Author Topic: McCauley (McAuley) family of Ardymaugh  (Read 25349 times)

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: McCauley (McAuley) family of Ardymaugh
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 17 April 19 23:42 BST (UK) »

Pablo,
KiwiRose, it may well be that her newspaper article was more correct than his unless they had two ceremonies.  The Emerald Ancestors website had the following:  Thomas Hugh Hoey married 1879 to Jane McAuley at the Ranmdalstown Old Presbyterian Church.  Also, on a net website I came across the following although I do not know how accurate it is as there are certain problems, namely that Jane McAuley is a daughter of David McAuley, not James.

The image (irishgenealogy.ie) of the marriage of Thomas Hugh Hoey to Jane McAuley has the following information:

Marriage: Solemnized at Randalstown, in the Parish of Drummaul, in the Co Antrim.
 5 June 1879. Thomas Hugh Hoey, 21yrs, bachelor, Farmer, Glenwherry. Father: Hugh Hoey, Farmer.
Jane McAuley 21, Spinster, Artlone, Father: David McAuley, farmer.
 Witnesses: Thomas McAuley and Agnes Hoey.

Other sibling Hoey marriages that may be helpful:
1883 Andrew Hoey, Crosshill, Father Hugh. Witnesses: John Macauley, Jane Hoey. 
1872 David Hoey details as above, Witnesses: Houston Story, Isabella Hoey

Thomas Hugh’s father left a will when he died at Crosshill on 15 Feb 1900: The image is on Proni wills site. Thomas Hugh received 12 pounds. Among Hugh’s children named in the will was a Jane Houston who received 10 pounds.

I see that Thomas Hugh’s married sister, Mary Ann Barton, emigrated to the South Island of NZ and visited him in Queensland in 1940. Warwick Daily News 24 May 1940.

1.  David McAuley born abt. 1822 m. Mary Service (Serviss), b. abt. 1830
2.  Jane McAuley m. Thomas Hugh Hoey
2.  Robert McAuley
2.  David McAuley, Jr.
*  The son Robert I am aware of but not the David, Jr.

Regarding Crosshill’s David McAuley Mary Service.

Marriage of David McAuley and Mary Service 26 April 1855, Glenwhirry,Ant, Ireland

Fathers:  John McAuley and David Service. "Ireland Marriages, 1619-1898," database, FamilySearch

Children born after Civil Registation:
Birth: 5 Jan 1865 AgnesMcAuley Artlone, Duneane, Parents David mcAuley Mary Servif(Service). Farmer.
Birth: 20 July 1867 David McAuley  Artlone, Duneane. Parents: David McAuley, Mary Service. Farmer.
Birth:  18 Aug 1869 Robert. I think you have his details.
Birth: William Patrick birth 20 Nov 1871 Artlone, Duneane, Parents David McAuley, Mary Servif Farmer. Present at birth was a Charlotte Henry, Moneypick?
Images on irishgenealogy.ie.

David McAuley’s 1907 will mentions additional children who must have been born between 1855 and the 1864 registration. An Agnes McClintock (hubby Alexander), Mary Ann Murry (Andrew Murray), Sarah Warden (Samuel) and an Eliza Jane Hoy? (Is her surname Hoey?). Thirty pounds bequeathed to his son Thomas -who had emigrated to Australia. One of the executors was John Service, farmer of Castlegore. (Wife’s relation?)

Sarah McAuley /Samuel Warden’s 1880 marriage witnesses were Jane Hoey and Thomas McAuley.

Regards,
KiwiRose.

Ireland:
County Antrim: Carrickfergus District: Irwin, McAllister, McNeil, Moore.
County Clare: Barrett.
USA:
Washington State: Moore, Hoyt, Sinclair, Johnson, Palmateer, Larrabee.
California: De Curtoni.
New Zealand: De Cartoni, Lofquist, Harding.

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 18 April 19 06:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks, KiwiRose.  You supplied a lot of additional information for me to work
with.  It's always much appreciated.--Paul

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 19 April 19 18:15 BST (UK) »
I am married to Paul McAuley, whose father is David McAuley. He now owns the farmland at ardymagh road, known locally as the "wee colin" . Paul's father's father was called David McAuley and he was married to Rose Gardener.

Davy inherited the land off his uncle James McAuley. James also had brothers called William, Bryce, Thomas (Tam), a twin that died and don't know his name, and David who is my father in law Davy's father.

Hi Laura,

Thanks for your post.  Do you know roughly when David McAuley married Rose Gardener?  I’m trying to figure out the timescale we’re looking at.

Do you happen to know any of your husband’s ancestors further back?  (e.g. is there a family bible with births/marriages recorded?)

Thanks,
Gilby

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 19 April 19 22:21 BST (UK) »
Trying to find McAuleys of Wee Collin…

Larne Times, 6th Jan 1940:
   GLENWHERRY FLUTE BAND.
The Members of the above Band regret to learn of the death of the mother of their highly-esteemed member, David McAuley, and sister of their highly-esteemed treasurer, John McAuley, Glenwherry, and tender to them their sincere sympathy.  S.B. GRAHAM.  W. J. SMYTH.  Ballynashee, Ballyclare.
   THANKS.
Mr. John McAuley and Family wish to return their sincere thanks to all those who sympathised with them in their recent sad bereavement, also those who sent letters of condolence. – Wee Collin, Ballynashee.

Larne Times, 23rd Dec 1943:
   McAULEY – In loving memory of my dear son and our dear brother, John McAuley, who departed this life on 12th December, 1941.  Ever remembered by his loving Father and Family, Wee Collin, Ballynashee.  Time cannot dim the face we loved.
   McAULEY – In loving memory of my dear wife and our dear mother, Margaret McAuley, who departed this life on 24th December, 1939.  Ever remembered by her loving Husband and Family, Wee Collin, Ballynashee.  Although the great beyond divide, Loving memories still abide.

Margaret McAuley of Bog Battery and John McAuley of Ballynashee married in 1919. 

Added: Margaret's father was David McAuley ... probably the one KiwiRose mentions above who was born in Artlone in 1867?

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 19 April 19 23:25 BST (UK) »
Pablo,

Re: Reply 54.   Hoey

I see that Thomas Hugh’s married sister, Mary Ann Barton, emigrated to the South Island of NZ and visited him in Queensland in 1940. Warwick Daily News 24 May 1940.

Whoops, I made an error!

Thomas H Hoey’s 84yr old sister, Mrs A Barton, who visited him from NZ (Waitahuna, Otago) in May 1940, was not the Mary Ann Barton mentioned in their father, Hugh Hoey’s, will but Mary Ann's NZ sister (not named in the will) Agnes (nee Hoey) Barton. I need to have more faith in the accuracy of Warwick Daily News reports and newspapers in general! Also to remember that not all children are named in a father’s will.  Agnes Hoey married Robert Barton (b Antrim) in Queensland 1882. Husband Robert Barton’s obituary, in the Taupeka Times 8 May 1918, mentions that his bride (Agnes Hoey) was residing with her uncle in Queensland in 1882 when they married.  Agnes and Thomas Hoey’s parents were Hugh Hoey and Jane McCauley of Crosshill. Was this uncle from the McAuley or Hoey side of the siblings’ family? If he was a McAuley it is likely to be Thomas McCauley of Nanango   - parents David McCauley and Mary Service as were Agnes’ mother, Jane (McAuley) Hoey’s.

This could help fill in some gaps in your family tree although I’m completely lost in the McAuley forest at the moment and I ‘m not sure how, or if, the Crosshill branch links back to Ardymagh.

Regards,

KiwiRose.

Ireland:
County Antrim: Carrickfergus District: Irwin, McAllister, McNeil, Moore.
County Clare: Barrett.
USA:
Washington State: Moore, Hoyt, Sinclair, Johnson, Palmateer, Larrabee.
California: De Curtoni.
New Zealand: De Cartoni, Lofquist, Harding.

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 21 April 19 23:48 BST (UK) »
I know how you feel, KiwiRose.  I looked back at the pedigree of the McCauleys that I put up and the dates of birth didn't match up, and there were other gaps involved.  Too many people with similar names to deal with.  With all of that being said, I am pretty sure that the two groupings of McCauleys are related.  I am working on a new theory which I will pass along to you and Gilby to have a look at when I iron out a few problems with it.  HA HA....

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 22 April 19 00:08 BST (UK) »

Birth: 5 Jan 1865 AgnesMcAuley Artlone, Duneane, Parents David mcAuley Mary Servif(Service). 
David McAuley’s 1907 will mentions additional children who must have been born between 1855 and the 1864 registration. An Agnes McClintock (hubby Alexander), Mary Ann Murry (Andrew Murray), Sarah Warden (Samuel) and an Eliza Jane Hoy? (Is her surname Hoey?). Thirty pounds bequeathed to his son Thomas -who had emigrated to Australia. One of the executors was John Service, farmer of Castlegore. (Wife’s relation?)

Regards,
KiwiRose.

Just look for their Marriages....

e.g

Party 1 Name   ALEXANDER MCCLINTOCK
Party 2 Name   AGNES MCCAULEY
Date of Event   08 November 1886
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1886/10847/5960339.pdf

then census, children etc

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 22 April 19 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,

Before you post your current thinking I went back to go through your previous McCauley pedigree on page 3…

Here is the way I see this family coming together.  What are your opinions KiwiRose and Gilby?

I think I agree with pretty much everything apart from David McAuley of Crosshill was not a brother of James and Robert of Ballynashee.  David’s father was John McAuley of Crosshill (c1800-1880) – his will on the PRONI site.

3.  Ellen McIlwaine McCauley m. 1890 David Bonnar w/issue.

At the time of this marriage Ellen’s address is recorded as “Collin” – presumably “Wee Collin” rather than nearby “Big Collin”.

Larne Times, 10th Apr 1952:
BONNAR - March 28, 1952, at her residence, Shoptown, Glenwherry, Ellen M., widow of David Bonnar.  Interred in Glenwherry March 30, 1952. -- Deeply regretted by her sorrowing Daughters at home and abroad.

2.  Robert McCauley, b. 1823 m. Elizabeth Service, dau of John Service and Sarah Gardner

Where did you get the information about Elizabeth Service’s parents?

3.  John McCauley (1858-1903), emigrated to Livingston County in 1902;  he came with Mary
     McCauley, but on the ship's manifest she was listed as being single, while he was listed as being married.  She was also much younger than he.  However, I believe one of their children was

4.  John Dodds McCauley (29 Feb. 1888 - 1962) ;  buried Lakeview Cemetery, Livingston Co., NY;     Because of his early birthdate, I don't think that Mary could have been his mother.

John Macauley married Martha Dodds at Glenwherry Presbyterian in 1883.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Monday 22 April 19 17:47 BST (UK) »
Picking up on John Macauley and Martha Dobbs.  Paul, you mention possible children:
John Dodds McCauley (29 Feb. 1888 - 1962) ;  buried Lakeview Cemetery, Livingston Co., NY

Edward McCauley b. abt. 1893, blacksmith;  Edward m. in 1928 Margaret Robinson, dau. of
     Robert Robinson and Mary Smiley.

John born 19th Feb 1888:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1888/02530/1937280.pdf

I can’t make out the name of the street – it looks like Luir?

I also can’t find Edward’s birth.  Is it possible John and Martha went to live in Scotland before emigrating to America?  (There was mention of Dunbarton in an earlier post.)