Author Topic: Sir Henry PARKES  (Read 42900 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Henry Parkes
« Reply #27 on: Friday 24 October 08 20:29 BST (UK) »
Margrethe is listed as Mary A in that 1861 census, BN

This I think is the same family in 1851, but the birthplaces are quite different:
60 Livery Street, Birmingham (HO107/2056 f161 p 1)

Samuel Parkes 41  Baker Ratcliffe, Leicestershire
Emma  Parkes    40 Wife  Littleton, Worcestershire   
Mary Ann Parkes    19 Daughter Dress Maker Droitwich, Worcestershire           
Jane  Parkes   17 Daughter Button Tainer Droitwich, Worcestershire
Elizabeth Parkes    16 Daughter Chain Maker Birmingham           
Emma Parkes    12 Daughter Chain Maker Birmingham
HelenParkes   8 Daughter Chain Maker Birmingham
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 25 October 08 00:33 BST (UK) »
BN - I did a search for Gustavus Parkes in the 19th century newspaper database and came up with a number of reports of him jumping into the sea to save naval comrades who had fallen overboard. Send me a PM if you need more information.

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 25 October 08 00:56 BST (UK) »

Is this the same guy on HMS Penelope in 1881 ??

http://www.angelfire.com/de/BobSanders/HMSPenelope81.html

Annie  :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline britnordic

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Henry PARKES
« Reply #30 on: Monday 27 October 08 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Shaun,

Yes please, I would like to known more about Gustavus "bravery" from the newspaper database. 

No need to respond quickly as I'm now away for a week. 
 :)

Offline nudge67

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 31 October 08 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shaun.

I lived in Parkes, NSW from 2003-2006, a nice little town named for Sir Henry, famous for its massive satellite dish of which they made a movie a few years back called "The Dish". Parkes is also famous for its Elvis festival, an annual gathering of Elvis impersonators.

Parkes' sister town in the UK is Coventry, so their council library may well have resources relating to the town and the man. The Parkes library has info and maps on Coventry as part of that relationship, indeed the tiny motor museum in Parkes has a Jaguar from the Coventry factory that was the last of that particular model to run off the production line.

I happened to be in Coventry the day after the HMS Coventry was sunk during the Falklands War - what a sombre mood that town had.

Cheers
Nudge
NSW Convict 1836: Peter WIFFIN (alias VIVIAN)
VDL Convict 1841: Richard REES
SA Pioneers (<1847): Hornsby, Wallis, Willoughby, Floate, Mills, Chesson, Degenhardt.
SA Old Colonists (<1857): Messenger, Tyler, McFeat, Ladner, Edwards, Cassidy, Rhodes, Shaw, Waye, Sibly.
SA Colonists (<1901): Jones, Pike, Bowyer, Davey.

Offline Kerry Kilmury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 05:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am also related to Sir Henry Parkes. Although I'm just starting out in researching all this. My Dad's Mother was Annie Amelia Parkes, and as far as I'm to undersrstand Sir Henry P. was her uncle. I'm attempting to put things together. Trying to locate as well relatives that live in and around Vancouver, B.C. as well as world wide.
I've found this group very helpful! Thank you!  :D

There is a family story about my ancestor Job Parkes (born Smethwick 1809, died Liverpool 1847) being related to Sir Henry Parkes  who was born in Canley,  Warwickshire in 1815, migrated to Australia in 1839, and became Premier of New South Wales.

I am just starting some research into Sir Henry's English connections and would be grateful for input from anyone who has any information. I know that his parents were Thomas Parkes and Martha (nee Faulconbridge), and that Martha died in 1842.

After Sir Henry's death in 1896 his daughter Annie published a book of his early letters home entitled "An Emigrant's Home Letters" - if anyone has access to a copy could they please let me know if there are any pointers there to siblings or cousins. I understand that most of the letters were to his sister Sarah.

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 16 January 10 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello all. I grew up in Faulconbridge NSW, and have an interest in it's local history. There is a good local history department at Springwood library which can be reached through the Blue Mountains City Council website.
Sir Henry's house is still standing, and a private residence.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 16 January 10 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Kerry,

Sorry to take so long to reply. Can you tell us more about Annie Amelia ? Was she the one born Liverpool circa January 1871, father Samuel H Parkes born Birmingham circa 1839 ?

Offline Kerry Kilmury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 17 January 10 06:38 GMT (UK) »
HI Shaun,

I think my Annie Parkes was born in Birmingham, England in approx. 1839, but her daughter was also named Annie (Amelia) as well but at present I have no birth date for her, so far.
I wouldn't be surprised if Annie Parkes mother was named Annie as well, and she may have been born in Liverpool. I'm just not sure, am still digging for info.

I have several Parkes names in Annie Parkes Memorial Record.
Names like Samuel Parkes, Wallace Parkes, Lyal Parkes Harrison Parkes Tremain Parkes, and Fredrick Parkes.
It's fun trying to find the pieces.
My Dad spoke often of Sir Henry though and said he was his great uncle(could be another great, or two. lol).

Thanks for responding. Any help would be fantastic if you run across any connection!

Kerry