Author Topic: malt  (Read 5813 times)

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
Re: malt
« Reply #18 on: Monday 15 September 08 15:32 BST (UK) »
I found a container of malt extract at woolworths kwinana west au in  the treacle section.

i am going to get one to try.

sylvia
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 15 September 08 15:46 BST (UK) »
As a sickly sort of child, with some unidentified problem with my digestive system, I was given all sorts of bizarre concotions to try to make me "function" normally.

How many of you were made to drink liquid paraffin on a daily basis? Not many, I would guess. Believe me, cod liver oil with malt was a positive treat by comparison.  ;D

During one stay in Middlesbrough General Hospital, at the age of four, I was allowed to go round with the nurses, helping to dish out the daily dose of malt extract to other children.

There was another spectacularly disgusting substance which, in our house, was just known as "Pyok" because that was roughly the noise I made when forced to drink it. I think it was an iron tonic - sort of yellowy green and gloopy.

Amazingly, I have no problems whatsoever these days - could it just be that I eat copious quantities of fresh fruit and veg? What sort of a radical idea would that have been in 1954?

;D ;D ;D

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline justmej

• RootsChat Senior
  • 578 Squadron Memorial Balkholme East Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 15 September 08 22:57 BST (UK) »
There was another spectacularly disgusting substance which, in our house, was just known as "Pyok" because that was roughly the noise I made when forced to drink it. I think it was an iron tonic - sort of yellowy green and gloopy.

I remember this one and it was utterly HORRIBLE...... Minadex, I think its name was.  Loved the malt and cod liver oil though ;D  Another favourite of mine were the small tins of Horlicks tablets, with each tablet individually wrapped.

Brumby and Cheeseman (Louth, Lincs)
Brumby, Clark, Smith & Young (Sunderland, Co.Durham)
Cowing, Foster, Hudspith, Kilgour, Patterson, Pattinson, Pringle & Robinson (Northumberland)
Douglas, Laurence, McQueen, Moffat & Pringle (Scotland)
Hall, Harding (Hollinside), Maugham/Maughan & McQueen (Whickham, Co.Durham)
Oliver & Stark (Co.Durham, Northumberland & Scotland)

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 15 September 08 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Don't remember having to eat/drink any of that stuff but I do remember that Sunday was the only day we had a bath ...my sis and I shared one, the rest of the week we were washed in the kitchen sink .... eeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkk

How funny to remember that!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

deb born in the 60's
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 15 September 08 23:56 BST (UK) »
I brought a jar of Virol home for the children - they hated it, but my OH's eyes lit up when he saw a childhood favourite and insisted I included it on the weekly grocery list. 

My mother once brought home a codliver oil chocolate bar from the Co-Op thinking her weekly chore of getting 3 little mouths to open on cue would be made easier, Ugh.

Am I the only one to remember a spoonful of Bemax scattered on breakfast cereals and a hot 'beef' drink made of a small teaspoon of Burdalls gravy salts in a cup of boiling water?

Rena - born in the 30's  8)
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke