Author Topic: 1851 census look up request - WORCESTERSHIRE  (Read 5108 times)

Offline Marjorie

• My email address is not working sorry
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1851 census look up request - WORCESTERSHIRE
« on: Tuesday 13 April 04 08:30 BST (UK) »
If anyone has access to the 1851 census I would be very grateful if they could look up the following for me.

JOHN BROOKES                   (b.1820/21)
HELEN (ELLEN) BROOKES    (similar birth date?)
JOHN BROOKES                   (b. April 1848)

also :

JOHN WYER                         (father)
ANN WYER                           (mother)
SAMUEL WYER                     (b. 1823/4 or 1830)

Both familes from KIDDERMINSTER WORCESTER area.

Many thanks.
BROOKES     WYER        JEAVONS    SMITH   MITCHELL     RADNALL  GILL            GROVES
ALLEN

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re:1851 census look up request - WORCESTERSHIRE
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 April 04 11:51 BST (UK) »
Reg District: Kidderminster;Bewdley Borough;2039/187
072 Severn Side

John Brooks,head,M,29,carpet weaver,Kidderminster WOR
Ellen Brooks,wife,M,28,Bewdley WOR
Henry Brooks,son,4,scholar,Kidderminster WOR
John Brooks,son,2,Kidderminster WOR,at home

Reg district:Kidderminster;Kidderminster South Ward;2038/302
167 Old Square

John Wyer,head,M,60,carpet weaver,Bewdley WOR
Ann Wyer,wife,M,51,Kidderminster WOR
Samuel Wyer,son,U,27,carpet weaver,Kidderminster WOR
Charles Wyer,son,U,24,carpet weaver,Kidderminster WOR
Henry Wyer,son,U,23,carpet weaver,Kidderminster WOR
Ann Wyer,dau,U,20,pattern designer,Kidderminster WOr
William Wyer,son,U,17,pattern designer,Kidderminster WOR

Plus, next door

166 Old Square
John Wyer,head,M,29,carpet weaver,Bewdley WOR
Eliza Wyer,wife,M,26,Kidderminster WOr
Samuel Wyer,son,1,Kidderminster

These are all from a transcript, not the actual images, hope that is OK

Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Marjorie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 April 04 13:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you Gardener very much for looking up that info. for me - you have cleared up at least one query for me!

Many thanks.
BROOKES     WYER        JEAVONS    SMITH   MITCHELL     RADNALL  GILL            GROVES
ALLEN

Offline willow

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 July 04 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Marjorie,
Lynn Paterson here, we had spoken a long time ago about the Samuel Wyer in the Kidderminster workhouse who I thought was once mine.
I later found out my Ernest Wyer b. Milson Shropshire was infact Samuel Ernest Wyer so I found my Samuel.
But I am interested now in your next line of research, ie: the John Wyer family.
The likely father of the John Wyer the elder at Old Square 1851 is John Wyer and Susannah Thomas. This happens to be the likely father of my Samuel Wyer's father Edward Wyer in Knighton on Teme Worc.
The other interesting thing is that the younger John Wyer aged 29 who is living next door Old Square, according to the IGI has parents William Wyer and Elizabeth and is born in Knighton on Teme.
Ok, confused well my Wyer's come from Knighton on Teme and William Wyer may well have been the brother of my Edward Wyer in Knighton on teme.
I have all the wills for Wyer's from Worcester and Shropshire area's and am trying at the moment to put all the families in order according to all the will information. If you can bear with me I will give you the info as soon as I have put it all together.

Did you know there is a Clarissa Wyer aged 1 b. Kidderminster on the 1851 census:

Brettle Lane Wordsley Kingswinford Stourbridge:
John Tolley head w 39
visitors
Jane Wyer M 29 Bewdley
caroline Wyer 9 Bewdley
Edwin Wyer 7 Bewdley
agnes wyer 2 Kidd.
Clarissa Wyer 1 Kidd.
I know there is a marriage between a Tolley/Wyer and that the Shropshire Worcester Wyer's have links with Bewdley, it just interests me as Clara and Clarissa are not common names to Wyer's that they may be connected in some way.
Hope we may cross at some point
Lynn paterson

Offline Marjorie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 July 04 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hallo again Lynn

Many thanks for your very interesting message.   Right this is what I have :

The JOHN WYER at 167 Old Square Kidderminster in the 1851 census would appear to be my great great great grandfather and his son SAMUEL my great great grandfather.

SAMUEL married SARAH ELIZABETH (nee LEA) at Kidderminster on 13 Aug. 1870 and their children were :
ANNIE b. 29 Oct. 1870, CLARA (my great grandmother) and SAMUEL jnr. b. 13 March 1873.

1881 census :  Samuel, Annie, Clara and Samuel jnr. were all in Kidderminster Workhouse.

1891 census :  Samuel, Clara and Samuel jnr. were living 19 Dudley St. Kidderminster.

On 15 Sept. 1894 CLARA married WILLIAM BROOKES at Kidderminster.

Now, my only problem with Samual (Snr) is his actual date of birth as :
1851 census shows his age as 27 - therefore b. 1823/24
1861 census - I cannot find him!
1871 census shows his age as 42 - should be 47 but this could have easily been mis-read when originally transcribed.
1881 census gives his age as 56 - should be 57 but as he was in the workhouse, he may well have entered at the age of 56 and his 57th birthday may not have been allowed for (I doubt if they celebrated birthdays in the workhouse!)
1891 census gives his age as 68 instead of 67.

His marriage certificate, Aug. 1870 gives his age as 40.

However all my paperwork virtually confirms that he is the one and same person.

According to IGI - John Wyer married a ANN HAYWOOD at Kidderminster on 26 Augu. 1823 and, also according to IGI, a SAMUEL WYER was christened at Kidderminster 26 December 1823 - parents JOHN and ANN WYER.

I had presumed that JOHN WYER, aged 29 and living at 166 Old Square in 1851 census, next door to JOHN and ANN WYER, was their eldest son, as he was next door and two years older than their son SAMUEL who was still at home.

Now - next problem Samuel's father John's parentage :

I did find a JOHN WYER was buried at Kidderminster, St. Georges, on 4 Dec. 1830 at the age of 65, which may have been his father?

I do hope you can make sense of all this!!

I note your comment about checking the wills and would very much appreciate any info. you find that you wish to pass on and which may relate to my Wyers..

I think you have already used the Wyer site www.wyer.org.uk haven't you?   If not - I am sure you will find it very helpful.

All for now,
Marjorie

ALLEN

Offline Marjorie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 July 04 21:48 BST (UK) »
Lynn

I said I could not find Samuel in 1861 census, however, I did trace what I believe to be his parents John and Ann and two of their children Ann and William Wyer at 11 Chapel Street Backhouse Kid.  (the same family who were at 167 Old Square on 1851 census). Also possibly John, Eliza and Samuel who were at 166 Old Sq. in 1851 were at 3 Bewdley St. in 1861.  

That really is it for now.

Marjorie
ALLEN

Offline willow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 census look up request - WORCESTERSHIRE
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 July 04 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Marjorie,
Sorry I couldn't  get back sooner but I have a little trouble getting through online.
You may be right about the Job Wyer's but I am suspicious of making assumtions as my family have been a nightmare.
Just to let you know my Wyer's get all there ages wrong by at least seven years on all the census's and documents and I know for sure it is the same people, they were just not very educated.
Anyway, I will sit down tonight and go through the wills and list out all the associated names just in case they cross somewhere.
The Samuels only seem to be in the Worcester/Kidderminster area.
Must run speak to you tomorrow.
lynn

Offline regorw

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 April 11 18:08 BST (UK) »
This a very old thread I have picked up but I have been tracing the Wyer tree for a year and would appreciate checking against any information held  for bit I am having trouble with. I can get back to 1679 then cant link the previous few names I have before that. Hope youstill have the sameemail address. Best wishes - Roger wyer

Offline willow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 May 11 23:37 BST (UK) »
Hi there sorry i don't get on here much anymore and have only just seen your post.
I have not got back that far but I do have some old wyer wills which do not belong to me and I have a friend who has extensively researched the worcester wyers.
My Wyer family are mainly in Worcester and Shropshire and originate back to Burford.
Where are your Wyer family from? 
Also are you on Genes connected because my family tree is listed on there and it is a good place to cross reference, I have seen quite a few contacts on there.
I think going back as far as you have many of the Wyer families in the area were related as the name is not that common and they did not seem to stray much out of the area.
Look forward to hearing from you :0) my email is (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php