Author Topic: Proposal for a central list of rootschatters FH websites  (Read 43797 times)

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
Re: Proposal for a central list of rootschatters FH websites
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 18 September 08 23:35 BST (UK) »
Great to see all this interest.  :)

I'm waiting for Berlin-Bob to come back with the ok to go-ahead from the moderators (collectively, so to speak).  I've asked that the list be stickied on this board so that it is "visible" even when it hasn't been added to for a little while.

My original proposal was for "family history" "websites". 

I think this means websites including those in blog format (but not message boards), and those sites that support family history research (not just the histories of families). 

There's time before actually setting up the list to debate my "ruling" above (I'm not passionate about that interpretation, so I won't be upset if someone wants to put forward an alternative view).

I also have it in mind to include as the components of the list:

- the rootschatter's handle,
- the link to the site, and
- a brief statement about the site and any particular features eg  "ancestors, including trees and biographies, plus baptisms for Dunresearching parish church"

Again thoughts on this welcome too

[I was trying to work out how to use tables in a post - but can't get it to work.  Can anyone enlighten me on this?  ::) ]

Thanks again for your interest  :-*

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 19 September 08 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Julian  :)

Bob showed me how to do it when I ran those how many rootschatter threads but I've not got it on this machine.

However, if you go to this site:

http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php?topic=13828.0;wap2

and scroll down to Tables, it gives you the code

It's best to do it in an HTML editor program first  - I remember that bit  ;D

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 19 September 08 00:06 BST (UK) »
Here is my web site - only really useful if you are researching in the county of Suffolk, although you might find items of interest such as the Links and Resources page which lists national and international sites, not just Suffolk.

www.suffolk-surnames-list.co.uk

Pat ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 18:37 BST (UK) »
Dear all

Thanks for your support.  I have now set up a list at http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=336023.0

I suggest keeping this thread open to discuss the list.  For example, I am open to further refinement of the list (having mastered simple tables in BBC code!), so this thread is the place to make any suggestions.

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline martin mosley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 18:45 BST (UK) »
Julian,

Thank you for your initiative.

Let's hope this is the beginning of a comprehensive listing which helps all members.
Mosley; Pugh; Thorpe; Webster; Hill; Ibberson; Nicholson; Moody; Maxfield; Newbold; Lee; Adams; Walker; Tesh; Barnes; Brittlebank; Cowlishaw; Smethurst; Alsibrook

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 18:54 BST (UK) »
Well done Julian

MODS - please could Julian's list be stickied near the top of the board so that it doesn't "get lost" over time

cheers

dinie
Census information is Crown Copyright - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 18:59 BST (UK) »
erm not a fmaily history web page but here is mine

http://www.justgiving.com/toniholman

;D
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 19:29 BST (UK) »
Julian

Well done and thank you, pal  :)

I think it should be stickied but why is it not in alpha order  ;D ;D ;D

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 19:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for taking the time and effort Julian  ;D ;D

Kerry  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....