Author Topic: Nether Alderley and Broken Cross  (Read 33865 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nether Alderley and Broken Cross
« Reply #54 on: Friday 06 October 17 10:42 BST (UK) »
Can you confirm that Henry Henshaw was the son of William Henshaw, who married Ann Wilson around 1633? He may have been born around 1605 to a Henshaw family of eleven located at Tydnock Farm outside Marton?

Hi Colin,
I've just looked at the original marriage records for William H and A--- Wilson. The PR is not that well written, but the BT seems pretty clear that the first name of William's bride is Amea (ie Amy) not Ann or Ane.
William's will 1666 describes him as WH ' Keeper of Bollin Fee'; he is also described thus in the bp's for his 3 sons Thomas, William & Henry. The obligation attached to his will (WH 'of Hough') gives further, very interesting info about  sons' William & Henry's whereabouts - though curiously not Thomas's.
Given that Henry also became Keeper of Bollin Fee I suspect that this post - gamekeeper? not, I think, Keeper of the Poor - was passed down through a small number of generations of Henshaws. In fact, a Thomas Henshawe the elder 'de parke' was buried 5 Oct 1626 Wilmslow which might support that hypothesis. It might be difficult, however, to establish any irrefutable line of descent  from him to the later-17th-century Hensha* Keepers if only because PRs in those days were notoriously incomplete and the Civil War/Commonwealth turned the keeping of records further on its head. That also means I'd proceed with extreme caution insofar as Tydnock is concerned!
Heh, it's good to be back on the Hensha* trail again after being necessarily a long time absent from it :)

Hello Birtle,

Is William's Will of 1666 on Find My Past please?

I didn't have a date for when he died.

Thank you.  :) ;)

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 06 October 17 10:47 BST (UK) »
Family search give William Henshaw's marriage to Anne Wilson as the 16th of February 1633. The CPRD give his marriage as the same date, in Wilmslow, but the year 1634.
Neither 1633 nor 1634 is necessarily incorrect bearing in mind that the change from the Julian to the Gregorian calendar did not happen in England until 1752. In the Julian calendar the year started and ended in abt March, and was a moveable feast so to speak. Hence the date in question was at the end of the 1633 Julian year but in modern day terms was at the beginning of 1634. CPRD presents dates from such crossover periods in modern terms ie Feb 1634 but meaning Feb 1633/34; generally speaking, I find that Familysearch takes pot-luck!

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 06 October 17 10:48 BST (UK) »
Family search give William Henshaw's marriage to Anne Wilson as the 16th of February 1633. The CPRD give his marriage as the same date, in Wilmslow, but the year 1634.
Neither 1633 nor 1634 is necessarily incorrect bearing in mind that the change from the Julian to the Gregorian calendar did not happen in England until 1752. In the Julian calendar the year started and ended in abt March, and was a moveable feast so to speak. Hence the date in question was at the end of the 1633 Julian year but in modern day terms was at the beginning of 1634. CPRD presents dates from such crossover periods in modern terms ie Feb 1634 but meaning Feb 1633/34; generally speaking, I find that Familysearch takes pot-luck!

Thanks once again.  :)

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 06 October 17 10:52 BST (UK) »

Hello Birtle,

[/quote]
Yep! Search William Henshall 1666 Cheshire. Note that the link takes you to midway through the images for his will etc, so click backwards as well as forwards. :)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 06 October 17 10:53 BST (UK) »

Hello Birtle,

Yep! Search William Henshall 1666 Cheshire. Note that the link takes you to midway through the images for his will etc, so click backwards as well as forwards. :)
[/quote]

Thanks again!

:) ;)

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 06 October 17 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hmm, Thomas H of Tydnock was bur 28 Feb 1632/33 Gawsworth, but we also have the TH the elder 'de parke' who was bur 1626 Wilmslow. Possibly a proliferation of Hensha*s in the area? Not unheard of! It might be fruitful to track down wills of the Tidnock Hensha*s to see if there's mention of any relatives, kinsmen etc that might clarify the lineage(s).

Offline Colin Henshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 06 October 17 11:55 BST (UK) »
That's wonderful. Debretts were suggestive of this family being the ancestor of William. The children amazingly all seemed to survive childhood, which is remarkable for that time. William, I seem to recall, spent some time on the estate at Dunham Massey, outside Altrincham.

Best wishes,

Colin.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 06 October 17 12:01 BST (UK) »
That's wonderful. Debretts were suggestive of this family being the ancestor of William. The children amazingly all seemed to survive childhood, which is remarkable for that time. William, I seem to recall, spent some time on the estate at Dunham Massey, outside Altrincham.

Best wishes,

Colin.

Hello,

Thanks Colin. What was William doing at Dunham Massey please? Was he Keeper?
This is a little interesting because I believe that the Booth's owned Dunham Massey/ the Hall there (if I have remembered that correctly).
And the Booth's also owned Bollin Park at Wilmslow.  :)

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 06 October 17 13:28 BST (UK) »
Further on the will of Thos H of Tidnock 1633:
He first names three sons individually: Hugh (that's a distinctively recurrent Hensha* name). John, William. Then Margerie his wife. Then, in a list, Roger, Edward, Henerie, Thomas, Mary, E....?, Ann, Joane, Ellen - whom he subsequently describes en bloc as his sonnes and daughters. Interestingly, one of the assessors for the probate inventory is a John Henshaw of Newbold Astbury...
I think I've found Ellen's bp in 1622 and Joan's in Jan 1619/20 Gawsworth. Are the children all  named in order of seniority I wonder? The only Hugh H I have so far found in the Gawsworth PRs round about that time is the son of a Lea H... [Postscript: looks like the older children may date back to the 1590s eg Hugh, Roger, Mary. In which case Margery, see below, can not be his first wife...]
Boyd's marriage indexes records a TH married a Margery Dunbar in 1618 but I haven't yet been able to trace the original licence from which the info was apparently drawn..