Author Topic: Wattons in Coleraine Area  (Read 21152 times)

Offline BrnCam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wattons in Coleraine Area
« on: Wednesday 17 September 08 13:36 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for information on Wattons living in the Coleraine area around the turn of the century. My great grandfathers name was William Watton and he was married to a Jeanie Ross in the parish of Dunboe. Williams father was listed as a John Watton, but I haven't been able to find any trace in any of the church records for the area. I believe William was born about 1899 so I tried the 1901 census records but again no Wattons listed for the boundaries between Downhill and Coleraine.
Articlave area, Campbell, Baird, Watton, McNabb, Ross and Bell

Offline DixieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Wattons in Coleraine Area
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 September 08 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
Emerald Ancestors has Wattons listed. The ones below may be of interest to you.
William Watton married Jeannie Ross, on the 6 Oct 1920, in Dunboe 1st Presbyterian church, Parish of Dunboe, Coleraine, Londonderry.

John Watton married Margaret McKeary, on the 25 Nov 1901, in Killowen Church of Ireland, Parish of Killowen, Coleraine.

John Watton married Sarah Jane Laverty, on the 22 Oct 1885, in Ballyrashane Church of Ireland, Parish of Ballyrashane, Coleraine.

John Watton, born 28 Aug 1867, Coleraine.
Parents,  John Watton and Nancy Flemming.

Regards,
Dixie
Antrim.  Campbell, Carson,Dickson, Gilmore, Creaney
Down.    Dickson, Fairley, Irvine, McCune, Carlisle,    
               Wilson, Quinn

Offline BrnCam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 September 08 09:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dixie,
William and Jeannie are my great grandparents and the other info you provided will give me a starting point in trying to trace Williams ancestors.
I must take a look a Emerald Ancestors.

Brian

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
  • Innocence before the war
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 00:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian,

I'm not sure where your William Watton fits in, but I have umpteen number of William Wattons from Coleraine in my tree going back to the mid 19th C! Have a look at the Watton page of my family history website at http://chrispatonscotland.tripod.com/id43.html and then let me know if you can see the connection. There weren't that many Wattons around, and none in Coleraine on the 1831 census.

I suspect the Coleraine family is connected to the other branch of the Wattons near Portrush in Antrim, but haven't found enough to establish the link yet.

Chris
Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com

Offline BrnCam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris,
I've had a look at your site before and haven't been able to make any connection, at least for the moment. My great grandfather William Watton was born around 1899, he was living in Bellaney outside Coleraine in the 1920s when he got married and his father was a John Watton. According to my mother William had half brothers and sisters, but their names are a mystery. My mother also thinks there is a link to the Loughan area which is on the Ballymoney side of Coleraine sitting beside the river Bann.
My grandmother and her silblings were brought up outside the village of Articlave in a place called Ballywildrick (not too far from Balinteer).

Regards,
Brian

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
  • Innocence before the war
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian,

There will undoubtedly be a connection, so do stay in touch - the family was too small in the area for there not to be. I'll bear you in mind also if I can find anything else - hopefully the 1901 and 1911 censuses will help in the next few months when released!

Chris
Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com

Offline BrnCam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 October 08 12:26 BST (UK) »
Cheers Chris.

Offline rob elliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 22:05 BST (UK) »
Chris/Brian,
Won't be able to help you directly but came across the name Watton many years ago while researching soldiers from Londonderry who served in the First War.
However what is interesting is i have recently been compiling a nominal roll of all the men who served in the 10th Battalion [Derry Volunteers] Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers between 1914-18 for a book out in November.
On the list i have 5 Wattons'.
Two John's, James, Thomas and William.
James was killed, he was the son of the late John and Mary Watton and wife of Eliza, Tullans Coleraine.
One of the John's came from 2 Bates Lane Coleraine [he did not get to France but was discharged early] and the other from Mill Loughan, was discharged later in the war probably due to wounds.
Thomas and William came from Tullans as well and i think they are the brothers of James.
However he was 45 years old and they could even have been his sons.
There is als osome confusion as there are two districts, Tullans and Pullans and these some times get mixed up. I have seen this for James.
In addition there is also another William, supposed to have been killed in 1918 and a Harry  from Damhead [?]. On Coleraine war memorial is a WJ Watton, but its not clear which one he is supposed to be.
Brian could these belong to you?
Also Chris, your site says that your William went to Scotland and came back. On the Covenant there is a William from Portrush who signed in Greenock, is he yours?
Have you looked at the Covenant site Brian?
Can give a little bit more info on the 10th Inniskillings if interested and service numbers etc for the Wattons.
Also some Wattons are listed on the Presbyterian memorial rolls for Northern Ireland.
Rob

Offline BrnCam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 December 08 16:51 GMT (UK) »
I have been having a look at the 1901 census records for Tullans area of Coleraine and have come across two Watton families. The first is that of a Thomas Watton 25 and husband of Mary Ann aged 22. They have 3 sons one of which is called William aged 3. The family are listed as being Church of Ireland.
The second are John Watton aged 49 married to Eliza aged 40. There are 5 children living at home one of which is a William aged 3. Apart from one sister aged 5 the other children are much older ( in their teens), this would make me think that this could be the family I'm looking for as the family story of half brothers and sisters might fit this senario. This family were also Church of Ireland, so I had a look for any births or marriages that might match for the local COI but no answers.
Eliza must have came from another part of Coleraine, any suggestions?