coote: Essex

Offline Aks

• RootsChat Senior
  • Photo - Annie Pomeroy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheena,

It sounds like it could be a while before I can get hold of the documents, but I'll let you know how I get on.

Best wishes,

Alan