Author Topic: Nether Alderley and Broken Cross  (Read 33869 times)

Offline Colin Henshaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nether Alderley and Broken Cross
« Reply #63 on: Friday 06 October 17 14:17 BST (UK) »
Yes, I confirm from Wikipedia that Dunham Hall belonged to the Booth family at that time. It was constructed in 1616 by Sir George Booth. William probably started work there early in his career.

Yes, the children of the Tydnock family would be from around the 1590s, while William was born around 1605. Interesting that you mention Gawsworth. The Lea Henshaw you mention is almost certainly the Lea Henshaw of Henshaw Hall, at Henshaw in Siddington. He was the son of Thomas Henshaw and Eleanor Browne, of Henshaw Hall, and was born in 1593 and died in 1631. He had a sister called Ursula. His father, Thomas, was described as "A Captaine in Ireland, slaine at Blackwater, 1598." This battle is also known as the Battle of Yellow Ford, during the O'Neill rebellion, occurring on the same date as Thomas's death, August 14th., 1598. I would very much like to tie up my lineage with those of Henshaw Hall as the lineage would then go back to about 1365. That would be something!

The Debretts report did mention something about the Tydnock Farm family have a connection with Newbold Astbury, located near Congleton. 

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Friday 06 October 17 14:43 BST (UK) »
More on 'of the park':- There are various bp entries 1606-1621 in Macclesfield St Michael PRs for the children of a John Henshaw, some of which describe him as 'of the Parke'. What struck me is the similarity between some of their names - Ellen, Hugh, Mary, Joan, John - and those of Thomas of Tidnock's offspring (see earlier in this topic). Though which park that might be I'm not sure.  Macclesfield? There are various entries in the MaccStM PRs for the early 1600s (not necessarily Henshaws) which refer to 'of the park', 'de parke', 'of Macclesfield park'.
John was possibly bur 18/12/1623 MaccStM: an Elizabeth H who was bp 1621 dtr of JH 'de Parke' was bur 10 Feb 1623/24 'dtr of JH deceased'.

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 06 October 17 14:58 BST (UK) »
The Lea Henshaw you mention is almost certainly the Lea Henshaw of Henshaw Hall, at Henshaw in Siddington. He was the son of Thomas Henshaw and Eleanor Browne, of Henshaw Hall, and was born in 1593 and died in 1631.
Lea Henshaw married Margerie Wardle 1605/1606 (transcription only seen, no precise details). Margery's will 1636 (the CRO/FindMyPast index calls her Margaret - she's not!) confirms her husband Lea is dead and that she's the sister of Thomas Wardle deceased; she is also described as MH of Siddington. There are 4 children.

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 06 October 17 15:00 BST (UK) »
I would very much like to tie up my lineage with those of Henshaw Hall as the lineage would then go back to about 1365. That would be something!
Too right!! You and me both.

Offline Colin Henshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 06 October 17 15:30 BST (UK) »
Lea married Margeri Wardle - confirmed - February 16th., 1605/1606 in Prestbury.

http://www.genealogy.com/ftm/b/a/r/Jeannette-E-Barrow/BOOK-0001/0002-0001.html

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 06 October 17 16:05 BST (UK) »
Haha!

In the meantime.....

I have been on the CPRD.
This lineage takes our William Henshaw back to Wilmslow, and has him being the son of Thomas Henshaw "The Elder".

It begins with Thomas Henshawe, son of Thomas, baptised 4th of May 1574, in Wilmslow.

Thomas Henshawe, possible Father of the above married an Ellen Burgess, on the 17th of August 1574, in Wilmslow.
These other Henshawe's were children of Thomas, all baptised in Wilmslow:

Katharine - 2nd of Feb 1577
Jone/Joan - 9th of Oct 1578
"Annes" - 13 Oct 1581
"Allyce" - 3rd of June 1584
"Henerye" - 29 of May 1586
WILLIAM - 8th of April 1589
John - 17th of June 1592.

Thomas Henshaw, "The Elder, of The Parke" was buried in Wilmslow, on the 5th of October 1626.
This was the Thomas that Birtles had found. I had also previously glanced at this before.

Ellen Henshawe "Widow", was buried in Wilmslow on the 5th of June 1635.
On the 5th of December 1637, there was a Thomas Henshaw, buried in Wilmslow.
This could possibly have been Thomas, son of Thomas who was born in 1574.

Now, as you may see from this it would mean that our William Henshaw would have been around the age of 44, when he married Amy Wilson. But it is still very possible, people can get married at any age, haha!  :)
And it would mean that our William when he died would have been around 77 years old. This also I believe would make the above William Henshaw, a very likely candidate for being ours.

When William married, his residence I believe was put down as: "Wilmslow." I can find no other baptism on the CPRD for a William Henshaw. There is also no record for a burial of a William Henshaw, in Wilmslow between the years 1589 - 1633 either.

Just as a side note from looking at the CPRD:

I found another Henshall who was a Keeper of Bollin Park:

There is a burial record for a William Henshall, dated the 26th of March 1679, in Wilmslow.
His Father is named as John Henshall: "Keeper of Bollin Park."

The above is a POSSIBILITY.  :) ;)

Thank you very much.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Friday 06 October 17 16:18 BST (UK) »
Yes, I confirm from Wikipedia that Dunham Hall belonged to the Booth family at that time. It was constructed in 1616 by Sir George Booth. William probably started work there early in his career.

Yes, the children of the Tydnock family would be from around the 1590s, while William was born around 1605. Interesting that you mention Gawsworth. The Lea Henshaw you mention is almost certainly the Lea Henshaw of Henshaw Hall, at Henshaw in Siddington. He was the son of Thomas Henshaw and Eleanor Browne, of Henshaw Hall, and was born in 1593 and died in 1631. He had a sister called Ursula. His father, Thomas, was described as "A Captaine in Ireland, slaine at Blackwater, 1598." This battle is also known as the Battle of Yellow Ford, during the O'Neill rebellion, occurring on the same date as Thomas's death, August 14th., 1598. I would very much like to tie up my lineage with those of Henshaw Hall as the lineage would then go back to about 1365. That would be something!

The Debretts report did mention something about the Tydnock Farm family have a connection with Newbold Astbury, located near Congleton.

I take it that no baptism for William has been found for around 1605 then has it?
I also would love to take our Henshaw lineage back to 1365, haha!

:) ;)

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Friday 06 October 17 17:17 BST (UK) »
There is a burial record for a William Henshall, dated the 26th of March 1679, in Wilmslow.
My reading of his father's name is Henry  :). Note in FindMyPast that the link from the index to the PR image is wrong; you'll need to go forward an image or two. The BT link is OK and clearly reads Henry!

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Friday 06 October 17 17:21 BST (UK) »
My reading of his father's name is Henry  :). Note in FindMyPast that the link from the index to the PR image is wrong; you'll need to go forward an image or two. The BT link is OK and clearly reads Henry!

HAHA!
Thank you Birtle. That means the above was our Henry then.  :) ;)