Author Topic: Bridget Dady - birth look-up?  (Read 13197 times)

Offline lozzab

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Bridget Dady - birth look-up?
« on: Tuesday 09 September 08 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
This is something that has stumped me for some time.  I believed my g-g-g-grandmother's name was Bridget Ready and that she was born in Australia to a convict, John Ready, who died when she was quite young.

Problem is - she married James Townsend - at St. Peters, Cooks River (Sydney) Australia in 1847 and her maiden name was put down as "Teady".  I have a photo of her grave that looks like it says she was 60yrs when she died (not the 69 years on her certificate) and her name Bridget D?DY TOWNSEND.

I have been staring at her death certificate - which I thought said her father's name was Richard Ready.  I've just realised that the surname may be "Deady".  Her death certificate also says she was born in Kilkenny, Ireland and had been in Australia for 46 years (so would have arrived in 1841).   It also says she was 26 yrs when she married.
 So.....those facts put her birth sometime between 1819 and 1821.

I have also just noticed on Ancestry passenger lists to Aust. that there was a Bridget DADY (b: 1819) that arrived in NSW on 16/09/1841 on the "Gilbert Henderson" and that she was from Thomastown , Kilkenny, Ireland.

How do I try to track down her birth, with her father's name as Richard DADY?????

I would appreciate any help!!!
Thanks,
Loz
Rogers, Mason, Hawkes, Baldwin, Taboudeux, Lee, Steeden, Wilson, Armstrong, Battley, Johnstone, Dailey, Birmingham, Lancaster,Field, Rainford, Hill, Adams, Cassidy.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Bridget Dady - birth look-up?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 09:01 BST (UK) »
these are the closest matches on irish-roots.ie index

Church Baptism    Dedi    Bridget    1811    Co. Kilkenny
   Church Baptism    Deady    Bridget    1812    Co. Kilkenny

Church Baptism    Ready    Bridget    1811    Co. Kilkenny
   Church Baptism    Ready    Bridget    1815    Co. Tipperary

Church Baptism    Deady    Bridget    1825    Co. Kilkenny
   Church Baptism    Deady    Bridget    1826    Co. Kilkenny
   Church Baptism    Deady    Bridget    1826    Co. Kilkenny

Church Baptism    Ready    Bridget    1825    Co. Kilkenny
   Church Baptism    Ready    Bridget    1825    Co. Kilkenny

nothing that I can see for either surname nearer to 1820

The Thomastown RC records go back to 1782, not sure which CofI parish covers that area...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 12:09 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of births in Irelan began 1864 so there will be no birth certificate for Bridget who was born much earlier.
Church records such as Shane has found indexed might be the only details you can find but for that period it's quite possible that the church records for Bridget's baptism no longer survive. Is there a mother's name listed on her marriage or death certificate?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lozzab

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hi  - thanks both of you for your help.

No unfortunately  - there was no mother's name on her death certificate.  I've found that with quite a lot of the certificates.

Thanks again, Loz
Rogers, Mason, Hawkes, Baldwin, Taboudeux, Lee, Steeden, Wilson, Armstrong, Battley, Johnstone, Dailey, Birmingham, Lancaster,Field, Rainford, Hill, Adams, Cassidy.

Offline jakel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 August 09 23:26 BST (UK) »
This may be of some help. There was a farming family named DEADY that lived
at Jerpoint Abbey Thomastown. As far as i am aware the last of the family passed away about 10-15 years ago. The house is now a guest house.

Offline biggles5000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi  im also related to the deadys of jerpoint my greatgreat great grand father william deady was born there in 1848 and used to run the family mill of jerpoint if you have any information that you need p[lease feel to get in touch.

Offline lozzab

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 March 10 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Biggles,
Yep - I'd love some info about the Dady/Deadys.  My Bridget was born about 1819. From the passenger list, she emigrated to Australia in 1841 aboard the Gilbert Henderson and came from Thomastown, Kilkenny.  On her gravestone her name is inscribed as Bridget Dady Townsend (being her married name) and on the passenger list her name was spelt Dady.  On her death certficate, her father is listed as Richard Deady and it confirms she was from Kilkenny.

That's all I know!!  I live in Melbourne , Australia and am travelling to Ireland in April and intend on visiting her birthplace.  I would love to know more!

Loz

Offline biggles5000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 March 10 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Loz

Nice to here from you my g.g.granparents lived in Jerpoint Abbey William Deady was born in 1848 i think hes dad was Michael who was born round about 1821.When you come to Ireland visit Jerpoint Abbey theres a massive celtic cross with the Deadys inscribed on it. The Deady were wealthy landowners in and around Thomastown Co Kilkenny. I do have loads of information about the family who lived in Jerpoint 1861 Michael Deady bought Jerpoint Mill he also owned Goatsbridge Mill and lands around Pleberstown and Bunskeha.These Deadys would of been cousins to your Bridget dady They extended the Jerpoint Mill in 1877 Six years later William replaced replaced the lease on the mill William Deady son was born in 1885 he continued to build the family influence in the County of Kilkenny he became a councillor for the Thomastown in division in 1928 and he was a founding member of the farmers Party  he died in 1968 and is buried in Thomastown with hes entire family.

Offline lozzab

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 05:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Biggles,
yes - I am definately going to avae a good look around Thomastown and Jerpoint Abbey.  Where is the family buried?  Do you know the name of Michaels father?....or any further back from him?  Would love to know if Bridget had any siblings etc.  Had you seen the family name spelt as DADY? On the passenger list it said Bridget could read but not write.

Loz