Author Topic: McCauley (McAuley) family of Ardymaugh  (Read 25121 times)

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McCauley (McAuley) family of Ardymaugh
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 December 18 03:26 GMT (UK) »
We know that the Adair family moved from Cottonwood, MN to Livingston County, New York.  But I have also found the following:  Andrew Gardner of Buffalo, New York and William Gardner of Detroit, Michigan, visiting their cousin, Elma Buchanan.

Elma Buchanan, nee McCauley, was married to Thomas Buchanan.  Elma died on June 29, 1958 and was buried in Temple Hill Cemetery.  She left at least one son, Charles Thomas Buchanan.
Thomas Buchanan died on Jan. 23, 1938, aged 72.  Thomas left the following brothers and sisters:

Hugh Buchanan, twin of Tom.  Hugh died May 28, 1944; m. Ellen Armstrong
William Buchanan of Geneseo, NY
Samuel Buchanan of Mt. Morris, NY
Andrew Buchanan of Sonyea, NY
John Buchanan of Ireland
Charles Buchanan of Ireland
Martha Buchanan of Ireland
One more brother name unknown at this time.

The main question is how were these two Gardners related to the Andrew Gardner who lived in Cottonwood.

Best website to use is Fultonhistory.com  This site has a lot of digitalized newspapers dealing with the Mt. Morris, Groveland, Geneseo, and Sonyear areas.  Other related families from Antrim are Service (Servis), McTarnaghan, and Beggs.

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 31 December 18 05:01 GMT (UK) »
We know that the Adair family moved from Cottonwood, MN to Livingston County, New York.  But I have also found the following:  Andrew Gardner of Buffalo, New York and William Gardner of Detroit, Michigan, visiting their cousin, Elma Buchanan.

Thank you for the above. I was unaware of the information about William Gardner, (Detroit, Michigan) and Andrew (Buffalo) visiting their cousin Elma Buchanan, nee McCauley.  The brothers, William and Andrew are sons of William John Gardner who was a younger brother of Elma’s mother, Agnes McCauley, nee Gardner.

Best website to use is Fultonhistory.com  This site has a lot of digitalized newspapers dealing with the Mt. Morris, Groveland, Geneseo, and Sonyear areas.  Other related families from Antrim are Service (Servis), McTarnaghan, and Beggs.

I have delved into the Fultonhistory site which is brilliant. The Service (Servis) family are of interest as I believe Sarah Service, nee Gardner, who married John Service is part of my Gardner tree. There are Beggs connections also. The McTarnahan’s are completely unknown to me.

The main question is how were these two Gardners related to the Andrew Gardner who lived in Cottonwood.

I have thought long and hard about the above question.

The Cottonwood Andrew’s parents were John Gardner and Mary Ann McNeight (McKnight).

Livingston’s Agnes McAuley nee Gardner’s parents were John and Mary (nee Mackey) Gardner.

The Cottonwood Andrew and Livingston County Agnes could only be related through their Gardner grandfathers, Thomas and Andrew, or a generation or two further back. (I’ve ignored the possibility of a sibling marriage as too difficult at the moment.)

There could be a connection through Cottonwood Andrew’s wife Jane, nee McAuley, and Livingston County’s David McCauley, husband of the above mentioned Agnes.

It looks like the Livingston County’s David McCauley’s parents were Robert and Eliza (Service) McCauley married 23 May 1848. Robert’s parents were supposedly John McCawley and Jane Gardner.  This possibility rang a bell.

Cottonwood’s Jane Gardner’s (nee McCauley) parents were James (d 1874) and Ellen (nee Killen) McAuley of Ardymagh.  Who were James of Ardymagh’s parents?

Could they be the John and Jane McCawley, farmer, of Ardymagh who featured in “Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland” - “Some recent Cases of Remarkable Longevity” published in 1893? 

The article stated that Jane died aged 97 on 12 July and John at 103 on 12 August. No years mentioned. To verify this I searched for evidence of John and Jane’s deaths in Ireland Civil Registration, up to 1893, but could find no match with their names, ages or dates. Maybe there was a mixture of fact and fiction in the article as with many family stories.
I also noted that the 1813 Ballyeaston Census has a John and Jane McAuley both aged 39 yrs and chn: David 9, Elisabeth 8, Jane 5, James 3 and Ann ½  living in Lower Glenwhirry.

My brain almost burnt out trying to find a Cottonwood/ Livingston County connection so I hope you can make sense of this. Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree and I have missed, or misinterpreted, some piece of information that could prove my speculation over James and Jane McCawley of Ardymagh as complete nonsense. You have far more knowledge of the McAuley’s than I have so I am interested in your thoughts.

Happy New Year.

KiwiRose.
Ireland:
County Antrim: Carrickfergus District: Irwin, McAllister, McNeil, Moore.
County Clare: Barrett.
USA:
Washington State: Moore, Hoyt, Sinclair, Johnson, Palmateer, Larrabee.
California: De Curtoni.
New Zealand: De Cartoni, Lofquist, Harding.

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 13:45 GMT (UK) »
KiwiRose, a very happy new year to you, too!  I am away from home now, but when I return I will look through my notes and see if I can tie anything together.  The John McCauley and his Gardner wife who both lived to an advanced age was mentioned by one of the McCauleys who had emigrated, so I believe their story that was in the Journal of Archeology for Antrim to be true.  However, finding out the relationship between all of them is a whole different kettle of fish.  My first break came when I found that my grandfather's passage (George McCauley Robinson's) had been paid by his uncle and that my grandfather's brother, Thomas Robinson, had also immigrated,  Tom stayed and died in Livingston Co., NY whereas my grandather died in SF.  As far as the McTarnaghan family, I have only been able to find out so far that this family is somehow related to the Buchanan family.  One of my points of interest is that I believe my branch of the Macauleys (McCauleys) hail from the area of Dumbarton in Scotland.  If this is so, it is of interest that although the Macaulays and Buchanans were related by marriage, this was done to stop the feuding as the Macaulays were fighting with the Buchanans, the Galbraiths and the Campbells in Scotland.

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 January 19 04:05 GMT (UK) »
Update:

The John McCauley and his Gardner wife who both lived to an advanced age was mentioned by one of the McCauleys who had emigrated, so I believe their story that was in the Journal of Archeology for Antrim to be true.

In my initial search for the deaths of the above McCauley's in Ireland Civil Registration I only searched the Ballymena registered deaths and neglected to check out Antrim as well. Bingo, there they were!

Death of JOHN MCAULEY in 1870
Group Registration ID   N/R
SR District/Reg Area   Antrim
Deceased Age at Death   102
Returns Year   1870
Returns Quarter   3
Returns Volume No   11
Returns Page No   5

Death of JANE MCAULEY in 1870
Group Registration ID   N/R
SR District/Reg Area   Antrim
Deceased Age at Death   97
Returns Year   1870
Returns Quarter   3
Returns Volume No   11
Returns Page No   5

Familysearch - Ireland Deaths 1864 – 1870 entry states that they both died in Ballynashee, Bashee (Rashee), Jane, a married farmer’s wife on 11 July 1870 and John, a widowed farmer, on 8 Aug 1870.

Now I have to be patient and wait for an update on irishgenealogy.ie to view images for further details (for free) to see who was present at death. This should help me with my Gardner’s and you with your McAuley’s.

Kind regards,

KiwiRose.
Ireland:
USA:

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 January 19 04:44 GMT (UK) »
My  McAuley line; now of Mt. Morris, Groveland, Geneseo, etc.: all of Livingston. County, New York

1.  John M'Cawley of Rashee, b. abt. 1794 m. 1824 Jane Gardner
of Magheraban
2.  Robert McCauley b. abt. 1824 m. Eliza (Elizabeth) Service, dau of John
Service and Sarah Gardner of Carnlea.
3.  David McCauley (1846-1921) m. 1 1871 at Ballymena 3rd Presbyterian Church to
Agnes Gardner 81858-1905); m. 2 in USA to Mary A. Campbell (1856-1933)
4.  Thomas James Macauley (1872-1949) m. Maude May Smith (1888-1982)
4.  Elma Macauley b. 1874 m. Thomas Buchanan
4.  Celia Macauley, died 1941 m. Thomas Van Valkenburg
4.  Robert Macauley m. Mabel Morris
4.  Herbert John Macauley (1882-1924) m. Sarah Glover, died 1934.
4.  Agnes Macauley (1884-1941) m. William Morris
4.  Elizabeth Ann (Peg) Macauley, died 1940; m. 1 Leo Davenport (divorced); m. 2 Joseph Kieffer
4.  Mabel Macauley (twin) died aged 4
4.  May (twin with Mabel) m. David Miller
4.  David Burris Macauley (1894-1958) m. Matilda (Tillie) Jane Love, (1890-1956).
4.  Kathleen Macauley, died 1925, m. William Dolan
3.  Sarah Jane McCauley m. 1875 at Ballymena, 3rd Presbyterian Church to William Robinson, son of Thomas Robinson and Mary Townsley of Ballycor, Ardymaugh.
4.  George Macauley Robinson, my grandfather, m. 1910 Nora Marie Higgins
5.  William Robert Robinson (1914-1987) m. Laney Adams (1922-1978)--my parents
4.  Thomas (Tom) Robinson; of Mt. Morris, NY; died 1950
3.  Jenny McCauley m. 1881 at Wellington Street Presbyterian to William Dodds, son of John Dodds and Martha Houston.
3.  George McAuley, b. 1857 m. 1895 Mary Agnes Blair, dau of Robert Blair
3.  Elizabeth McCauley (1864- 1947) m. James Buchanan (to Livingston Co., NY)
4.  Mary Buchanan (1895-1993) m. Henry Hunter Fraser (1893-1957)
4.  Martha Buchanan (1899-1970) m. Charles T. Cullen (1895-1945)
4.  Joseph Q. Buchanan (1886-1983) of Groveland, NY; m. Katherine Riordon
3.  John McAuley (c. 1864 - 1903); labourer; from Dubarton, Scotland; m. Mary ?, b. abt. 1874
(according to his obit he died on Sept. 14, 1903, aged 45; left wife and three children; he was born Ballynashee, Co. Antrim.  Came to the USA on board the Oceanic in 1902 which sailed from Liverpool; on board was his nephew, Tom Robinson, aged 19, born Ireland.
4.  John Dodds McCauley (c. 1888/1891-1942)
4.  ?
4.  ?

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 January 19 05:10 GMT (UK) »
Other connections formed in Livingston County, New York

1.  James Love, Sr., died 1930, aged 86;  born about 1845 in Co. Antrim; emigrated in 1865;  buried Mt. Morris Cemetery.
2.  James C. Love, Jr.
2.  Mrs Alexander McCullough of Sonyea, NY
2.  Mrs David Macauley of LeRoy
1.  Andrew Love, brother of James, Sr., of Ireland
------------------------

1.  Francis McCullough of Co. Antrim
2.  Mrs Thomas McNeill of Co. Antrim
2.  Mrs John Doole, of Co. Antrim
2.  John McCullough of "      "
2.  Samuel McCullough of "  "
2.  William McCullough of  "  "
2.  Robert McCullough of  "   "
2.  James McCullough of Hubbard, Ohio, USA
2.  Henry A. McCullough of Youngstown, Ohio
2.  Thomas McCullough of New Castle, Pennsylvania, USA
2.  David McCullough of Toronto, Canada m. ?
2.  Alexander McCullough, died 1933, aged 46; b. Co. Antrim; emigrated to USA in 1907;
m. 1910 Mary Love, dau of James Love, Sr.
**McCullough family related to James Storey of Toronto and Mrs William Templeton of Hamilton, Canada

--------------------------

1.  Robert McConnell of Sonyea, NY;  Uncle of Alexander McCullough;  Robert died 1950, aged 80;  died at 61 Fountain Street, Rochester, NY, at the home of his dau, Mrs Fred Buchanan;  Robert was the head carpenter at Craig Colony; m. Elizabeth Hoey, sister of James Hoey of Ireland;  Robert was born in Glenwherry, Co. Antrim and emigrated to the U.S. in 1909;  buried Temple Hill Cemetery.
2.  John McConnell of Rochester, NY
2.  William H. McConnell of Brooklyn, NY
2.  Margaret E. (Marguerite) McConnell m. Fred Buchanan
1.  Agnes McConnell m. John Graham Kelty and lived Denver, Colorado
2.  John McConnell Kelty m. Emma Herholz
2.  Margaret Jane Kelty died 1963 m. 1921 George M. Schmidt; lived Emporia, Kansas
2.  Tom Kelty of Sun City, Arizona
2.  William Kelty of Pittsburgh
2.  James Kelty of Miami, Florida
2.  Mrs John Pilkinton

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 19 January 19 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Pablo,

Thank you for the update of your US McCauley family.  It all helps to slowly unravel the who’s who amongst the Gardner/McCauley branches. 

The lack of records in Ireland has been overcome to a certain extent with the increasing number of records and images available online from the USA and elsewhere.  Some of these records have resulted in my most useful clues concerning family members who emigrated from Ireland. Many confirm family stories.  Whilst searching recently for another Irish family tree branch, I found witnesses to a 1908 marriage that finally proved the continued close connection between the next generations of the Washington State families of two great uncles. (Great Uncles were grandchildren of my Ann Gardner.)

Kind regards,
KiwiRose.
Ireland:
USA:

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 21 January 19 03:05 GMT (UK) »
KiwiRose, Thank you for all of your assistance.  I feel bad sometimes that I cannot do  more research because of work constraints.  Livingston County, New York  seems to have been a real hotbed for Scotch-Irish immigration.  I will make a post soon on the Houstoun family the originally moved there from the Ballyalbana(gh) area of Co. Antrim.  I am not sure why my grandfather moved west rather stay in that area.  However, it might have been due to him not being interested in farming.  Although he liked horses, he also was fond of cars and doing mechanical work.  After coming west, he got jobs as a groom and driver with two wealthy families:  the first was a wealthy businessman and the second was the Pres. of the Bank of California.  It may well be that the Macauleys who were employed by Arthur Brisbane, the newspaper executive for the Hearst newspapers, were able to furnish him a letter of recommendation from Mr Brisbane or Mr Hearst.  My father never talked much about family history, so the only real story I know is this:  one of his father's relations moved to Australia and owned a lot of propery there.  So far, the only family I have found that might fit this description is the Killen family who became very large landowners in Australia.

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 04:51 GMT (UK) »
My father never talked much about family history, so the only real story I know is this:  one of his father's relations moved to Australia and owned a lot of propery there.  So far, the only family I have found that might fit this description is the Killen family who became very large landowners in Australia.

As I had had a relatively easy search for Gardner’s in Lismore, NSW, Australia I thought I’d do a pot luck search for McAuley’s from Antrim for fun. It didn’t take too long to find a couple born in the Glenwherry area living in the Nanango district of Queensland.

This family are probably not the Australian branch referred to above but many of the names were familiar. The brief details of what was found are below:

Thomas McCauley (1859 – 1934) the son of David McAuley (d 1907 Crosshill, Glenwherry) and Mary Service (d. 1920 in Mistyburn). Thomas’s Nanango farm was called Cross Hills.

Thomas married Margaret Clarke (1864 – 1945) in Queensland in 1883, daughter of Francis Clarke (d 1902 in Ballynashee) and Janet Bonar. In his will the widowed Francis Clarke left his Crosshill farm to his daughter Jane McAuley.  Jane McAuley’s two daughters, Jane Bonnar McAuley and Ellen Brice McAuley, were also mentioned in the will. (Aussie resident daughter Margaret got nothing!)   Jane McAuley’s (nee Clarke) husband was James who was a farmer.

I hope this does not cause you further McCauley confusion!

Kind regards,
KiwiRose.
Ireland:
USA: