Author Topic: Waltons of Whitechapel  (Read 2152 times)

Offline Aussie Roy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Waltons of Whitechapel
« on: Friday 12 September 08 06:36 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor James Hawes Mason b.1799 Whitechapel. What a stroke of luck I thought when I found him on LDS Ancestral file with parents, wife and in laws. Wife Elizabeth Walton has parents Joseph Walton and Sarah  ?  married 1795 St. Dunstans Whitechapel. It seems odd that the same information is not listed on IGI and no marriage shows in parish records that I have found on line. So where did the ancestral file come from ?
Allen(Dorset),Barker(Essex), Batham, Burris, Champelovier(London, Clark (Suffolk), Clay (London), Elliott (Wilts), Faith (Sussex), Hawes (London), Heinemann (Germany),  Hussey (Dorset), Mason (London), Myers (Yorks/Lancs), Parker (Yorks), Phillips(Hamps),  Smith,(Wilts) Wingate (Sussex) , Wiseman, Townson Yorks), Want(Wilts) and more

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Waltons of Whitechapel
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 September 08 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy

if you go to

www.familysearch.org

click on the search tab, you then get options on the left, take the 5th 'Pedigree Resource file'

if you then search on James Mason bp 1799 and click on the result, you do find out the name of the submitter

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Aussie Roy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 September 08 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn. Perhaps I misled you. I meant ' pedigree resource files ' not ancestral files. Yes I have the name of the submitter, Hector Chalmers of South Australia . What I meant was what was the source of his information ? The names all appear to be correct, but the parishes and dates are wrong. I have since found Elizabeth Walton at St. Mary's Whitechapel b.1793. (St.Dunstans is Stepney). The marriage of Joseph Walton and Sarah  ?  he gives as 1795 at St. Dunstan.  It's not there or any other parish nearby.   http://www.parishregister.com/searchpage.asp
 I was hoping for Sarah Walton's maiden name..... Roy
Allen(Dorset),Barker(Essex), Batham, Burris, Champelovier(London, Clark (Suffolk), Clay (London), Elliott (Wilts), Faith (Sussex), Hawes (London), Heinemann (Germany),  Hussey (Dorset), Mason (London), Myers (Yorks/Lancs), Parker (Yorks), Phillips(Hamps),  Smith,(Wilts) Wingate (Sussex) , Wiseman, Townson Yorks), Want(Wilts) and more

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 September 08 12:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy

Some people who put their trees on the IGI do not always have the correct information and often make a guess at the time and church.  Also it need not have been in London at all.

The parishregister site only gives baptisms.  I know they did some marriages but I can't find them now.

The Hugh Wallis site http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountryEngland.htm
give marriages on the IGI at St Dunstans and does not include your Waltons and yes they are not on the IGI.  The Hugh Wallis site includes Whitechapel in Stepney

You could get the transcription of the baptism from Parish registers.  It is possible the mothers maiden name would be on there.  It is very cheap from England but don't know about from Oz.  Or you could ask Dawnsh or someone going to the archives to have a look for you.

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston