Author Topic: Nether Alderley and Broken Cross  (Read 33852 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nether Alderley and Broken Cross
« Reply #45 on: Friday 06 October 17 09:22 BST (UK) »

Then in July 1668, Henry married a Margaret "Tabor" ... Margaret's surname has been transcribed as: "Tabor." But it could possibly have been Taylor. It might even have been Davenport.

I'm well-nigh positive it's Davenport. In the marriage licence it's Davinport split between two lines thus: Davin-port of Fulshaw.
She seems still to be alive in Feb 1702/03 when the burial of Ann 'dtr of Margt Henshaw of Bollen Fee' took place. She is perhaps Margt Henshall of Styall widow who was bur at Wilmslow 10/10/1731.
 :)

Hello again,

Yes thank you very much for this. I looked at the licence again. It seems they ran out of space and put the "port" underneath. I was trying to look to see what her residence at the time of marriage was. It looks something like: "Hulshey", wherever that was/is.

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 06 October 17 09:47 BST (UK) »
It's Fulshaw, written using what looks to modern-day eyes like a double f.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 06 October 17 09:48 BST (UK) »
Greetings from Tabuk in Saudi Arabia.

Many thanks.

Can you confirm that Henry Henshaw was the son of William Henshaw, who married Ann Wilson around 1633? He may have been born around 1605 to a Henshaw family of eleven located at Tydnock Farm outside Marton?

Hello Colin,

Yes. I can confirm that this Henry Henshaw was the son of William Henshaw, and an Ann Wilson. He was baptised in Wilmslow. I checked on the CPRD also:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NPDF-8ZF

I have managed to find a Will on "Find My Past" of a Thomas Henshaw, of: "Gawsworth, Tidnock, Cheshire" according to this transcription, he was a Yeoman:
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbprs%2fchs%2f748127622

Here are the links to original images of this Will, on Find My Past. It seems quite difficult (for me anyway) to read. But some parts aren't too bad:

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbprs%2fchs%2f004308013%2f00067&parentid=gbprs%2fchs%2f748127622

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbprs%2fchs%2f004308013%2f00068&parentid=gbprs%2fchs%2f748127622

This person was a Thomas. It is interesting because William Henshaw's first son was also called Thomas. Family search give William Henshaw's marriage to Anne Wilson as the 16th of February 1633. The CPRD give his marriage as the same date, in Wilmslow, but the year 1634.
William and Anne's first son, Thomas, was baptised in January 1635, in Wilmslow.
Along with Henry mentioned above, William and Anne had:

John Henshaw - born Oct 1638, in Hough, baptised in Wilmslow. Buried August 1640, in Wilmslow.
William Henshaw- Baptised August 1640. Born in Hough - baptised in Wilmslow.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 06 October 17 09:52 BST (UK) »
It's Fulshaw, written using what looks to modern-day eyes like a double f.

My apologies. Yes! That would make sense. A "township of Wilmslow":
http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22640

Thank you.  :) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 06 October 17 09:56 BST (UK) »

Then in July 1668, Henry married a Margaret "Tabor" ... Margaret's surname has been transcribed as: "Tabor." But it could possibly have been Taylor. It might even have been Davenport.

I'm well-nigh positive it's Davenport. In the marriage licence it's Davinport split between two lines thus: Davin-port of Fulshaw.
She seems still to be alive in Feb 1702/03 when the burial of Ann 'dtr of Margt Henshaw of Bollen Fee' took place. She is perhaps Margt Henshall of Styall widow who was bur at Wilmslow 10/10/1731.

It doesn't seem to state anywhere on the licence where the marriage took/could have taken place.

Offline Colin Henshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 06 October 17 10:03 BST (UK) »
Greetings once again. That's brilliant. Is the Thomas Henshaw of Tydnock confirmed to be William's father?

One of Thomas's children was Roger Henshaw, and according to Earwacker, he went gallivanting around the Cheshire countryside trying to raise support for Charles I in the Civil War. His property (presumably that at Tydnock was sequestered by Parliament, but he probably got it back after the Restoration.

Can you confirm this?

Best wishes,

Colin.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 06 October 17 10:07 BST (UK) »
On the CPRD does anyone please know where the area around Gawsworth/ area around Tidnock/Tydnock farm would be abbreviated for please?

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 06 October 17 10:33 BST (UK) »
Can you confirm that Henry Henshaw was the son of William Henshaw, who married Ann Wilson around 1633? He may have been born around 1605 to a Henshaw family of eleven located at Tydnock Farm outside Marton?

Hi Colin,
I've just looked at the original marriage records for William H and A--- Wilson. The PR is not that well written, but the BT seems pretty clear that the first name of William's bride is Amea (ie Amy) not Ann or Ane.
William's will 1666 describes him as WH ' Keeper of Bollin Fee'; he is also described thus in the bp's for his 3 sons Thomas, William & Henry. The obligation attached to his will (WH 'of Hough') gives further, very interesting info about  sons' William & Henry's whereabouts - though curiously not Thomas's.
Given that Henry also became Keeper of Bollin Fee I suspect that this post - gamekeeper? not, I think, Keeper of the Poor - was passed down through a small number of generations of Henshaws. In fact, a Thomas Henshawe the elder 'de parke' was buried 5 Oct 1626 Wilmslow which might support that hypothesis. It might be difficult, however, to establish any irrefutable line of descent  from him to the later-17th-century Hensha* Keepers if only because PRs in those days were notoriously incomplete and the Civil War/Commonwealth turned the keeping of records further on its head. That also means I'd proceed with extreme caution insofar as Tydnock is concerned!
Heh, it's good to be back on the Hensha* trail again after being necessarily a long time absent from it :)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 06 October 17 10:37 BST (UK) »
Greetings once again. That's brilliant. Is the Thomas Henshaw of Tydnock confirmed to be William's father?

One of Thomas's children was Roger Henshaw, and according to Earwacker, he went gallivanting around the Cheshire countryside trying to raise support for Charles I in the Civil War. His property (presumably that at Tydnock was sequestered by Parliament, but he probably got it back after the Restoration.

Can you confirm this?

Best wishes,

Colin.

Hello again Colin,

I had another look at the Will.
Yes Colin, this Thomas does mention having a son in his Will, called William Henshaw:
"I bequeath to my son, William Henshaw(e), twenty(?) shillings."

He does also mention having a son called Roger Henshaw.
Other names mentioned (who appear to have been his children) are:

Edmond Henshaw
Henry Henshaw
Thomas Henshaw
Mary Henshaw
Edward(?) Henshaw
Ann Henshaw
Joan (?) Henshaw
Ellen Henshaw.

Regarding his Wife: It looks like her name was Mary/ possibly Maryann/ Marion.

Once again, I will say that some parts of this Will, are really quite hard to read/ decipher. But I am very confident about the names of the Henshaw's in it, apart from the Wife, and the ones I have put a question mark against the Christian names.

There may be some people on this site who could possibly be able to decipher more from this Will, and read it better:

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbprs%2fchs%2f004308013%2f00067&parentid=gbprs%2fchs%2f748127622

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbprs%2fchs%2f004308013%2f00068&parentid=gbprs%2fchs%2f748127622