Author Topic: Elizabeth CONNER in VDL  (Read 23213 times)

Offline johngirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dad and his cousins.
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth CONNER in VDL
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 05 February 11 22:42 GMT (UK) »
I will give Garry a reminder that you are still waiting for the information that he most kindly has found for you. :)

Johngirl
JOHN- Pembrokeshire Wales.  FREEMAN -England?
MEDLICOT -Monmouthshire Wales.
ISAAC -Gloucestershire and Liverpool.[Toxteth Park] SNOW- England .Convict. FRAZER- England.Convict.
DEAL -Ireland .Convict.
KEMP -Saint Mary Cray Kent.Eynsford Wilmington England.Convict.
BLACKBERRY -Whitechapel .Convict. CONDON -alias
DUFFY-Brighton England. Convict.
BANTICK -Ixworth Sussex England. Convict.
JONES England????[George]Convict.
ROSE-England. Convict.
All came to Tas

Offline Rochdalian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth CONNER in VDL
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 06 February 11 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Johngirl

Bob
Pearson - Yorkshire
Flinders - Notts/Lincs/Lyon
Dearden - Rochdale
Grindrod - Rochdale
Reynolds - Staffs/Cornwall
Tortoishell - Staffs
Cooper, Freeman, Parnell, Love, Hargreaves - Rutland
Maslen - Wiltshire/Victoria, Australia
Kenny - Germany
Edwards - Greater London/Victoria, Australia
Bartlett, Gee, Padbury - Northants
Rampoley, Allom - Suffolk
Detlefsen, Herse, Iversen, Boisen/Boysen - Denmark
Xylander - Germany
Dundon - Co Limerick
Mullins - Devon

Offline OKernel2

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Conner in VDL
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 11:29 BST (UK) »
For WEBBY:

"I'm still trying to find that very illusive Thomas Prangnall/Pregnell who arrived here sometime in the early 1820's.  I personally think he may have swam from England.   ::)  "

Hi Webby,

I am currently researching the family tree of my Granddaughter-in-law which is largely Tasmanian based.  One branch leads back to Thomas PRANGNALL (abt 1806 - 1844) who I notice is in your ancestral line as well.  Thomas is a bit of an enigma because very little seems to be known about his background.  I thought that I might share with you what I know, hoping that it will help you, and perhaps you have something that can help me.

Thomas first raises his head with me in 1826 when he marries Sarah PRESNELL, one of the daughters of William and Ann PRESNELL (nee FOWLER), both emancipated convicts.  William owns a pub in Glenorchy called the Black Snake Inn, and in 1828 Thomas takes over the license from William's son Thomas, and runs it (not very well by accounts) for a couple of years.  As an aside, in 1833 William sells the pub to another son-in-law, the more industrious George ROBINSON, who builds on it a grand new Black Snake Inn that still stands today.  1833 also finds that Thomas and Sarah have moved to Hobart, but I have not discovered what he does for a living, although before marriage he apparently was a butcher.  In July 1839 he was either staying or visiting Sarah's older brother Joseph's house in Murray Street, Hobart where the recently widowed Mother-in-law Ann was also living, when they got "on the piss" and wife Sarah, who was of poor health, died of "an epileptic fit, induced by intoxication" (coroner). Five years later, in 1844, Thomas himself dies from "madness", whatever that means.

That brings me to the subject of Thomas's early life which is my main focus now.  He was not a transported convict, nor can I find any record of immigration or other family members in Australia.  Given his age and circumstances when he first comes on the scene in 1826 (20, perhaps 26 years old) marrying the sister of a sealer’s (George Robinson) wife, and the fact that he had run a butchery some time before that, tells me that he possibly came off a sealing vessel in his teens, by which time, the sealing industry had virtually wiped itself out from over-harvesting.  Although there were a lot of American sealers in the area at the time, the surname “PRANGNALL” is unusual in America.  It is more associated with England, particularly Hampshire and Wiltshire, and even there it is not particularly common.  Currently I am trying to find a UK connection.

Hope you can get something out of this.  Regards,