Author Topic: Audley Roads Torquay & Newton Abbot  (Read 7951 times)

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Audley Roads Torquay & Newton Abbot
« on: Friday 19 September 08 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Can anybody help,

I have been researching the Audley surname and have created the website www.audleyfamilyhistory.com to make my work available to others.

To liven up the website I am looking for photographs of places with Audley in its name.

I understand that in Torquay there is:
Audley Avenue
Higher Audley Avenue
Lower Audley Road

and Newton Abbot has;
Audley Rise

As I live in Liverpool would some kind person be prepared to e-mail me a digital photograph of one or more of the above roads. I will put the picture on my website with an appropriate credit
Regards
Brian Audley
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline terryleaman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Audley Roads Torquay & Newton Abbot
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 September 08 21:32 BST (UK) »
I live in Torquay, but those roads are extremely difficult for me to get to. One you've missed is the former Audley Park School - now called Torquay Community College.
Hooper- Torquay & Exbourne
Stevenson- Plymouth & Lincolnshire
Vivian- Cornwood & London

General Torquay local history- OPC for Torquay

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 September 08 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Terryleaman,
Many thanks for the addition information. Do you know if there any significance of the Audley name in Torquay
Regards
Brian

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Dear Brian
That is certainly a very fascinating question
I was born and grew up in Torquay in the 60s and my elder sister attended Audley Park School but I have no idea at all how it gots its name.  It was probably the largest and one of the newer secondary moderns in the town - maybe built in the 1940s - just guessing.  And yes the street name Audley keeps cropping up - but why ? As Audley is certainly not a prolific name in Devon.  I wonder if in Torquay Audley is not connected with a surname but maybe  shortened from something like Old Lee shortened to Auld Lee ? if you see what I mean.  I have an old travel book about Torquay from 1932 which has a street map and the area near where the school was built - was called Audley Park - so the area was called this before the school appeared. The roads you mention are in the Audley Park area possibly also built in the 1940s - when streets just tail off on this map I am not sure if they were just nmot shown or still being built.
If you contact Torquay library Local Studies they may know how Audley got its name - I wonder if it is something to do with Windmill Hill ? I would also be very interested.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Just down the road from Audley Park is Pennys Hill and Pennys Cottage - I think one of the oldest houses in Torquay 1600s maybe ?
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY

Offline terryleaman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 08:58 GMT (UK) »
The only reference I can find to an Audley is that at some time the Manor of St Marychurch was owned by Lord Audley. The site of the school and Windmill Hill above were both in the Manor. 
Hooper- Torquay & Exbourne
Stevenson- Plymouth & Lincolnshire
Vivian- Cornwood & London

General Torquay local history- OPC for Torquay

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 October 08 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi CheshireMog & Terryleaman,

Many thanks to both of you for your comments. I will certainly follow the suggestions regarding The Manor of St Marychurch being owned by Lord Audley and see if Torquay library will have any more information.

CheshireMog.
Many thanks for the scanned image of the map. I don't know whether or not you have looked at my website? www.audleyfamilyhistory.com Would you allow me to put the scanned image showing Audley Park on my website? As the book you have was published in1932 I should not have a problem with copyright.
If you agree would you please advise the title of the travel book?
Regards
Brian Audley

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 October 08 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Dear Brian
I personally dont mind if you use the map on your website but I cannot comment on the issue of copyright - hopefully this will not be an issue.
Taking a closer look at the book I think it is actually for 1923/24
Ward Lock & Co Ltd, Warwick House, Salisbury Square, London EC4 - Illustrated Guide Books - Torquay & South Devon
Glad it was of interest
You have done a great job on your website
mog
Staffs - HEAPY
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 October 08 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cheshire Mog,
Thanks for the information the map is now on the website under places called Audley
Regards
Brian