Author Topic: Wilson/Middlemass Family of Haddington 1790  (Read 13195 times)

Offline nordmann

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson/Middlemass Family of Haddington 1790
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 11:50 GMT (UK) »
I sent a detailed letter with my contact deails to Tom Middlemass, outlined the family history & explained in what way he might be able to assist. This was 10 weeks ago. Maybe he doesn't feell like responding. Would you be able to suggest anyone else?

ps. Are you related, possibly?

Thank you, Nordmann, (Anne)

Offline Siward

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 February 12 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all, for the Wilson information.

In the past while have unearthed some more information, there could be a possible connection here.

Anne Wilson,
born 25-Feb-1792 to John Wilson & Margaret Middlemost, Liberton, Midlothian

Catherine Wilson,
born 12-Mar-1794 to John Wilson & Margaret Middlemost, Liberton, Midlothian

John Wilson,
Born 30-May-1799 to John Wilson & Margaret Middlemist, St. Cuthberts, Edinburgh

Margaret Wilson.
born 1-Jul-1802 to John Wilson & Margaret Middlemas, St. Cuthberts, Edinburgh

As Gadget pointed out another child, Mary Wilson, born in Sout Leith in 1796 to
a John Wilson & Margaret Middlemass and with my own Archibald Wilson born in
Haddington in 11th April 1790, I think all these entries could be the same family.

From research on other branches of the family tree, there has been a tendancy for
the mispelling of names.

I have also come across a marriage entry on SP for a John Wilson and Margaret Middlmist,
married 22-Jan-1789 Grey Friars, Edinburgh. Margaret's father is listed as John and he
originated in Northumberland.

Sorry about not being back in touch sooner, but have kind of given up the tree mostly
due to very little information available in OPR records.

Best wishes,

Richard

Armstrong - Lanarkshire
Aitken, Connachie, Gillon, Hotchkiss, Steel - Stirlingshire
Aitken, Gillon - West Lothian
Wilson - East Lothian, Midlothian, Lanarkshire

Offline Acatrini

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 August 15 14:45 BST (UK) »
I found John WILSON and Margaret MIDDLEMAS's marriage under MIDDLEMIST! They were married on 22 Jan 1789 at Greyfriars, Midlothian.

They had two sons and four daughters:
i. Archibald WILSON born 11.4.1790 Haddington EL.  He was an Iron Founder married to Elizabeth MILLS c 1821

Archibald WILSON and Elizabeth MILLS had 7 children that I know of who show in the 1841 and 1851 Censuses at 26 Warwick Street, Gorbals, Lanarkshire:
i. William WILSON born c 1822 Glasgow, Lanarkshire.  He was a Warehouseman
ii. Archibald WILSON born c 1824 Glasgow, Lanarkshire.  He was a Millwright App and later an Engineer
iii. Alexander WILSON born c 1829 Johnstone, Renfrewshire.  He was an Engineer
iv. Margaret WILSON born c 1832 Glasgow, Lanarkshire
v. Thomas WILSON born c 1837 Glasgow, Lanarkshire
vi. James WILSON born c 1839 Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Reverting back to the children of John WILSON and Margaret MIDDLEMIST
ii. Ann WILSON born 25.2.1792 Liberton, ML
iii. Catherine WILSON born 12.3.1794 Liberton, ML
iv. Mary WILSON born 14.8.1796 South Leith, ML
v. John WILSON born 30.5.1799 St Cuthbert's Edinburgh who married Ann MCARTHUR c 1824
and had 4 children that I know of:

i. Catherine WILSON born c 1825 Gorbals, Lanarkshire
ii. Archibald WILSON born 23.2.1831 Gorbals, Lanarkshire.  He was an Iron Moulder
iii. Robert WILSON born 11.11.1832 Gorbals, Lanarkshire.  He was an Iron Moulder
iv. Jane WILSON born c 1839 Gorbals, Lanarkshire
Note: Archibald and Robert show in the 1851 Census at 103 Govan Street, Gorbals, Lanarkshire as Lodgers of Edward and Rose HOLLIS working as Iron Moulders aged 19 and 17 presumably at their uncle Archibald’s Ironworks.

Finally, John and Margaret had a two more children:
vi. Margaret WILSON born 1.7.1802 at St Cuthbert's Edinburgh.
vii. Alexander WILSON

I hope this is of some help if you are still searching.

I haven't found a link yet to my WILSONs from Dirleton who descend from Archibald WILSON and Isabella FOGGO.

Regards

Offline nordmann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 06:00 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
Thank you for all the information, which is extremely interesting!
I am certainly still 'chasing shadows'. many of my files happen to be in boxes currently, so my dates are approximate  and I am currently having a little break from Scotland's People. But i do have more information now.

Wilson is , in fact, the married name of my ancestor. Several dates for her are given only as approximate, if provided at all. She was born Margaret Mitchelson at Old Belton date 1765- 1783?
Her maternal ancestors were generally named Margaret and one of them was Margaret Emloch/Imloch. I am unsure without looking it up if that side of the lfamily were living at Dunbar or Belton yet. maybe further west.
Married William Wilson, Dunbar, 1789.
2 children, William, born Dunbar and Jean, born Belton. She was probably the elder.
The father, William, a servant at Belton Mill and then a mi;;er, died 1802. Chilren probably born before 1804. Their surname is given always as Wilson.
Jean/Jane married George Sanson,a tailor/ draper, Dunbar, 1830.They are at Dunbar in 1841 census with their children,  Mother in law margaret and her son, William. Ditto for 1851 census.
Margaret, in her late 80's, I think, disappears from the census at this point. There was a Margaret Wilson who died in the poorhouse in Dunbar in 1854 & another who died somewhere nearby in the 1850's.
Her son William is not in the Dunbar 1861 census. His trade is jorneyman carpenter/joiner. There is one William Wilson of this trade at the 1861 census in the house of a Mr Barrie, who was a carpenter and family at Innerwick or Oldhamstocks. He disappears when the barrie family move. No death date.
One of George and Jean's children, William Sanson, a draper and merchant were very well known. He did a lot of work with the Dunbar Rifle Volunteers & after his retirement was granted the honour of being permitted to wear his uniform.
William sanson and his wife Elizabeth Cook, from Frome had married in 1869. They had 3 children, Annie, a renowned singer, who is my grandmother, who married a Norwegian, harald Christian Dannevig. They came to Australia in 1902, where he was Commonwealth Director of Fisheries. He and his ship, The Endeavour were lost off Macquarie Island in a storm in 1914.
The next child, Flora Jane Sanson/Collins had a career over several decades.
The son, Frederick George Sanson, married Helen 'Daisy' Brand Taylor. She was a well-known singer, also. They are dirctly related to the Porteous family.
I'm afraid that after all, we do not seem to be related to Middlemass or to your Wilsons. If i find them at Dirleton, I will let you know.

Thank you for your help, Nordmann

Offline Acatrini

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Nordmann, Sorry we can't find a connection.  Hopefully someone else out there on reading your post will recognise the details.

Good luck searching.

Kind Regards
Acatrini