Author Topic: Completed - thanks  (Read 3173 times)

Offline Goofy

• RootsChat Member
  • If I keep looking I'm sure I'll find something!!
    • View Profile
Completed - thanks
« on: Wednesday 10 September 08 22:26 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find a relative by the name of Clark William Leaning born in the March quarter of 1871 in Caistor, Lincolnshire.  There is a listing of a marriage in the March quarter of 1899 in Grimsby, Humberside to Jane Marie Luke born in the December quarter of 1876 in Sculcoates, East Riding.  She is listed on the 1891 cenus as living in Cottingham, Hull at the Hull Corporation Waterworks where her father was Foreman.

What I can't seem to find is Clark Leaning on any census register either before or after his marriage.  ???  Can anyone please help?
Bell - Newcastle/Northumberland
Hansford - Dorset/Somerset/Isle of Man/Jersey/USA
Lawton - Newcastle/Canada
Leaning - Brigg/Humberside/New Zealand
Price - Wales/Lancashire/USA
Shirt - Doncaster
Wilson - Brigg/Humberside

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Clark William Leaning - Caistor, Lincolnshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 September 08 00:17 BST (UK) »
Without knowing his fathers name - the only possibility I could find is indexed as Clark Leaney aged 10 b Tealby on the 1881 census - parents Benjamin & Ann

You need a copy of his marriage cert to see who his father was
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Goofy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 September 08 08:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks CaroleW, that certainly is a possibility.  I was trying to avoid ordering the certificate though if I could.

Some members on GenesReunited have Clark William Leaning as being born in Grimsby in 1867.  ???  They have his parents as Joseph Leaning and Jane Westoby but I am not sure this is correct.  :-\
Shirt - Doncaster

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 September 08 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

The 1881 entry I found as Leaney - father Benjamin died in 1905 and his name was Benjamin Clark Leaning

The 1871 has him as Benjamin C LEAMING and shows a one month old son William C b Tealby which ties up with the birth you found even though the names are transposed

Tealby came under Caistor registration district

I cannot find an 1867 birth entry on freebmd for a Clark William/William Clark Leaning

Joseph Leaning and Jane Westoby were married in Caistor in 1866 according to freebmd

The 1871 has them transcribed as LENNING and they have a 3yr old son called William.  There is a Caistor birth in 1867 for a William Leaning - not Clark William

I would not trust the GRU info

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Goofy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 September 08 08:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks CaroleW

This definitely looks a strong possibility  :)  As you say,  you can't trust GRU.  It's a shame everyone is not as thorough as us  ;D  I think I will order the marriage certificate anyway just to verify the parents.  Thanks again
Shirt - Doncaster

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Completed - thanks
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 September 08 09:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'd be interested to know his fathers name when you get the marriage cert - would you post on this message so I get a notification

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 September 08 10:02 BST (UK) »
There is a Caistor birth in 1867 for a William Leaning - not Clark William

He was the son of Joseph and Jane, born 21 July, bap 14 Aug 1867 (on BIVRI2 disks)
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline JohnZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks CaroleW, that certainly is a possibility.  I was trying to avoid ordering the certificate though if I could.

Some members on GenesReunited have Clark William Leaning as being born in Grimsby in 1867.  ???  They have his parents as Joseph Leaning and Jane Westoby but I am not sure this is correct.  :-\

My grandfather was certainly Clark William Leaning
(1871 -1942). He had a tailors shop in Cleethorpes Rd, Grimsby. My Grandmother Clara Leaning (nee Paulger) lived in Park Ave Grimsby all the time I remember her.

On inspection of the papers left on my parents’ deaths:
I have the Death Certificate of Clark William Leaning.
I have the Marriage Certificate of Clark William Leaning with Clara Paulger
I have an "In Loving Memory" card for Benjamin Clark Leaning
I have an "In Loving Memory" card for Ann wife of Benjamin Clark Leaning

The parents on the GenesReunited family tree are wrong. The information was obtained by someone my sister appointed. The date of birth and the date of death of Clark William Leaning are not as the original entry on Genesreuinted. I have now inserted the correct information in my family tree on GenesReunited. However I require advice on how to remove the incorrect relationship.

The correct data is below:

Clark William Leaning
Died 2/9/42 aged 71 from death cert.
Therefore he was born in 1871

Clark William Leaning aged 28 married Clara Paulger on 9/3/1899 from Marriage cert
Confirming that he was born in 1871

Clark William Leaning had father Benjamin Clark from marriage cert

Benjamin Clark Leaning died 0n 21/7/1905 aged 75 from an "In Loving Memory" card
Therefore he was born in 1830

Ann wife of Benjamin Clark Leaning died on 23/9/1904 aged 68 from an "In Loving Memory" card
Therefore she was born in 1836

Clara Paulger aged 29  married Clark William on 9/3/1899 from Marriage cert
Therfore she was born in 1870

Clara Paulger's father was William Paulger from Marriage cert

Offline Goofy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Completed - thanks
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi JohnZ

Thank you for the information.  It certainly confirms what I know. 

This all started with contact from a lady in New Zealand through GenesReunited who is a distant cousin related by my great grandfather Richard Leaning.  She had contact with a GR member who had Clark on their tree and thankfully she did her research before copying the information to her tree and found that it was obviously incorrect.  Neither of us are sure where Clark fits into our trees but as we have been doing so much research on him I certainly would like to add him to mine.  I found a census entry for 1871 which listed his parents as Benjamin C Leaning & Ann Leaning with a 1 month old son William C Leaning.  Unfortunately, this was mistranscribed as Leaming.  I also found a marriage in 1866 between Benjamin Leaning and Ann Foston so this would fit nicely.

It is sad that people are just prepared to copy information from another tree without doing their research.  This is not the first time this has happened to me so I always do the research to back up the data before entering it onto my tree.  I would love to contact you through GR and see your tree to see how Clark would fit into mine.  I will send a message to Carole in NZ with your information so that her tree will also be correct.  As for taking the information off GR, I am not sure how you would do this.  I think you have to contact the members individually and ask them to remove the information.  I had to do this with my great grandfather's parents as there were 3 people with the wrong parents.  I did contact all 3 members but unfortunately the incorrect information is still on their tree.  I hope this helps.

Goofy
Shirt - Doncaster