Author Topic: Mary Ann Scott & James Kelly.  (Read 8863 times)

Offline annette ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Ann Scott & James Kelly.
« on: Tuesday 09 September 08 06:51 BST (UK) »
I am hoping that someone may be able to help me find some information regarding Mary Ann Scott and James Kelly. ;D

What I know is that James and Mary married when ?? and they had a daughter Mary Ann Kelly who was 18 years old when she married a Anthony Christie in 1890 in the Parish of Kilsyth, County of Sterling.
I am hoping that someone can help me with any info about Mary Ann Scott and any family that there may be.

Regards
Annette :)
Dundee, Montrose, Perthshire, Errol,- Ireland , Birmingham, Huddersfield, England, Rotterdam, Holland.
Kettles, Kettle, Young, Archibald, Smith, Greive, Philp, Gibson, Mason, Bent, White, Cunneen, Cahill, Pratt, Frost, Bridges, Mothersole, Money, Roche/Roach, Lenehan/ Linehan/ Linahan, Leonard, Sayles, Waren/Warren, Johnson, Berigan/Bergin/Berrigan/Birgin, Janssen.
Steel, McNab, Christie, Kelly, Fraser.

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Scott & James Kelly.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 09:57 BST (UK) »
Given the info you have, I played about on SP to try and narrow things down.
Try deaths,

Surname "scott"
Forename: "mary"  *will retun any names with Mary, ie, Mary Ann, Mary A, Mary Anne....
Other Surname "kelly"
Sex: "Female"
Year From: 1872; Year To: 1972; *extremes!!

Only 8 results, none in Stirling.  1 Mary Ann - too young but ages on death certs often wrong.

Might be worth a look at each - online will cost £1 GBP

You might get lucky on the first search ;D

Dave
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline annette ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,

Thank you for your reply. It is a real hard family to find.
I will have to check with my in-laws .

I have a copy of the marriage cert and I do know that my late Mother-in law has often told me that some of the Kelly family were born in Ireland, but I am not sure which ones were. ???

Where the Scott family comes from I do not know.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards
Annette  :)
Dundee, Montrose, Perthshire, Errol,- Ireland , Birmingham, Huddersfield, England, Rotterdam, Holland.
Kettles, Kettle, Young, Archibald, Smith, Greive, Philp, Gibson, Mason, Bent, White, Cunneen, Cahill, Pratt, Frost, Bridges, Mothersole, Money, Roche/Roach, Lenehan/ Linehan/ Linahan, Leonard, Sayles, Waren/Warren, Johnson, Berigan/Bergin/Berrigan/Birgin, Janssen.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette

This looks like Anthony and Mary Ann, recently married in 1891:

Anthony Christie 24, coal miner, b. Cumbernauld
Mary Ann Christie 19, b. Cumbernauld

Address: No 42 Auchenstarry Row, Cumbernauld

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 23:11 BST (UK) »
Annette

Birth places a bit different by 1901:

Anthony Christie 30, coal miner, b. Kn (not known?)
Mary Christie 28, b Kilsyth Stirlingshire
Mary Christie 8, b. Kilsyth
Rose Christie 6 , b. Kilsyth
Kate Christie 3, b. Kilsyth
Alice Christie 2, b. Kilsyth

Address: 22 Dunkop St, Cambuslang

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 23:24 BST (UK) »
This is the closest I can for the Kellys in 1881, assuming the Cumbernauld birth place in 1891 was correct:

James Kelly 36, coal miner, b. Ireland
Mary A Kelly 32, b. Ireland
Hugh Kelly 15
John Kelly 10
Mary A Kelly 8
Alice Kelly 6
James Kelly 4

Address: Auchanstarry Row No 54, Cumbernauld

Actually, looking at the address for Anthony and Mary Ann in 1891, this must be her family!

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 23:35 BST (UK) »
Annette

What surname is showing for Mary Ann Kelly's mother ?- Not getting SCOTT on the birth registrations of children's births in Cumbernauld (IGI), Her name is showing as Mary Ann MCANULTY...and its many variants!

Not easily seeing their marriage in Scotland on IGI probably down to spelling variants of Mary Ann's surname or maybe they married in Ireland.  Mary Ann b. 1873's birth cert. in Cumbernauld will include date and place of parents' marriage.

Monica

Offline annette ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 05:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

I have had your help before regarding this family and I am now trying to find where Mary Ann Scott and James Kelly come from.

I had a lot of info that I had to put together and I have started again trying to get other lines hopefully. :-[

I do have the marriage certificate of their daughter Mary Ann Kelly and Anthony Christie and it says that mother is Mary Ann Scott.

They were married Fourth of August 1890 at St Patricks Church Kilsyth, after publication according to the rites of the Catholic Church.
 Mary's  age is written as 18, and it is in the Parish of Kilsyth in the County of Sterling.

If I can find out where Mary Ann was born it will help me with putting the tree together.

Regards
Annette. :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 10:06 BST (UK) »
 :P :P :P I am going gaga - we've done all this before haven't we Annette. No wonder the names all seemed familiar  ;D

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,289141.0.html

I think from before, the only two areas which were outstanding:

1. Confusion over mother Mary Ann's surname. Scott v. McAnulty. I am 99.99% sure that Mary Ann mother was McAnulty and that Scott was put down in error on the 1890 MC. Did you ever check Mary Ann Kelly/Christie's death cert to see what surname was put down?  From Mary Ann Snr.'s death cert in Kilsyth in 1921 I can now see where the confusion might have arisen. Mary Ann Snr.'s mother was Elllen SCOTT married to a James McNulty.

You have all the census info from 1871 onwards for the families (Kelly and Christie) and the birth reg. of Mary Ann Kelly in 1873 in Cumbernauld with mother as McAnulty.

2. Where in Ireland were James Kelly and Mary Ann McAnulty from and where did they marry? All the census entries for the Kellys simply show Ireland. There is no marriage showing that I can see in Scotland, so likely they married in Ireland before they came over to Scotland. Often when there is no County of birth in Ireland on the Censuses, the only other place to check for clues is children's birth registrations given that in Scotland from the early 1860s, the place and date of marriage for the parents was included on the certificate. Mary Ann 1873 shows 1863 Ireland for parents' marriage, son Hugh 1865 shows 1864 Co. Donegal (but writing is faint). The Kelly births in Cumbernaul for that period all seem to relate to this family. You might want to have a look at other certs for the children to triple verify!

Monica  :)