Author Topic: Sing sing prison  (Read 7939 times)

Offline syd

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Sing sing prison
« on: Monday 12 April 04 22:51 BST (UK) »
anyone know of where I can get info of inmates at Sing sing prison early 1900s.
Researched Dewdney.Polley.Preston.Cooper.Fowler.Mills.

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
Re:Sing sing prison
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 April 04 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Syd,

I have tried a few "googles" and could not find anything on "Sing Song Prison"  :'( Have you any more information ???

RootsChat ;D
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline syd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 April 04 08:19 BST (UK) »
 :)Thanks for getting back to me,all I have is the name of the Island that it was on I think,Ossining.Which is probably something to do with the pet name Sing Sing.
We have a grandfather who apparently spent some time there but have no records of it. :-\
Researched Dewdney.Polley.Preston.Cooper.Fowler.Mills.

Offline reaxprs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 May 04 19:30 BST (UK) »
Syd,

I happen to be somewhat of an expert on the subject of Sing-Sing.  I'm actually writing a book about Jewish inmates at the prison......

The most valuable sources of information about Sing-Sing inmates are:

- the admissions registers which are held by the New York State Archives in Albany.  I have photographed admissions records (1880-1950) for all inmates who claimed to be Jewish.  So, if your grandfather was Jewish, you're REALLY in luck.

- Federal and State Censuses which, surprise, I also have in my possession.

If, by chance, you're grandfather was Jewish, I'd love to include his story in the book that I'm writing.

Ron
Oakland, CA  :)

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 May 04 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Ron,

Very intererested to read your posting, sounds very exciting  ;D

Sarah
Admin
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 May 04 09:36 BST (UK) »
Okay, this is a long shot I know.

I'm looking for a Robert McIntosh, (wife Mary b1860's) who moved from the UK to New York after 1880. She died there in 1938 (after re-marriage to 'Frank' Magurno.).

The family story has it that he (Robert) was a prison governor?/officer?. Is there any evidence that he was ever employed at Sing-Sing?.

Thanks,
Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline reaxprs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 May 04 15:33 BST (UK) »
Pauline,

There were 8 men named Robert McIntosh living in New York State in 1900, according to the U.S. Census of that year.  The most likely candidate for you is one who was born around 1862, living in Manhattan.  Due to the poor quality of the image of the census it is impossible to determine the occupation of this individual.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, there are no lists of Sing-Sing workers available  :(

Ron

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 May 04 15:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, I would think from that I'm not going to get any closer. Just as well it not the direct line!.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline reaxprs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 May 04 15:44 BST (UK) »
Pauline,

Update: this must be your man because, in the 1910 U. S. Census, he is still living in Manhattan and married to Mary.  His occupation is: "Janitor" in and "Apartment House."  

Note: Mary was listed with this Robert in the 1900 Census, although I did not pick it up the first time I viewed the page - Mary's name is covered up with extra ink.

Ron