Author Topic: Scullys in Portlaoise  (Read 7922 times)

Offline Skull

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scullys in Portlaoise
« on: Wednesday 17 September 08 07:14 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for any records of the Scully family from Kyle (Kyleclonhobort), Portlaoise. Many are still in the area, but I have lost track of them.

Parents were Patrick Scully, farmer, and Mary (Annie Lalor), born somewhere between 1880 and 1890. Among the children were Michael, Peter, Elizabeth (Lil), Patrick, Joseph, John (Jack), May, and James (Jim).

Peter had a bar in the town - Scully's. Michael and Lil emigrated to England, Joseph died in an asylum and May moved to Dublin. The rest stayed in the Portlaoise area.

Thanks

Skull

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Scullys in Portlaoise
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 09:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Scull,I see from Griffiths Valuation,that there was a Patrick Scully from the parish of Kyle + he was the only one ,so possible he is Patricks father.If Joseph died & still was living local there was  two main psychiatric hospitals for the area one in Portloaise & Mullingar Co Westmeath,I had to visit both of these psychiatric hospitals about 20yrs ago,Mullingar was ok but I was horrified at what I 'd seen in Portlaoise,if Joseph was here the poor man ,he may as well have been in the prison on the opposite side of the road ,both place were hell holes.Was Scully's Pub in Portloaise or in Kyle ? When I get time I'll see if I can find any info on Scully's Pub there must be some thing on it or some one will have heard of it.Good luck in your search,regards Nipy

Offline Skull

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 15:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nipy

I'm not sure which of these asylums Joe died in, but I guess it was probably the one in Portlaoise. Scully's Bar was in Portlaoise. From memory, on the way out of town somewhere on the left, going towards the prison. I think Kyle is just a hamlet with a few farms. I know there are a few Scullys buried in the Portlaoise Cemetery. I'll check on the Griffiths Valuation.

Thanks again

Skull

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Scull,I'm a bit of a crazy old thing but I should have said that I wasn't  visiting the psychiatric hospitals as a patient.So Scully's Bar would have been on the Dublin Rd (N7) I'll do a bit of digging & if I find any info I' ll let you know.Regards Nipy

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 September 08 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Scull,no luck with Scully's bar, you may have already seen it yourself,but I did see mention of Scully's in Portlaoise trade directory for 1931 - Scully Main St was a hairdressers & Patrick .V.Scully, Grattan St fruiter's + P.V.Scully, fishmongers.I remembered the name of the hospitals the Mullingar one was ST Lomans & the one in Portlaoise was ST Fintans.One other thing I noticed when looking in the trade directory there was a William Scully in Tullamore was a Publican in Church ST, looking at the map before todays bye pass this rd went towards Portlaoise,I know it's not your Peter's but though I'd mention it any way,regards Nipy

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 19:41 BST (UK) »
Patrick & Geraldine Scully live in Kyleclonhobort now. House renovated but still has the old sheds.
Origins gives Patrick Scully having leased lands from Henry Carden to the value of £16/5/0, a lot of land back then, 1850, the land was leased in Kyleclonhobort.
We think here that Mrs Scully would have been Keegan from Rathleague.
If you contact Patrick he will have information about the  Scully's.
I hace a photo of Peter sitting in his pub on Bridge st and also one on the Keegan home place, plus Partick's address and phone number.
If you send me an email thru my website I will send on this information.
Regards,
Jack
www.genealogylaois.com

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 20:15 BST (UK) »
 Hi Seanmac,it's so great when some one comes along with great info,bet Schull will be pleased, regards Nipy

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Nipy,
Yes, I guess so.
A distant relation of mine was postman out that way when the only transport that could get to Scully's was horse & cart. I played football and hurling with the 'younger' Scully's back years ago and was talking to Noel Scully last night.
Only four houses where out there back then but like all other places, it's now full of 'huge' houses and plenty of kids.
The pub in Bridge st in now a hairdressers, but was closed for years berfore that.
I'm born and reared in Portlaoise and the Scully's live on the outskirts but there often in town.
Best wishes,
Jack Mc Donald

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 11:10 BST (UK) »
Correction to previous.
Scully's bar is still there, photo to follow.
Jack