Author Topic: Kildonan Mackenzies  (Read 26317 times)

Offline carly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kildonan Mackenzies
« on: Tuesday 16 September 08 15:04 BST (UK) »
Looking for any one who has a Murdoch Mackenzie and Christian Gunn on their family tree. They were married in Kildonan in 1808 and came to Caithness around 1813/14.  Can't find any siblings and when Murdoch died in 1860 unfortunately his parents weren't known.  He always said in the census returns that he came from Kildonan but I wounder if it was Rossshire?

Is he someone's brother?

Thanks

Carly 

Offline lindy-lou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Kildonan Mackenzies
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 18:27 BST (UK) »
hi carly
where did murdoch die? have you got his death cert?

lindy-lou
Cruickshank (Huntly/Gartly), Robertson (Kirriemuir), Mundie(y) (St fergus), Cheyne (St Fergus), McGregor (Perth), Thomson,  Rennie, Clark,Willox,  N/NE Scotland
Chads(worldwide)
Lightbourn,Parker, Bermuda
Cornell, USA
McFarlane,Isle of Mull & Renfrewshire
Breslin,Glasgow & Ireland

Offline carly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Lindy-Lou

Murdoch died at Milton in the parish of Wick, county of Caithness.  He died 1867 age approx. 93. He had a family of at least nine children.

Carly

Offline lindy-lou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 20:00 BST (UK) »
hi
had no luck trying to find murdoch & christian marriage on OPR's...that might have given some help to his father's name...will keep searching :)

lindy-lou
Cruickshank (Huntly/Gartly), Robertson (Kirriemuir), Mundie(y) (St fergus), Cheyne (St Fergus), McGregor (Perth), Thomson,  Rennie, Clark,Willox,  N/NE Scotland
Chads(worldwide)
Cornell, USA

Offline carly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Lindy lou,

You will find them under Murdock Mckinzie in Kildonan 1.1.1808.  Their first born I think was Alexander so I presume his father was Alexander but they were a family who didn't seem too keen to name their children in the usual order, just to confuse matters!

Carly

Offline lindy-lou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 20:41 BST (UK) »
hi carly
have sent you a PM

lindy-lou
Chads(worldwide)
Cornell, USA

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 September 08 20:58 BST (UK) »
Carly,

We just had a run up to Kildonon and Helmsdale for a look around as I have McKenzie's there  (( none McKenzie without the A) it is a lovely part of Scotland
I cannot find a Murdock in my tree

I have Alexander McKenzie  m  Ann Poulson
family
 Flora b 4.10.1806
James b 21.10.1808
Alexander b 25.4.1811 d 15.2.1894
Roberta b 29.1.1816

could they have had a Murdock

Alexander m Janet McKay Gordon 10.1.1834
they had 11 children

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline carly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 September 08 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth,

I think my Murdoch was born around 1770's so the family you have are maybe a bit later but who knows ?  It is so difficult to work it out.

Thanks anyway,

Carly

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 September 08 22:07 BST (UK) »
Carly
Have you had a look at Timespan Helmsdale
if you google it and have a look there is an archivist there she may can help you .She was a Poulson but we weren't sure if there was a relationship she is going to look into it as I left her all the copies I had taken with me
When were up there the owner of the B&b who is also the village postman said there's not many McKenzie's around there now

We went through Kildonon and there were just ruins there I would have loved to have stopped to have a look around but as it was raining and we needed to get on the road for Fraserburgh we didn't stop
We do intend to do it again another year
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth