Author Topic: Dunnottar House  (Read 46984 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Dunnottar House
« Reply #72 on: Saturday 01 September 18 15:51 BST (UK) »

David Ritchie - 5 February 1866 - England, Oxford Men and Their Colleges, 1880-1892 - 19 October 1883 -

Passed away 12 July 1935 - Probate 18 May 1936 London.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Saturday 01 September 18 16:53 BST (UK) »
England, Oxford Men and Their Colleges, 1880-1892 - William Hamilton Ritchie - 18 January 1883 -
Oxford, Oxfordshire, England

William Hamilton Ritchie - 30 January 1944 probate Llandudno 2 May 1944

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Willsg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Saturday 01 September 18 17:10 BST (UK) »
Crickey!!! Smashed it again Sandra!
You're very good at this  :)
Thank you again!

William

Offline coplani

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Saturday 01 September 18 17:44 BST (UK) »
Is there a 1911 census for the Ritchies at Dunnottar.?
Trying to pin down that picture in front of Dunnottar..

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Saturday 01 September 18 18:05 BST (UK) »
Scotlands People have the 1911 census

Frederick Ritchie  - 1911 - M - aged 41 years -  255/ 3/ 3 - Dunnottar - Kincardine

William H Ritchie  - 1911 - M aged 49 years -  255/ 3/ 3 - Dunnottar - Kincardine

William Ritchie -  1911 - M aged 2 years -  255/ 1/ 4 - Dunnottar - Kincardine

Sandra

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Saturday 01 September 18 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone!

Hope I'm not flogging a dead horse here, please forgive me, but even after all this time, I haven't been able to let this go!

I found this today:  http://www.rootschat.com/links/08kw/   and it's raised more questions for me than answers.  It clearly says that this Dunnottar House should not be confused with the one demolished in 1959  ???

Presuming the last paragraph in that link pertains to the manse house, then perhaps the wedding of my great great grandparents at 'Dunnottar House' wasn't as grand as I first thought!!  The last paragraph pertains to the land of Dunnottar House, including the farming land - this includes Upper Criggie and East Carmount, which is precisely where both sides of the family ancestors are to be found on the census, farming up to 121 acres. 

To be precise, the wedding was that of William Duthie and Mary Turriff (my great great grandparents) in 1855.  The marriage cert states they were married at the 'House of Dunnottar'.  At the time of their marriage, Mary's father Alexander Turriff was a Farmer of 121 acres at Upper Criggie.   At the time of the marriage, William was recorded as a Farm Servant at Criggie.  The 1861 census has them at Criggie, and William as a Ploughman. In 1871 they have popped away to Fetteresso where William is an Ag Lab.  They then return to East Carmount where William is recorded in the 1881 census as Farmer of 110 acres.  Upon his death 10 years later, his personal estate was £524.  I presume this would have been a lot of pennies in them days??

The reason that has reared it's head again is because I finally laid hands on a photo of my great grandparents, and in conversation with family it was brought up that great granny had been brought up 'well heeled' rather than as just a country farmer's daughter.  Of course this made me hark back to the wedding of her parents and gave me pause for thought that they were relatively well-to-do!

Lass x

Hello Lass

I don't know if this is your William Duthie or a relative, or not?

Stonehaven Journal, 15th December 1859
The Stonehaven Literary Society met for their AGM at the Dunnottar School-room and several of those present were James Scott, Esq., writer; Messrs Robert Duthie; and later in the same list a William Duthie.

What is interesting is the following:-
Stonehaven Journal, 24th June 1858
GRASS TO LET.
THE GRASS on the Lawn and in the Plantations
around the House of Dunnottar, is to be Let, for
Sheep pasture, for the season. Apply to James Scott,
Writer, Stonehaven.
     21st June, 1858:

Apparently the House of Dunnottar with shooting over 4,000 acres had been offered for Let
Edinburgh Evening Courant, 14th May 1857
TO BE LET.
With Entry immediately.
THE MANSION HOUSE of DUNNOTTAR,
County of Kincardine, and SHOOTING over
the Estate, will be Let on Lease, for such term of
years as may be agreed upon. The House, which is
partially furnished, is very commodious, and the
Grounds are beautiful. There is a Coach-house and
Stables, and every Convenience suitable for a Family.

What I don't know is whether James Scott was already there in May 1857 and this was him trying to sublet the property, or if James Scott Esq., Writer, rented from this date, or had some other connection with the owner.

Register of Sasines
The Register of Sasines [property register], we used this Register along with the County Council Meeting Minutes, Valuation Books, for another property called Kenmure Castle, Kells, South-west Scotland, to study its demise from a great Castle House overlooking Loch Ken, to a ruined shell and see who was responsible.

The local authority were given an assurance that the new owner a scrap metal dealer (mid 20th Century) wouldn't demolish Kenmure Castle, but no preservation notice was served on the new owner, nor via the selling Estate Agent. The next reports were, that workmen had begun stripping lead on the roof, the Authorities let the lead stripping carry on, rather than try and issue a Preservation Notice to save the roof and building, for fear that they may become financially responsible for making good the damaged part of the roof.

Water got in the roof and through the floors and huge timbers finally rotted through and some old timber remains still lie on the ground floor, about 10 years ago.

Mark

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Saturday 01 September 18 20:53 BST (UK) »
Margaret - daughter of William Ritchie and Margaret Hamilton Ritchie married Captain Francis Robert Henry Chapman on Monday 17 th February 1890 - Margaret of Dunnottar House Stonehaven.

Published - Wednesday 19 February 1890
Newspaper: Aberdeen Press and Journal
County: Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

Francis Robert Henry Chapman - Age:   21 - Birth Year:   abt 1869
Event Date:   12 Feb 1890 - Parish:   St Michael Bournemouth
County Southampton
Spouse's Name:   Margaret Hamilton Ritchie - Spouse's Age:   21
Spouse's Parish:   Saint Paul Wilton Place - Event Type:   Allegation
Reference Number:   MS10091/267

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Saturday 01 September 18 20:55 BST (UK) »
1901 census Bromley Kent.

RG13 Piece 681 Folio 119  Page 13

Francis R H Chapman   42 Born India.
Margaret W Chapman   35 Born Scotland.
Sheila H Chapman   10 Born India. (Poona, India - Sheila Hamilton Chapman)
Edith M H Chapman   4 Born Scotland.  (Edith Margaret Hamilton Chapman)
James Middleton   25 Servant.
Constance Grangere   20 Servant.

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Saturday 01 September 18 20:56 BST (UK) »

Francis Robert Henry Chapman - 22 October 1858 - Baptised 26 November 1858 Sholapore, Bombay, India. Parnets - Ingram Francis Chapman - Mother Louisa.

Sandra