Author Topic: Robert Dennis Chantrell  (Read 5523 times)

Offline terrynz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Dennis Chantrell
« on: Monday 08 September 08 21:24 BST (UK) »
I have just joined and am hoping this is the correct way to find information!

My great great grandfather , RD Chantrell, an architect who designed and built St Peter's in Leeds, lived in a house called Oatlands House.  It was situated in Little London, Leeds.  I believe it was demolished some time ago and "affordable housing"  was built on the site.  My question is:  does any really kind person know if there are any pictures of the house available still?  I would be very grateful for any ideas on where to search.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Dennis Chantrell
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 September 08 21:41 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat

Not a picture of the house for you- but something which once stood in the garden

Just put The leeds Cross into a search engine

interesting story

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 September 08 21:55 BST (UK) »
I found some pictures of Oatland Houses on this site http://www.leodis.net/

Hope this helps
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline terrynz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 September 08 22:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sylviaan, you are very good.  I will look at the site.  Terry

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 June 09 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Terry

I wonder if he is the same Robert Dennis CHANTRELL who was the grandfather of Caroline Louisa Margaretta CHANTRELL [1857-1935] who married George Hunter PEERS [1846-1914]  in 1888 at St Hilary's Church, Wallasey, Cheshire.  Her father was John Boham CHANTRELL[1815-1899].  George was my 1st cousin, three times removed.

Cheers
Cando ....in Australia

Offline rolandlondon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 June 12 03:02 BST (UK) »
Robert Dennis Chantrell 1734-1811 Married to Dinah (Messman) 1735-1807 Died Bruges

Robert Dennis Chantrell's father was Thomas Chantrell and his mother was Mary (speakman) who died in Salisbury England.

Robert Dennis Chantrell is also famed as the architect of the cathedral in Bruges I think?
Edwards Muskett Holmes Wright Cain Hunter Sewell Hunter-Muskett Shrapnell Bowden Walker Jelf Dowell Tiley

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 June 12 07:02 BST (UK) »
Hi rolandlondon :)

Welcome to rootschat  :)

Robert Dennis CHANTRELL 1793-1872 was the architect.  His father was also Robert Dennis CHANTRELL as was his eldest son [1814-] brother to John Boham CHANTRELL [1815-1899] whose dau Caroline, married my 1st cousin three times removed.

Robert, the architect was married twice and you and perhaps the OP  who is possibly descended from Marion Felicity Dennis CHANTRELL [dau from his 2nd marriage to Mary Elizabeth DEAR who married Frank LISLE and emigrated to New Zealand in the late 1880s]  may be interested in the snippet posted from the The Pall Mall Gazette ( London, England ), Friday, April 23, 1875; Issue 3176 - transcribed here.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0nh7/

There is much about Robert, the architect, on the net.

Cheers  :)
Cando

Offline rolandlondon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 June 12 14:13 BST (UK) »
Aha

My Great Grandparents were Gladys May Duffin and Henry Cain who unfortunately I never met I think my Great Great Grandfather might be Robert Dennis too? I'm new to all this geneology stuff and have a whole heap of info my Grandafter Ozanne Peter Edwards collected before the age of computers! I have emigrated to Australia so it would be quite ironic to have distant family in NZ too!?
Edwards Muskett Holmes Wright Cain Hunter Sewell Hunter-Muskett Shrapnell Bowden Walker Jelf Dowell Tiley

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 07:13 BST (UK) »
How do you think you are related to Robert Dennis CHANTRELL the architect?  More curious than anything else.

Your great parents are Gladys May DUFFIN and Henry CAIN so am puzzled how Robert Dennis CHANTRELL who died in 1872 is your great great grandfather.

Robert's two daughters did not marry either a DUFFIN or a CAIN.

Is that your grandfather Ozanne Peter EDWARDS who died in 1991 and was born in 1917? I can't find his birth registration, possibly mistranscribed.

I haven't researched this area of the family history in great depth as I was really only interested in the connection with Caroline Louisa Margaretta CHANTRELL, who married my 1st cousin, three times removed and who was the dau of John Botham CHANTRELL and grand daughter of Robert Dennis CHANTRELL the architect.

Cheers
Cando