Author Topic: Polio epidemic 1947/9 Maidenhead  (Read 4489 times)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Polio epidemic 1947/9 Maidenhead
« on: Thursday 18 September 08 12:27 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone has information about the polio (infantile Paralysis then) epidemic in Maidenhead in 1947/9.  There were three deaths and thirteen reported cases nursed at the Isolation Hospital.  Also the annual Littlewick Green Baby Show was cancelled for 1947.
Regards,
Abiam

Offline Margaret44

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Polio epidemic 1947/9 Maidenhead
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 April 20 12:20 BST (UK) »
I was one of the children who contracted Polio in 1949 and I was told it was because I went swimming at Maidenhead open air swimming pool.  A life long friend and school mate also went down with it.  I was taken in the middle of the night to the Isolation Hospital and as a young child it was very frightening as parents were not allowed to be with their children.   I was very lucky as although I had all the symptoms and stayed in hospital for 6 weeks I did not become paralysed or have to go into an iron lung.   My dear friend suffered quite badly and ended up in Heatherwood for quite a long time and underwent surgery to correct problems with her legs.  I remember another patient being in an iron lung which was incredibly cumbersome and noisy.   A patient died on the ward during my stay.  There were about 3/4 of us in one ward.  Our parents were only allowed to visit at weekends and then talk to us from the outside through closed windows.  There were no treats as such during that time as rationing (especially sweets) was still in force.    When I was put into the ambulance to go to hospital I remember wanting my favourite doll and my father having to go back into the house and collect it.  I was never allowed to take that doll back home with me because of passing on infection to others.  Recovery was slow and the doctors advised my parents to encourage me to take up horse riding as this would strengthen my legs.  Horses were the love of my life and gave me so much pleasure for many years.

Offline graham saunders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 June 20 11:53 BST (UK) »
re polio in maidenhead i had an aunt who was stricken by the disease   she was in her mid thirties she was hospitalised in st marks  isolation unit  [ was only 8  so Was not aware ofhow deadly thert disease was   she was in iron  lung for a  no oF days  when she was sent home she needed a caliper to be able to walk and
her leftarm was paralysed she bore this with cheerfulness and courage until her death at
 96 yrs of age

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 June 20 13:24 BST (UK) »
I know it was in North London late 40's early 50's too, as I can remember my mother saying she resisted the baby shows due to the polio outbreaks.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 June 20 13:48 BST (UK) »
My cousin contracted it in the early 1950s in Walsall. Fortunatley a mild form with just a little weakness in one of her legs that she quickly recovered from.
GEDmatch M157477