Author Topic: MacQuarrie-Gordon Clans  (Read 11372 times)

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
Re: MacQuarrie-Gordon Clans
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 May 09 08:08 BST (UK) »
There was a Lachlan Macquarie who became Governor of NSW: - try g**gling that name, in inverted commas   :)   Lots of info there.
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline KGBNZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 June 09 09:35 BST (UK) »
I am trying to positively link Duncan and Donald as brothers? Duncan who died in 1899 is my great grandfather. My grandmother Mary Patterson MacQuarrie was the oldest child of Duncan and Leah MacQuarrie. I have a Leah Rodgers died in 1921 would this be the same Leah Hemmingsen. Are you sure it is Jean Patterson I have a Jane Patterson recorded on a birth document for Duncan MacQuarrie.

Offline WGM mainlander

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 June 09 10:09 BST (UK) »
Jean in Scotland is the same as Jane here. Jane and John had John, Donald and Isabella in Scotland, and then George, Donald and Duncan in New Zealand.  Jane died in 1874.  Duncan Married Leah Hemmingsen.  They had Mary, Donald, Lilian and Rod.  George and Duncan were both police constables, as was Rod.  One or two of your uncles were also in the police force.  After Duncan died, Leah married Paul Rogers, but he died shortly afterwards when some children threw gelignite onto a stump he was burning.  Leah later married Fred Hinde.  She died in 1948.  Louise (Margaret's great grandaughter) Walter (Donald's grandson and I (Duncan's grandson) have all built up a great deal of information we could share.  John, his two wives, George and his wife, Donald and his wife share a family plot with other family members.  I can just remember meeting aunty Mary and two of your uncles.  One was lucky to miss the Tangiwhai disaster.  Wallace

Offline KGBNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 June 09 10:15 BST (UK) »
OK I have identified the burial place of most of these. Would be good to communicate more info directly if you wish.

(*)

will get me

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline tmisty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 31 July 09 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, Thankyou for your replies. Sorry i have not been back on as i have had no pc for a while. I have been in touch with walter mc Quarrie with some of the replies here and they have been very helpful. I am pleased to say he is now in touch with relatives through this site. much of the information has been relevant to his history. It does seem that the other family members have also been un sucessful in gathering information of the early family in scotland, and have not been able to find the house of gordon relavent to isabella gordon. any further information will be passed on to walter and to the other family also now researching. thank you for your help. when i get some info sent to be to answer some of the replies i will post.
thank you again
Names: Main line WEBB,married to DICKS,STUBBS,BRANSON. Places of Intrest. Northampton England (Brington,Denford,Titchmarsh..Northampton)

Offline rossdad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 30 January 11 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Probably out of date now but when I was hunting out names for  McQuarrie  In Galloway  (Scotland ) family history  I came across a ref. to a  Donald McQuarrie who lived in Invercargill, New Zealand in 1919 who's daughter Evelyn was married there. He put a notice in one of the local papers ("Galloway News" I think )  about his daughters' marriage so he would have had a local connection. His son Walter McQuarrie, died in W. W. 1, (8/5/1915) and is named on Twelve Tree Corpse Memorial in Turkey.
I have been told he was married to a Gordon from huntly but as that came from a niece in N.Z.  I wonder if some lines are crossed somewhere. It seemed strange that a man from the highlands would put a notice in a local paper for an area where he had no connection

The badge with an arm holding a sword is a McQuarrie badge

Offline tmisty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 31 January 11 03:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I would be interested in learning more.
Names: Main line WEBB,married to DICKS,STUBBS,BRANSON. Places of Intrest. Northampton England (Brington,Denford,Titchmarsh..Northampton)

Offline tmisty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 31 January 11 03:39 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure if this is of any help, But by memory, walter had said that his great grandfather was a General or something to Govenor Grey (NZ Wars) also there is an association to McQuarries and a Bank in eith England or America. I will find out more

Offline Jocelyn Gladys

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 03 January 21 02:00 GMT (UK) »
I'm also interested in the McQuarrie family tree. My grandmother was Gladys Mary McQuarrie daughter of Donald McQuarrie and Mary P McQuarrie Nee Tosh. I caught up with Walter McQuarrie, my mothers cousin, a few years ago after the death of my uncle.