Author Topic: Nether Alderley and Broken Cross  (Read 33972 times)

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
Re: Nether Alderley and Broken Cross
« Reply #90 on: Monday 24 June 19 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz
Thanks for your PM and reply. No, the riddle isn't solved but I think I'm going to 'Complete' the post all the same, as - like me - it's getting a bit long in the tooth!
My uncle (b1919) who lived in Wilmslow and Alderley Edge almost all his life said that the cross between AE and Nether Alderley was known to locals back then as Broken Cross. He would, of course, have been aware of the Broken Cross outside Macc.
But maybe it was erroneous recall...
Sarah :)

Offline rea1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Monday 24 June 19 09:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah, thanks for your reply. The only Broken Cross my relatives know of is the area near Macclesfield, it is still known as that on "Rightmove". I have old ordinance survey maps going back to the 1800s, and that's the only Broken Cross that is mentioned. Hope one day your mystery is solved.

Liz 😊
Buckley, cheshire
Barry, Leeds
Dalby, Leeds
Hornby, Garstang Lancs
Cahill,  Lancs

Offline Colin Henshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 19:59 BST (UK) »
Greetings Birtle from Mauritius.

It seems likely that William Henshaw born 1605 is related to the Henshaws of Tydnock Farm.

There is a full pedigree of the Henshaws of Henshaw Hall in Earwacker's "History of East Cheshire." I am told it is not 100% accurate, but it does mention the Roger Henshaw of Tydnock Farm who was raising support for Charles I during, or just before the Civil War. He had his property sequestered by Parliament, but got it back after the restoration.

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Thursday 27 June 19 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,
So you're chasing the night skies in Mauritius now!
I have to say I've thrown in the towel to some extent. The earliest Wm Hensh* in whom I have  any confidence in admitting to my tree is the 'Keeper of Bollin Fee'  (and I think, considering the line of succession within the Hensha* family, by this is meant park keeper, gamekeeper etc) who died in 1666. I suspect he was the son bp 1589 of Thomas H 'de parke' of Wilmslow.
But, to be honest, beyond that I'm not now purposefully venturing. My forays further into the past (or even forwards on occasion) have frequently given me a sore head - and not just in pursuit of Hensha*s; in all, leaving me with the feeling that I'm not just tilting at windmills, but colliding with their brick walls!
I've even fallen on stony ground - oh, what a mixing of metaphors - in trying to find any truth in the claim of my gt-grand Hensha* aunts (dtrs of James Henshaw/Mary Leah), relayed to my mother by their niece Jessie Henshaw, that they were related in some way to Henshaw of the Blind Asylum  ??? Though I have to say Jessie, who was a stickler when it came to family facts,  was somewhat sceptical [PS: and having looked again at the detail of Jessie's recollection, I think she was probably right to be!]
So I'm sticking with/at the blacksmiths and the keepers.
Best regards,
Sarah

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Saturday 14 September 19 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,

I have to say I've thrown in the towel to some extent. The earliest Wm Hensh* in whom I have  any confidence in admitting to my tree is the 'Keeper of Bollin Fee'  (and I think, considering the line of succession within the Hensha* family, by this is meant park keeper, gamekeeper etc) who died in 1666. I suspect he was the son bp 1589 of Thomas H 'de parke' of Wilmslow.

So I'm sticking with/at the blacksmiths and the keepers.
Best regards,
Sarah

Yes,
After much consideration I have now changed my mind back, and believe our William was the son of Thomas bap 1589 in Wilmslow.

There is "the park" association. The names of the siblings of that William's brothers all having the same names as William's children. And the oldest of William's sons was named Thomas.

There is also the fact that in the will of our William in 1666, he does not name any of his siblings. It does not say much in itself. But may suggest that our William could indeed have been 77 when he died and might have out lived his siblings. William named "Peter Bostock(e)/Bostack gent" and "John Newton, Shoemaker" as executors of his will. I may try to find out a bit about those two if I can.

William's oldest son Thomas had a child (I think anyway!) by Elizabeth Newton in Wilmslow in 1659/60 named John Newton Henshaw. In William's Will in 1666 he does not mention this John. But does mention his grandson William, son of his son Thomas. I cannot find a baptism for that William, son of Thomas anywhere.

But relating to this William:
He could possibly be the William Henshaw of Dunham Massey, Miller who made his Will in 1709. In that Will he mentions his "Kinsman, John Henshaw of Alderley Keeper," and made John a co-executor. This is just a theory of mine. But if he was a cousin would he name John as "kinsman" in his will?

Much obliged.  :) ;)

Offline Colin Henshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Saturday 17 October 20 15:56 BST (UK) »
Greetings from Bowdon.

Found this source relating to Thomas Henshaw and Joan Garlick:

https://www.myheritage.com/names/thomas_henshaw

Thomas Henshaw was born in 1563, at birth place, to William Henshall and Margerie Henshaw (born Gyll).
William was born in 1540, in Chester, York (!), England.
Margerie was born in 1540, in Cheshire, England.
Thomas had 5 siblings.
Thomas married Joan Henshaw (born Garlick) on month day 1581, at age 18 at marriage place.
Joan was born in 1565, in Staffordshire, England.
They had 12 children: Thomas Henshaw, Ellen Henshaw and 10 other children.
Thomas passed away on month day 1632, at age 69 at death place.

Would be interested to see if this could be traced back further.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Saturday 17 October 20 15:59 BST (UK) »
Greetings from Bowdon.

Found this source relating to Thomas Henshaw and Joan Garlick:

https://www.myheritage.com/names/thomas_henshaw

Thomas Henshaw was born in 1563, at birth place, to William Henshall and Margerie Henshaw (born Gyll).
William was born in 1540, in Chester, York (!), England.
Margerie was born in 1540, in Cheshire, England.
Thomas had 5 siblings.
Thomas married Joan Henshaw (born Garlick) on month day 1581, at age 18 at marriage place.
Joan was born in 1565, in Staffordshire, England.
They had 12 children: Thomas Henshaw, Ellen Henshaw and 10 other children.
Thomas passed away on month day 1632, at age 69 at death place.

Would be interested to see if this could be traced back further.

Hello Colin.

If memory serves me right distant Cousin, this is exactly the same one I found some time ago. And it lead me to a brick wall.
And without wishing to generalise, some people put anything on their family trees. There is no such place as "Chester, York." :-[

Offline Colin Henshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Saturday 17 October 20 16:56 BST (UK) »
Greetings once again!

The exclamation mark was mine. As you say, no Chester in Yorkshire. I wonder about the research that some people have done.

However, I did find these, but I think they are a non-starter.

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Henshall-2

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Henshall-33

These do not make sense to me.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Saturday 17 October 20 17:02 BST (UK) »
Greetings once again!

The exclamation mark was mine. As you say, no Chester in Yorkshire. I wonder about the research that some people have done.

However, I did find these, but I think they are a non-starter.

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Henshall-2

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Henshall-33

These do not make sense to me.

My apologies.
I should have realised the exclamation mark was yours.

Yes, those two Wiki trees do not make sense to me either.
They have this Margerie Gyll being born in Ireland. I don't know where this birth place has come from.

It seems to describe Henshaws of Walton on Thames also.  :)