Author Topic: McCauley (McAuley) family of Ardymaugh  (Read 25299 times)

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McCauley (McAuley) family of Ardymaugh
« on: Monday 15 September 08 03:41 BST (UK) »
Would like additional information on this family.  Here is what I have found so far:

James McAuley, farmer, of Ardymaugh.  Died 1874, aged 65.  Married to Ellen Brice who d. 1889, aged 69.

Executors:  John McAulay and Robert Grady of Ballynashee, Balyclare, farmers

Sarah Wilson McCauley of Ard(y)magh and Ballyeaston, dau of James McCauley, farmer, married 1875 William Adair of Carleagh at Kilbride Prebyterian Church.  William was a school master and the son of John Adair, farmer.

I am not sure, yet, if James McAuley and and Richard McAuley of Ahoghill were related.  So far, Richard's line goes like this:

1.  Richard McCauley married ?
2.  Eliza m. 1855 James Morton, son of James Morton, weaver
3.  John Morton, b. 1865 of Craigs
2.  Sarah Jane McCauley m. 1875 at Ballymena 3rd Presbyterian Church to William Robinson (see my Robinson post for additional information).

Once again, any additional information on the McCauley family of Ardymaugh would be much appreciated.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: McCauley (McAuley) family of Ardymaugh
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 September 08 15:45 BST (UK) »
have you seen genforum.genealogy.com/ireland/antrim/messages/1614.html I found this one by starting to search google for Ardymaugh. Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 September 08 08:52 BST (UK) »
Jim,
Thanks for checking for me.  Unfortunately, I am the one who put that post on genforum. My real name is Paul.  I only used pablo for this list as someone else was using the name of paul.

Once again, your efforts were/are very much appreciated...Paul

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 September 08 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Pablo, I had a further look around,  You and Paul! have worked hard on the message boards. my normal research is in Co Down where I know it is essential to have the civil parish and then the townland for good research, and worse try to find the Government administration District  covering part or all of the area wanted. The OS of NI in 1970 published a series of maps, one should be for County Antrim, sheet ! should be a map showing townlands and other administrative units and the disposition of 6 inch sheets and 1;2500 plans .You need a look up friend in Belfast.  My instinct is to examine the large 6 inch map for the area and some clues might exist as to why it is called Ardymagh. There appears to be lots of good fishing around the area, the photos of the road show its worth visiting, but I live in England, so sorry.

So just to see if I have picked up anything you haven’t heres my look for Ardymagh

current spelling on Google maps and as named by photographers eg www.geograph.org.uk/photo/533522
Its south of Glenwherry by say 800 metres
Ardymagh Road runs roughly to Glenwherry , parrell East-west from  Ballynashee Road in a loop up  to Shaneshill Road

below you will see I have post codes which I have not put into Google search for maps

As a townland it is not listed by PRONI  currently Recheck alternative spellings eg Ardimagh. No that didn’t work

Griffiths Valuation approx early 1860s for Ahoghill Parish the list from is
Mc Auley          Daniel                Ahoghill,Killane                  Ahoghill     Antrim
Mc Auley          Denis                 Ahoghill,Killane                  Ahoghill     Antrim
Mc Auley          James                 Brocklamont                       Ahoghill     Antrim
Mc Auley          William               Lisnafillon                       Ahoghill     Antrim
Mc Cawley         Allen                 Carniny                           Ahoghill     Antrim
Mc Cawley         Patrick               Carniny                           Ahoghill     Antrim
Griffiths Valuation approx early 1860s for Rashee parish, the list is
Mc Cawley        James            Ballynashee     Rashee     Antrim
Mc Cawley        John             Ballynashee     Rashee     Antrim
from the new venture http://staging.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv {not working today saturday}  one should be able to see the progress of the digitization of Griffith’s valuation superimposed on the OS 1860s Map 6 inch to the mile. The 1830’s  6 inch map exists in PRONI and Linehall library

from www.eoni.org.uk/north_antrim_street_index_2007
North Antrim list from
Continstuency  O703   ARDYMAGH  RD   BALLYNASHEE, BALLYCLARE   BT39 9TJ
from www.eoni.org.uk/north_antrim_street_index_2007
East Antrim List
Continstuency 0612   ARDYMAGH RD   BALLYALBANAGH, BALLYCLARE   BT39 9TJ

from 1888 www.libraryireland.com/BassettAntrim/Ballyclare.php
M'Auley, Geo., Ballynashee
M'Auley, J. R., Ballynashee
M'Auley, Jno., Ballynashee

from the new venture http://staging.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv {not working today saturday}  one should be able to see the progress of the digitization of Griffith’s valuation superimposed on the OS 1860s Map 6 inch to the mile. The 1830 6inch map exists for Co Antrim in PRONI and Linehall library and elsewhere.

So what surprises me today is I cant find freeholders spelling at all in PRONI freeholders or possible signers of the Ulster Covenant also at PRONI.
Have you exhausted www.familysearch.com, and www.emerald ancestors.com , ancestry and rootsweb etc.  I think I am running out of ideas, and may not be able to help you further. 
It s a challenge as to why the Road is so clearly named , and yet it isn’t a current townland, presumable of being swallowed up over time by other made boundaries. more voluntary help is needed for you. Best regards Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 September 08 09:44 BST (UK) »
Jim,
You put a lot of effort into this last post for me so many many thanks.  Yes, the macaulay genforum board has kept me quite busy over the years.  That is what happens when the so-called Clan Macaulay mixes things up with a very hard-headed Scot-Irishman like myself!!

I will check out the map web addresses that you sent and do more hunting around familysearch.  I really want to thank you for the effort that you put into this for me.  And if I can ever be of any genealogical help to you please let me know what you are looking for.  With best regards from the land of the rising sun and before that, from the land of the sub-prime mess and the sinking dollar.  With very best wishes, Paul

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 April 09 08:35 BST (UK) »
Related or not?

Oct. 22, 1955 issue of Irish Times

At Ballenon Reformed Presbyterian Church--John Blair, son of J. Blair of Carndhu, Larne, Co.  Antrim, married Vera Macauley Dodds, the dau. of Rev. William Dodds, B.A., Ballenon.

Attending the wedding:
Rosemary Fairley, her cousin
W. Dodds, acting as usher

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 November 18 04:20 GMT (UK) »
Pablo,

Would like additional information on this family.  Here is what I have found so far:

James McAuley, farmer, of Ardymaugh.  Died 1874, aged 65.  Married to Ellen Brice who d. 1889, aged 69.

Executors:  John McAulay and Robert Grady of Ballynashee, Balyclare, farmers

Sarah Wilson McCauley of Ard(y)magh and Ballyeaston, dau of James McCauley, farmer, married 1875 William Adair of Carleagh at Kilbride Prebyterian Church.  William was a school master and the son of John Adair, farmer.

I am not sure, yet, if James McAuley and and Richard McAuley of Ahoghill were related.  So far, Richard's line goes like this:

1.  Richard McCauley married ?
2.  Eliza m. 1855 James Morton, son of James Morton, weaver
3.  John Morton, b. 1865 of Craigs
2.  Sarah Jane McCauley m. 1875 at Ballymena 3rd Presbyterian Church to William Robinson (see my Robinson post for additional information).

Once again, any additional information on the McCauley family of Ardymaugh would be much appreciated.

McCauley’s are not my line although various brides of that name weave in and out my Antrim Gardner family.

I don’t know what further information you now have on James McAuley and his family since Sept 2008 but I recently came across a marriage in 1877 in the Parish of Kirkinriola of a Jane McAuley who married Andrew Gardner, a Skerrywherry farmer. Jane was residing in Ardimagh (image spelling) with a father listed as James McAuley, farmer.

Around 1883 Jane and Andrew Gardner emigrated and were living with their children (immediately before their names is listed a 19yr old Edward McAuley) in Amo, Cottonwood County, Minnesota.  (Minnesota State Census 1885). 

Andrew died in 1909. The widow, Jane, was still there in the 1910 Census but missing in 1920. Findagrave has Jane’s death as 3 Feb 1921 and buried in Amo Township Cemetery as is her husband, Andrew. I have not found her death in the Minnesota records. She may have died in Canada.

The 1900 US Census for Amo & Rose Hill township, Cottonwood, Minnesota has Edward McCauly (as spelt) with his wife, Anna, and two children. Born in Jan 1862 in Ireland, Edward emigrated in 1884.  Edward is buried in Amo Township Cemetery. Someone has kindly added details of the McCauley family on the Amo Cemetery Findagrave website. He is very likely to be a younger brother of Jane Gardner and son of your 2008 query, James McCauley, Ardymagh.

It was through researching Edward McCauley in Amo trying to find his sister, Jane Gardner, after 1910 that I came upon Edward’s biographies in Genealogy Trails. I didn’t find Jane but the bio mentioned that Edward resided upon arrival in the USA in Piatt County, Illinois. The Gardner’s also initially joined Gardner family members somewhere in Illinois. The lights went on; this was a fantastic clue that resulted in a Happy Dance!! Andrew’s missing father and brother have finally been found.

Tracing female family members who disappear from records are especially difficult to track so I hope that what I have found may help you or another Antrim McCauley / McAuley researcher.

Regards,
KiwiRose.
Ireland:
County Antrim: Carrickfergus District: Irwin, McAllister, McNeil, Moore.
County Clare: Barrett.
USA:
Washington State: Moore, Hoyt, Sinclair, Johnson, Palmateer, Larrabee.
California: De Curtoni.
New Zealand: De Cartoni, Lofquist, Harding.

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 November 18 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi, KiwiRose,
Many thanks for your additional information on the McCauley-Gardner connection.  Many of this family moved to Livingston County, New York.  Other families that resided there beside the Macauleys were members of the following families, Service (Servis), Dodds, Buchanan, McCurdy, McTarnaghan, Gardner and Robinson.  This area in the States is a real gold mine for our area of interest.  Two towns of interest in Livingston Co. are Groveland and Geneseo, amongst others.  In the case of the Macauleys (McCauleys) they had originally settled in New Jersey but later moved to the New York area.

Some of my earlier research I can throw out as I have not been able to establish the Morton connection.  One of problems was that in a newspaper article my g g grandfather's name was said to be Robert, whereas on a copy of the marriage of his dau Sarah Jane to William Robinson, his name is listed as Richard.

I will get back later with more on this family from Cottonwood, MN. 
With very best wishes,
Paul Robinson
Osaka, Japan

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 11:59 GMT (UK) »
History of Cottonwood and Watonwan Counties of Minnesota with additional information.

1.  James McCauley m. 1846 Ellen Killen @ Glenwhirry Presbyterian Church, Ballymena.

2.  James

2.  John

2.  Jane

2.  Sarah Wilson McCauley m. 1875 at Kilbride Presbyterian Church to William Adair, d. 1912, school master.  William was the son of John Adair.  They had with other issue,

3.  Crawford Bryce Adair (1889-1977) m. Margaret (Meta) McCurdy (1892-1989); this family emigrated to Cottonwood, Minnesota.  Margaret was the dau of John McCurdy and Agnes Beggs.

2.  Ellen McIlwaine McCauley m. 1890 at Wellington Street Presbyterian
Church to  David Bonnar (1864-1918), of Crosshill, Glenwherry, farmer;  They had two daus,
Jane and Ellen Bonnar.

2.  Edward Brice Killen McCauley (1862-1959) m. 1893 at the 3rd Presbyterian Church in Ballymena to Annie Martin (1874-1925) and they emigrated in 1883 to Amo Township, Cottonwood, Minnesota.  Edward owned 440 acres of land there.

3.  Edward James McCauley, Jr. (1896-1950) m. Inga Helen Eidem (1899-1990), dau of John
 Eidem and Marit Grotte.

3.  Crawford Brice  McCauley (1898-1956)