Author Topic: 1871 England Census on ancestry  (Read 3578 times)

Offline tarajobrien

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1871 England Census on ancestry
« on: Tuesday 13 April 04 02:42 BST (UK) »
Hello

With the 1871 census on ancestry, is there anyway of finding out when other counties might be available on-line. There is a 'coming soon' list - but when is coming soon?? i'm interested in essex, norfolk and sussex and they are not on that 'coming soon' list.

thanks
Tara
Hertfordshire(Anstey, the Hadham, Reed, Standon): Gault, Hoy, Miles, Smith
Shropshire(Aston Botterell,Burwarton,Stoke St Milborough,Wheathill): Angell, Blackmore, Blakemore, Bennett, Pheysey
Essex(Dunmow,West Ham): Allen, Blackmore, Carr, Sutton
Warwickshire(Birmingham,Edgbaston): Angell
Yorkshire(Doncaster,Hull): Brooks, Doe
London/Middlesex area(Battersea,Wandsworth, Willesden): Angell, Brooks, Carr, Carswell, Salkind
Norfolk (Norwich,Nth Walsham,Lynn,Gt Yarmouth): Carr, Salkind

Offline Ruth

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Aunt Gladys
    • View Profile
Re:1871 England Census on ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 April 04 07:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara

I think 1891 appeared online over the course of about 8-10 months.  1871 is appearing more swiftly so it looks as though they could have it completed within the next 3 or 4 months if they keep up the same rate of progress.  

However, they appear to have started putting 1901 online as well, so this could divert resources from 1871...

Ruth
Interests include:
LANSDELL in Kent & Sussex; WELLER in Kent; SELMAN/SOLOMON in Yorkshire and Staffordshire; BROYD in Essex/Cambridgeshire; KETTERIDGE in Essex/Cambridgeshire

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re:1871 England Census on ancestry
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 April 04 17:12 BST (UK) »
Depending on how urgently you want to see 'your' counties, you can have a look at www.thegenealogist.co.uk, where they are certainly doing 1871 Essex and Sussex already. (Use Indexers login to see what is underway). For indexing half a piece (~2500 names) you get access online for a year to what is already indexed. A whole piece gets you lifetime access.

I'm doing 1871 Kent & 1861 London, and you may be lucky enough to get the piece which holds 'your' family. They will send out the pdf file for the piece to be indexed if you don't have it.

I'm not claiming that the rewards are particularly generous, but it is one way to find your ancestors 'cheaply', particularly if you know where they are likely to be.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.