Author Topic: Nether Alderley and Broken Cross  (Read 33870 times)

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
Re: Nether Alderley and Broken Cross
« Reply #72 on: Friday 06 October 17 17:32 BST (UK) »
I take it that no baptism for William has been found for around 1605 then has it?
How about: Gawsworth 30 May 1605 [in Latin] William Henshaw son of Thomas Henshaw bp

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Friday 06 October 17 17:35 BST (UK) »
I take it that no baptism for William has been found for around 1605 then has it?
How about: Gawsworth 30 May 1605 [in Latin] William Henshaw son of Thomas Henshaw bp

Oh Great! Do you have a Source for this plese?

Thank you.  :)

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Friday 06 October 17 17:56 BST (UK) »

I found both the BT and the PR on FindMyPast by searching on Henshaw + variants, place Gawsworth, 1605 +/- 5 (or whatever). Also tried Wilmslow similarly. I tend not to enter first names when the records are likely to be in Latin: Guilielmus as a variant of William doesn't always get picked up on, and in this case nor was 'Wyllia' (the contraction of William). So safer to avoid first names in searching! Sometimes in desperation I even omit the surname and just home in on a specific year in a specific parish, and scroll through looking for stuff. Seeing entries in context can be very revealing. And it's fun!

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Friday 06 October 17 18:05 BST (UK) »

I found both the BT and the PR on FindMyPast by searching on Henshaw + variants, place Gawsworth, 1605 +/- 5 (or whatever). Also tried Wilmslow similarly. I tend not to enter first names when the records are likely to be in Latin: Guilielmus as a variant of William doesn't always get picked up on, and in this case nor was 'Wyllia' (the contraction of William). So safer to avoid first names in searching! Sometimes in desperation I even omit the surname and just home in on a specific year in a specific parish, and scroll through looking for stuff. Seeing entries in context can be very revealing. And it's fun!

Thanks again Birtle,

I did manage to find a baptism for this William on Family Search:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQRQ-6BL

So where does this all leave us? (My apologies, I'm beginning to feel a bit lost, haha!)

It seems that we can connect the William Henshaw mentioned in the Will of Thomas Henshaw of Tidnock Farm as being the William of the baptism above.

:)

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Friday 06 October 17 18:38 BST (UK) »
So where does this all leave us? (My apologies, I'm beginning to feel a bit lost, haha!)
I'm glad I'm not the only one. There doesn't seem to be an emoti-wotsit for totally befuddled!
It seems that we can connect the William Henshaw mentioned in the Will of Thomas Henshaw of Tidnock Farm as being the William of the baptism above.
Mmmm, at the moment I haven't the foggiest. Give me a day or three to prune and chop, or  maybe graft odd twigs and branches on my FTM tree, look at a few more wills etc, and I might then be able to see the wood for the trees. :)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Friday 06 October 17 18:41 BST (UK) »
I'm glad I'm not the only one. There doesn't seem to be an emoti-wotsit for totally befuddled!
Mmmm, at the moment I haven't the foggiest. Give me a day or three to prune and chop, or  maybe graft odd twigs and branches on my FTM tree, look at a few more wills etc, and I might then be able to see the wood for the trees. :)

Hahaha!

Much obliged Birtle!

Thanks.  ;) :D ;D

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Thursday 19 October 17 21:34 BST (UK) »
There is a passage here, which mentions Bollin Hall, in Wilmslow, a: "Manor House of the Booth moiety of Wilmslow.":

http://archives.li.man.ac.uk/ead/search?operation=full&recid=gb133egra-egr1-3

:)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Thursday 09 November 17 10:10 GMT (UK) »
I would very much like to tie up my lineage with those of Henshaw Hall as the lineage would then go back to about 1365. That would be something!
Too right!! You and me both.

Me aswell.
But I think that it may be much easier said than done to establish a connection.

This part of the post reminds me of my Warren ancestors on my tree:
I got back so far to a "Selby" Warren born 1682, the son of a William. He was born in Wilmslow.

Then I found out that the Warrens of Poynton and Stockport, were descended possibly from William the conqueror/ a relation of his. This tree shows them from Sir Edward De Warren. Another tree I found before this, showed there may have been a connection to William the Conqueror:
http://www.thornber.net/cheshire/htmlfiles/warren.html

This shows the Warrens possible connection to William the Conqueror:
http://www.warrenfamilyhistory.com/Docs/Our%20Warrens%20in%20England.htm

The Warrens "Of Poynton and Stockport" were a very wealthy family in the Cheshire area. I thought to myself: "The areas are so close together, there might be a connection somewhere."
But no way could I find a connection between my Warrens of Wilmslow/ Stockport to these Warrens mentioned above. And there is also the fact that Warren is a very common surname.
But another way of looking at it is this: It was so far back in time that the likelihood that there isn't a connection may be very slim indeed.

And in a way, that is the way I look at our Henshaws, and trying to connect them to Henshaw Hall:
There may be a connection. But it may possibly be a few generations back from where we are looking/ think it may be. That is one option.
So in the meantime, I believe our William, was the son of Thomas Henshaw senior "Of the parke", Wilmslow.
Unless of course some more information has been found other than a baptism of William Henshaw in 1605 in Gawsworth/ Some information which may link these Gawsworth Henshaws to our Wilmslow ones.  :)

Thank you.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Monday 30 April 18 21:22 BST (UK) »
I would very much like to tie up my lineage with those of Henshaw Hall as the lineage would then go back to about 1365. That would be something!
Too right!! You and me both.

Me aswell.

I have changed my thoughts slightly from my previous post:

Looking back through all of the comments, and reading and thinking about my own comments on here I may now possibly be swaying towards our William being born in Gawsworth, rather than 1589 in Wilmslow.
I feel it to be a little more likely that somebody who was born in 1605, would get married in 1633/34. Rather than somebody who was baptised in 1589 getting married in 1633/34, at the age of 44. Gawsworth is also only 10.5 miles away from Wilmslow.

But then again. We may never know for sure one way or the other..... :) ;) ;D

Thank you.