Author Topic: "supressed district of Tradeston"  (Read 4589 times)

Offline scottm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"supressed district of Tradeston"
« on: Monday 08 September 08 21:14 BST (UK) »
I have found a certificate where a death is listed and they have written that it was in "the supressed district of Tradeston". Can anyone shed any light on this use of language?
MUIR (Fife)
MITCHELL (Perthshire)
McINTOSH (Glasgow,Ross and C, Perthshire)
NAISMITH (Partick,Glasow)
MARQUIS (Dumbartonshire)
STORRAR/STORRIER (Fife)
SCOTT (Howe of Fife)

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
Re: "supressed district of Tradeston"
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 00:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Scottm,
that's a new one on me.

When you say "they" have written, is that on the original document, or has somebody added that?

What era are you talking about?

Any chance you could scan it and let us see it? (you can only post a part of the document to avoid breech of copyright).

Otherwise, post GROS ref or enough info that will allow us to look ourselves.

Dave
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline scottm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 11:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry I don't have a scanner.
This is taken from the death certificate of Margaret Evans, born 17th October 1877 Tradeston. I bought this from SP ref 644/13 0721. In the section for parents and place of marriage it says
"Richard Adolphus Evans, Groom (domestic servant), Margaret Craig, cotton powerloom weaver, widow of Archibald Mcdairmid, cab driver, who died in the suppressed District of Tradeston on March 2nd 1871"

I am trying to find out who and where Richard Evans is and is from. I know he is English and was born circa 1846. In the 1881 census the family are living at 63 King st , Govan and his age is given as 35. I think I have found the family in the 1891 census but he gives his name as Thomas. They are living at 47 Hospital st , Govan.

cheers Scott.
MUIR (Fife)
MITCHELL (Perthshire)
McINTOSH (Glasgow,Ross and C, Perthshire)
NAISMITH (Partick,Glasow)
MARQUIS (Dumbartonshire)
STORRAR/STORRIER (Fife)
SCOTT (Howe of Fife)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 11:52 BST (UK) »
I've no idea what it means, but here's another reference to a Scottish district being "suppressed" (albeit hundreds of years earlier!)

TRAQUAIR, a parish, in the county of Peebles, 8 miles (S. E.) from Peebles; containing 682 inhabitants. This place, of which the name is supposed to be a modification of Strath-Quair, or "the Valley of the river Quair," is not distinguished by many incidents of historical importance: the Marquess of Montrose, however, is said to have rested here, at the house of the Earl of Traquair, on the night after the battle of Philiphaugh. In 1674, the greater portion of the ancient parish of Kailzie, which was at that time suppressed, was united to this parish, and the remainder to the parish of Innerleithen.

From: 'Todhills - Turriff', A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1846), pp. 546-567. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=43484. Date accessed: 10 September 2008.

Anna :)
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

Hate to say this, 'cos Dave will be at me again  ;D ;D ;D

I found it relating to Roman Catholic parishes and searched for definitions. This is what I've found:

Suppression is a Catholic term for the formal disbanding of a parish. It differs from the more common practice of merging parishes.

http://www.answers.com/topic/suppression

Last entry on page  :)

It seems to have occurred in many places not just Scotland. Genuki is full of such instances.

It looks as if Tradeston may have been  'suppressed' and the district added to Govan  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***