Author Topic: McPherson's of Nova Scotia  (Read 3042 times)

Offline susan Peat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McPherson's of Nova Scotia
« on: Thursday 18 September 08 23:50 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I am looking for descendants of Thomas McPherson and Mary Ellen Faull who were married in Maryhill Glasgow in 1883 and emigrated to Canada sometime before 1911 where I found them on the 1911 census living in Sydney Mines.  Their son William Faull McPherson was a corporal in the Canadian infantry in 1919 when he married Mary Douglas in Maryhill Glasgow.  William died in Canada 1952.  Any assistance would be much appreciated.
Susan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McPherson's of Nova Scotia
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 September 08 00:06 BST (UK) »
According to 1911 census Thomas MacPherson arrived in Canada in 1909 and the rest of the family (wife Mary, Elizabeth, William, John) arrived 1911.

Thomas MacPherson died 7 July 1926 at Sydney Mines aged 63 years, was a miner, born in Scotland son of James MacPherson + Agnes Wallace. Cause of death osteomylatis with compound fracture of leg 6 months before resulting in amputation of leg. Buried Brookside Cemetery.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jeffster

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 September 08 01:18 BST (UK) »
When I say the name Brookside Cemetery I thought for a second it was the one in Bedford NS where my ancestors are buried.

Anyhoo there is website of transcriptions of the markers in Brookside Cemetery here:

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nscpbret/cem39.html

As well (depending if aghadowey got the info from  ;D) a portion of Nova Scotia BMD are online for viewing here

http://www.novascotiagenealogy.com

Jeff

Offline susan Peat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 September 08 02:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks to aghadowey and jeff, that makes twice as much info as I already had!

Susan

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 September 08 02:33 BST (UK) »
Found this while searching.

Sydney Mines - Online
http://www.sydneymines.ca/letters.html

Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Doreen E. McPherson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 February 19 06:17 GMT (UK) »
Mary moved to Victoria BC. Sometime in 1914 she returned to Scotland and brought 2 boys back James age 4 and John 8? James is my grandfather. What I have found out is the oldest boy Thomas stayed in Scotland when the rest emigrated  to Canada, he was a professional football player according to my grand father. William  was known as Mac his wife Mary died in Victoria BC they had 2 children Eleanor and I think the boy was David. Hope this helps you.

Offline susan Peat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 February 19 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello Doreen,
Bit confused with your message, the children I have for Thomas McPherson and Mary Ellen Faull are:
James 1885 (married Margaret Evans in Glasgow 1907) Thomas 1889 neither of these boys went to Canada with Mary in 1911.  Elizabeth 1892 married Charles Muir, William 1895 (married Mary Douglas Glasgow 1919) and John 1904, these are the ones who came to Canada with Mary.  Children I have for William McPherson and Mary Douglas are James 1919 and Mary 1921 both born in Cape Breton.  Presume that your grandfather James was born in Canada after 1911, please enlighten me.
Susan

Offline Doreen E. McPherson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 February 19 03:26 GMT (UK) »
My grand father and his brother were born in Scotland they were adopted by Thomas and Mary after 1914.  Mary sailed with the 2 boys back to SydneyMines in November of 1914. I have the ships logs,but not on this device. We always thought they may have been the sons of one of the boys  who stayed it was expensive to make a trip like that on a coal miners pay.