Author Topic: Nether Alderley and Broken Cross  (Read 34078 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nether Alderley and Broken Cross
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 02 April 17 09:50 BST (UK) »
In the Cheshire Parish Register Database for the baptism of Amy Henshaw, it has the residence down as: "CHOR" (for Chorley). This has me a bit puzzled: There is not a Village near Alderley or Wilmslow called Chorley. Would this be a reference to Chorley Hall near Alderley please/ around there?
This part of your query caught my eye - I grew up not far from there and I've always thought that Chorley was the original name for Alderley Edge. I think the name change had something to do with the Railway Company. There was certainly a part of the village that was known as Chorley when I was growing up - it wasn't very well defined but certainly encompassed the area around Chorley Hall.

Thank you.  :)

Offline Colin Henshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 03 April 17 13:54 BST (UK) »
Actually Chorley was the original name for Alderley Edge. I confirm that when the railway was constructed concern was raised about possible confusion with Chorley in Lancashire. So the decided to name the station Alderley Edge.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 10:45 BST (UK) »
Actually Chorley was the original name for Alderley Edge. I confirm that when the railway was constructed concern was raised about possible confusion with Chorley in Lancashire. So the decided to name the station Alderley Edge.
Thank you Colin.  :)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 17:35 BST (UK) »

Henry's eldest son John is an elusive character. I believe him to be the Nether Alderley blacksmith who died in Dec 1814 'age 77' and has a distinctive epitaph on his grave. But there is a problem in that his age recorded at the time of burial points to a birthdate of abt 1736/37 rather than 1740. A John H was bp in 1736, the son of Ralph & Elizabeth of Chorley (Ralph I think being a tailor), but I don't feel comfortable with identifying their son as the blacksmith. On the other hand, the content of Henry's will makes me pretty confident that his oldest son John, whom Henry describes as a 'smith', is the Nether Alderley blacksmith who d 1814.

:)

Regarding John above:

John was baptised on the 5th of February 1740 in Alderley. He could possibly have been born a few months earlier sometime in 1739.
Also, his age at burial might have just been recorded wrong. I have a few burials in my family tree who are out by 2 or 3 years from the age that they should have been recorded at burial.

:) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 19:18 BST (UK) »
Kathb, Thanks for that. Quite apart from the enjoyment of working with the original data, I've just looked for one variant on the name Woodall that I came across whilst trawling the CDs and can't find it in the CPRP data. The record in question is the baptism on 1st June 1788 of Mary, dtr of William and Hannah Wyddal (is that a Welsh influence in the spelling?). Elsewhere W and H are called Woodall. If I've followed all the right BMD tracks (please, anyone, let me know if I'm wrong!), then Mary married Thomas Henshaw of Chorley (d.1862). Hugh H, the Birtles blacksmith, was one of their sons.
I'm so hoping that more parishes will appear on CD and CPRP soon. All in all, what fantastic resources Cheshire has.
Kind regards,
Birtle

This is quite interesting:

It seems from reading this, that two Henshaw brothers, married two Woodall Sisters:

One of my 5x Great Grandad's, Henry Henshaw (1773 - 1849), married Hannah Woodall. Hannah was baptised on the 7th of June 1778, in Alderley. She was also a Daughter of William and Hannah Woodall.

I think Hannah's Mother was Hannah Clark/ Clarke. Hannah and William Woodall were married in 1767, in Alderley, according to "Family Search." Hannah Clark's parish was: "Higher Peover, Cheshire." The marriage banns were dated 18th of October, and they were married on the 25th of October 1767 in Alderley:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3AHannah%7E%20%2Bsurname%3AClark%7E%20%2Bbirth_place%3ACheshire%7E%20%2Bmarriage_place%3A%22Alderley%2C%20Cheshire%22%7E%20%2Bmarriage_year%3A1767-1767%7E%20%2Brecord_country%3AEngland%20%2Brecord_subcountry%3AEngland%2CCheshire&collection_id=1614792

Hannah Woodall and Henry Henshaw married 1799, in Alderley:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NH9M-9M1

Thomas Henshaw was a Brother of Henry, baptised 1782, in Alderley. I think you are probably correct. Thomas Henshaw did marry this Mary Woodall. They were married in Cheadle, on the 19th of November 1809:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NHNG-4V9

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 29 September 17 13:35 BST (UK) »

Debretts research shows that John’s father was Henry Henshaw, son of William Henshaw, married to Ane Wilson about 1634. However an alternative lineage for John is apparently held in the Cheshire Family History Society records. I would like to believe the Debretts lineage is the correct one. If so they may hail back to Henshaws living at Tydnock Farm, near Marton, Cheshire, in the second half of the 16th Century.

There are several extant lineages apart from mine that hail back to Daniel.

Colin Henshaw, Tabuk.

I have found out a few things about Henry Henshaw, Father of John above:

Henry was born in Hough, Wilmslow in 1642, baptised on the 22nd of April in Wilmslow, the son of William.
He married a Dorothy Upton in Wilmslow, in 1667. A "Dorothie" Henshaw, was buried in Wilmslow, in November 1667, according to the CPRD.

Then in July 1668, Henry married a Margaret "Tabor". I do not know where they got married. But I found the marriage licence on "Find My Past." On the transcription for this marriage for Henry's residence, it states that he was from: "Bolton." But if you look on the original image, it definitely says: "Bollin, in the County of Chester."
Margaret's surname has been transcribed as: "Tabor." But it could possibly have been Taylor. It might even have been Davenport. Henry was a: "Woodsman of Bollin" at the time of marriage:
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbprs%2fchs%2f4018596%2f01357&parentid=gbprs%2fm%2f737291549%2f1&highlights=%22%22

Looking at the baptisms of this Henry's children on the CPRD, all in Wilmslow, and two burials for his children (the burials I think Spelt: "Henshall.") it seems that this Henry was a: "Keeper of Bollin Park." Bollin Park, was in the parish of Wilmslow. Apparentely, the Booth family owned the land of the park, at this time, and there was a big Mansion House on there:
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=zXtbAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA236&lpg=PA236&dq=Bollin+Park,+Sir+George+Booth&source=bl&ots=WNhdNrbBoa&sig=YD78HOff0rBgAKUkgeJRVio9Gcw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjT9OqKtcrWAhWDDxoKHQN9BawQ6AEIMTAC#v=onepage&q=Bollin%20Park%2C%20Sir%20George%20Booth&f=false

Henry Henshaw may have been something like "Head Gardener" of that park, if he was previously a: "Woodsman." Or possibly something like a: "Game Keeper."

Henry was buried on the 5th of November 1686 in Wilmslow. The original image register states that he was a: "Keeper of Bollin Parke."

Find My Past has in "Inventory And Administration" (Like a Will) dated 1687, relating to this "Henry "Henshall, late of Bollin Fee, in the parish of Wilmslow." It mentions his Wife, Margaret doing the Administration of her late Husband:

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBPRS/CHS/4012440/00443&parentid=GBPRS/CHS/748067610

I do not know what became of Margaret Henshaw.

Thank you.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 30 September 17 15:43 BST (UK) »
Find My Past, kindly corrected the transcription when I notified them regarding Henry's residence when he married Margaret in 1668:

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbprs%2fm%2f737291549%2f1

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 06 October 17 01:12 BST (UK) »

Then in July 1668, Henry married a Margaret "Tabor" ... Margaret's surname has been transcribed as: "Tabor." But it could possibly have been Taylor. It might even have been Davenport.

I'm well-nigh positive it's Davenport. In the marriage licence it's Davinport split between two lines thus: Davin-port of Fulshaw.
She seems still to be alive in Feb 1702/03 when the burial of Ann 'dtr of Margt Henshaw of Bollen Fee' took place. She is perhaps Margt Henshall of Styall widow who was bur at Wilmslow 10/10/1731.
 :)

Offline Colin Henshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 06 October 17 07:05 BST (UK) »
Greetings from Tabuk in Saudi Arabia.

Many thanks.

Can you confirm that Henry Henshaw was the son of William Henshaw, who married Ann Wilson around 1633? He may have been born around 1605 to a Henshaw family of eleven located at Tydnock Farm outside Marton?