Author Topic: Captain henry grimes . 15th hussars  (Read 2486 times)

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Captain henry grimes . 15th hussars
« on: Wednesday 10 September 08 05:34 BST (UK) »
I am looking for Captain Henry Grimes of the 15th hussars . 1793-1801.
he was a friend of mygggggreat grandfather Captain Charles Jones .
i have his army promotions and a reference to him in a diary dated 1839. he was promoted from troop 1/4 master to cornet on may 21 1793.
Other than that i know nothing so would like to pointed in some military direction that might include letters or diaries . thanks . Frederickay
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Captain henry grimes . 15th hussars
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 06:01 BST (UK) »
You could try the London Gazette which is online. Being an officer it should have record of all of his promotions, etc. Might also be something in The Times as well.

Doing a Google search and Google Book Search search on Henry Grimes and/or 15th Hussars brings up quite a few references.

Were they in India? There is a reference to a Major Henry Grimes grave in Cawnpore, died 1847.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Captain henry grimes . 15th hussars
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 July 21 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hi sorry that has taken me 13 years to see .. oh dear . I am still doing my genealogy everyday . In that time I have discovered that at least 8 of my extended family ( not relevant to Major Henry Grimes )Jennings were killed in Cawnpore including two Jennings men and then their wives and children were in the massacare . I will look at the Major Henry Grimes link . The Jones diary that mentioned Grimes was 1841/3 so of course the writer had no mention of his death . I will look at those books . I am hoping to find Grimes researchers who may have information on his friend Captain Charles Jones . Thanks Fred .
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..