Author Topic: Dunnottar House  (Read 46659 times)

Offline genealpete

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dunnottar House
« Reply #99 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 18:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your message Willsg....I'd love to have the photos in high resolution, and I've sent a Private Message to you with my email address.

Kind regards (geneal)Pete

Offline coplani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hi again.....a wee bit more, for interest in your family....see this link...

https://www.GenesReunited.co.uk/searchbna/results?memberlastsubclass=none&searchhistorykey=0&keywords=frank%20ritchie&county=kincardineshire%2C%20scotland

and

https://www.GenesReunited.co.uk/searchbna/results?memberlastsubclass=none&searchhistorykey=0&keywords=ritchie&county=kincardineshire%2c%20scotland

Press cuttings that you can view for a small fee apparently...

As regards the purchase of Dunnottar House.....From the press cuttings again...
"Stonehaven journal. STONEHAVEN, MAY 23, 1901 Messrs Scott & Gardner, solicitors, have purchased for Mr W. H. Ritchie, Dunnottar House the estate of Dunnottar for the sum of £580,000."

And 20th.Feb.1890...
"MARRIAGE OF MISS RITCHIE OF DUNNOTTAR HOUSE
MARRIAGE OF MISS RITCHIE OF DUNNOTTAR HOUSE. At Paol’B Church, Knightabridge, Loudon, W.,on Monday afternoon, there was celebrated, with fail choral service, the marriage of Captain It. 11. Chapman, eldest son of Major General j Chapman of Weymouth, and....etc

Ian

Offline Willsg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 20:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the tip Ian, I'll give it a bash and see if I can post the pics of documents for those who may be interested.  Thankfully I believe I've managed to reply to Genealpete via email.

Offline genealpete

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 20:15 BST (UK) »
You have indeed WillSG....many thanks for the photos.

I'll reply to your direct email soon.

Kind regards Pete

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Monday 17 December 18 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Henry Oliphant Ritchie -  probate London 11 February 1954
William Hamilton Ritchie - probate Llandudno 2 May 1944
William Ritchie - probate 20 May 1909
Not exactly. Note that the word 'Probate' does not actually appear in any of these extracts from the Calendar of Probate!

As these Ritchies were domiciled in Scotland, their estates were dealt with through the Scottish Courts. There is no such thing as 'Probate' in Scots Law.

The corresponding legal procedure is termed Confirmation, which you will see is mentioned in all three listings.

If someone dies domiciled in Scotland owning property in England, the executry does not have to go through the full procedure of obtaining probate in the English or Welsh courts as well as Confirmation in Scotland. Instead, the Scottish Confirmation is 'Sealed' in England or Wales.

There is a reciprocal arrangement whereby Probate in an English or Welsh court is 'Sealed' in a Scottish court if someone domiciled in England dies in Scotland, and there were also similar arrangements with Ireland.

What this means is that the dates quoted in the (England and Wales) Calendar of Probate are those when the Confirmation was Sealed in England or Wales, not when it was actually granted by the Scottish courts that dealt with it, so if you want to find the original Confirmation it will be between the date of death and the date of sealing.

The other corollary of this is that if someone dies domiciled in Scotland but not owning property in England, there is no need for their Confirmation to be Sealed, and it will not be listed in the (England and Wales) Calendar of Probate. So for most deaths in Scotland you will not find anything in the (England and Wales) Calendar of Probate, even though some web sites imply that it is a list covering the whole of the United Kingdom.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ljeastmount

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 14:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much to all who have contributed on this thread for the interesting information on Dunnottar House and the Ritchie family in particular.  My husband is the grandson of Eric Henry Watts Ritchie's second wife, Margaret.  Eric Henry Watts Ritchie was the son of Henry Oliphant Ritchie and his wife Ruby Bessie Watts, who lived at Netherley House.  Sadly Eric died in 1989, but my husband has many happy memories of spending time with 'Grandad' Eric as a youngster growing up in the Scottish Borders. It has been wonderful reading about all the various bits and pieces about the house and family. Thank you again!

Offline ljeastmount

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 14:56 BST (UK) »
PS - we were especially fascinated by the updated history of Henry O's rifle!

Offline ljeastmount

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 15:03 BST (UK) »
Apologies for third posting, but I am hoping to personal message some of the contributors to this thread. You can only do that after you have posted three times. Many thanks!

Offline genealpete

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hello, ljeastmount ... I am very pleased to see your message(s) here, under the "Dunnottar House" subject heading.

I am related, through marriage, to the Ritchie family; my wife Violet is the daughter of Robin Ritchie, whose father was  Charles Edward Ritchie, brother of Henry Oliphant Ritchie.  I had already developed an avid interest in family research before meeting my wife and, following our marriage, I started to research her family.  To date I have a quite extensive "data base" of the Ritchie family, including Henry Oliphant, his son Eric Henry Watts and daughter Aileen Ruby (very prominent in Shetland pony circles), and a few years ago I attempted to make contact with Eric Henry Ritchie (Contemporary Artist?)....I'm not sure if I have the right Eric Henry?

If you would like to correspond via personal messaging, I would be delighted to exchange contact details.

Kind regards Peter