Author Topic: A good year for Irish searching.  (Read 21835 times)

Offline spof

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: A good year for Irish searching.
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 01 January 09 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie

It means the indexes have been transcribed but the  transcriptions have not been uploaded to the website. It's frustrating as they were completed some time ago. :(

Still, it will  be worth the wait. :)
Bezant (London/Suffolk), West (London/Essex), Walker (Yorkshire), Phillips (West Country - believed Bristol area), Tibbetts (Warwickshire), Armstrong (Co Fermanagh), Harvison (Co Wexford), Neeb (Germany), Becker (Germany), Jakobsson (Finland). Kanneworff (Germany and Denmark)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 01 January 09 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks spof - looking forward to them appearing online!  :)

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
  • Innocence before the war
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 03 January 09 14:44 GMT (UK) »
At a guess, Family Search will hold the Irish indexes back to the Who Do You Think You Are Live show in London at the end of February, as that is the main event of the year for British releases. However, that is just a guess!

PRONI's eCATNI catalogue (currently about 60% complete) is due to go online in the next fortnight, and will be followed by Belfast and Ulster Street Directories. There are other projects in the wings at PRONI also, but I'll keep mum for those just now! :)

I think 2009 is going to be an excellent year for Irish genealogy. However, on the Ulster Historical Foundation and the Irish Family History Federation, it is worth pointing out that it is sadly now cheaper to buy Antrim and Down records from the UHF at £4 per entry, than for the same records at the IFHF, which charges 5 Euros per entry, tragically now exchanging at £4.80. This is a real pity, as the IFHF has made many excellent changes recently which were making it much better to use, including a seriously better search interface, and not so expensive costs, but it looks like the credit crunch is undoing a lot of their good work. Unfortunately the UHF site remains as unfriendly as ever with its next to useless search fields. I wish they would get into the spirit of things more and realise, like the rest of Ireland, that the market will respond favourably if they could bring their accesibility and costs into line with other British sites. I can't think of another site that charges me £30 just for the privilege of paying £2 per entry instead of £4. It's jurassic nonsense. Hopefully the IFHF can respond to the changing market conditions, and/or that the market conditions get back to normality as soon as possible.

But for the rest of Ireland - a big thumbs up and a big thank you! :)

Chris
Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com

Offline spof

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 03 January 09 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Sounds interesting Chris.

Waiting for WDYTYA makes sense to a degree but I would have thought the US-centric FamilySearch wouldn't bother. I wonder if they are waiting for the new site to go out of pilot.

I looj forward to hearing about PRONI's new projects.  :D

Glen
Bezant (London/Suffolk), West (London/Essex), Walker (Yorkshire), Phillips (West Country - believed Bristol area), Tibbetts (Warwickshire), Armstrong (Co Fermanagh), Harvison (Co Wexford), Neeb (Germany), Becker (Germany), Jakobsson (Finland). Kanneworff (Germany and Denmark)

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 03 January 09 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Glen,

I only mention WDYTYA as a possibility because at last year's event I spoke to the Family Search team on their stand, and the fact that they were about to start the transcriptions was one of their big announcements at the event, along with the lab website itself. But as I say, it is only speculation! :)

Chris 
Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 03 January 09 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Chris, the transcriptions were started loooong before last years WDYTYA.  I should know I did some of it. I can't see why they would wait for this years WDYTYA... perhaps they have to make sure the infrastructure is sound enough for the huge surge in  us lot doing searches  ;D ;D ;D

Like the rest of you , I'm really looking forward to seeing the BMDs online - it will certainly to find out what happened to ggrandfathers nieces and nephews.  1901 and 1911 haven't really thrown up any clues yet to where they all went.

wake me up when we're there please......zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 03 January 09 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Well, as I said - speculation!

No chance you could release what you transcribed early is there?! :)

God loves a trier...!

Chris

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 04 January 09 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello

The news gets better, the waiting gets harder.

It is great to learn of further forthcoming releases of Irish records. I love the 1911 Census.

At long last Irish records are becoming more accessible for browsing on-line. For those of us who have common Irish names to search 'free browsing' is really the only way to go. (Especially if you have the oral family history but lack accurate dates.)   Like Marc, I have found no definite direct family records online even on pay sites. It would cost me a small fortune following up possibilities. I suspect that the appropriate church records where available have not been released to commercial sites.The exception has been Family Search where I managed to find 4 family births.

Roll on 2009.

Regards
KiwiRose.
Ireland:
County Antrim: Carrickfergus District: Irwin, McAllister, McNeil, Moore.
County Clare: Barrett.
USA:
Washington State: Moore, Hoyt, Sinclair, Johnson, Palmateer, Larrabee.
California: De Curtoni.
New Zealand: De Cartoni, Lofquist, Harding.

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 05 January 09 19:25 GMT (UK) »
I have just had a reply back regarding the Irish Bmds going on-line and this is the response.

Dear Patron,

Thank you for contacting FamilySearch Support about the Irish Records. After the indexing is complete on a project several other steps need to be taken to resolve all legal issues before the indexed project is put on Record Search. We cannot tell when a record will be added to Record Search because it depends on many factors involving several different parties.
We invite you to return to Record Search often because new records are added as soon as it is legally possible to do.

Sincerely,
FamilySearch Support

rmf

I also helped transcribe the indexes and was eagerly awaiting them coming on-line. I think we just have to be patient,
 I am sure they know what they are doing...wish it was a bit quicker though LOL!

Jax
Bradshaw Tyldesley/Worsley Lancs. RIMMER Liverpool/Birkenhead/Eccles Lancs. Dale Congleton.
Storey Kendal/Eccles. Ryan County Galway Ireland.
O'SULLIVAN Oughterard/ Cornamona County Galway, Ireland. Butler and Burke, Count Galway.  Cowburn Atherton, Manley Worsley. Durban (various spelling) Chilvers Coton Warwickshire. Phidiam/Fidium Worsley.