Author Topic: Help please - Locating Whitegate  (Read 12398 times)

Offline Noells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Help please - Locating Whitegate
« on: Saturday 20 September 08 02:49 BST (UK) »
My 93 year old mother in law tells me her Grandfather named Daniel Egan was born in Whitegate County Clare.
On his marriage certificate here in Oz he stated he was born in County Galway.
Several years ago I attempted to solve this, but with no luck. Now that many more Irish records are available on line I thought I would begin looking for this Irish family again.

However I really need to know exactly where to look and,knowing how much help is usually forthcoming from fellow Rootschatters,thought I would post this.

On the marriage certificate in 1875 he says his parents were John Egan and Mary Quinn. Daniel states he is 35 years of age. So born about 1840.
Google maps only shows Whitegate in Lough Derg in Clare.
I am not sure if I should have posted this on Clare or Galway, but looking forward to any help or suggestions ;D
Noells

Anderson,Fry,Poad, Fort, -England, Australia
McCulloch - Scotland, Australia
O'Shea, Shea, Egan - Ireland, Australia
Sternberg - Germany

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help please - Locating Whitegate
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 September 08 09:16 BST (UK) »
There are actually two townlands in Co. Galway that  might fit.

WHITEGATES- 28 acres- Killimorbologue civil parish, Portumna Poor Law Union, Barony of Longford
or
WHITEGATE- 264 acres- Clonrush civil parish, Scarriff Poor Law Union, Barony of Leitrim.

See www.thecore.com/seanruad to find townlands and parishes in Ireland (be sure to change default setting from exact match to search with part of a word).

Had a look at Griffith's Valuation for both of the above places but don't see an Egans in either. http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_place_search_form.php

Where did the marriage take place?- may give clues as to the location. Also, what was the groom's residence (townland)?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Noells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 September 08 00:40 BST (UK) »
Hi aghadowey
Thank you for all the information. I had been looking in Griffiths Valuations on the askabout ireland site, but as I did not know exactly where to look gave it up until I could hopefully find the right area.

I will follow up on what you have given me. The marriage took place out here in Oz in 1875, so no Townland details on that - only Galway,Ireland

Noells
Sternberg - Germany

Offline obriain

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Noells,

Your ancestry were from Whitegate, parish of Clonrush. This parish was in Co. Galway prior to 1898 after which it was transferred to Co. Clare.
Two of your relatives were registered on the Church baptismal records:
Margaret born 1847 and James born 1850.
There are many Egans listed in a history of Lakyle National School now published. See www.clonrush.eu. you may send a query to me if you wish by using the form on the links page of that website.
Regards.
obriain

Offline Noells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 June 10 02:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Obriain

Sorry for the delay in replying to your post. Somehow it got lost in my system and I just re-discovered it today.

Do you  have any more details on Margaret b 1847 and James b1850 that might connect them to the Egan family I am researching?

Look forward to hearing back from you

bye
Noells
Sternberg - Germany

Offline obriain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 June 10 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Noells,

As you stated in an earlier message, you were seeking information on the family of John Egan and his wife Mary Quinn. Margaret and James were children of this couple.

Regards

obriain

Offline Noells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 June 10 02:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Obriain

Thanks for your quick response. This is very exciting news as it is so difficult from Oz to find Irish records.  At the risk of boring here is some relevant research.
Daniel came to Amphitheatre, Victoria in the gold rush 1853-54. He was states on the marriage cert. he was 35 when he married Eliza Presley. She was 19. they married 11/7/1875.This would mean that he was born about 1840 putting him at 13 years of age when he came to Australia.  As Eliza was only 19 maybe he put his age back. He is shown as aged about 90 when he died in 1924, meaning he was born about 1833.

His grandaughter recalls he always said he left Ireland aged 21 because his parents wished him to marry a local woman. His father was a wealthy farmer& the woman was a daughter of a neighbour. Daniel refused this marriage & came out to Australia instead. He supposedly also refused to accept any money from Ireland & made his own way. He lived in Whitegate, County Clare. He made a success of his life in Oz and named his farm here "Whitegate".

Do you think that Daniel would fit in with the Egan family you have found? Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing his exact age. He called his first son Samuel John (Eliza's father was Samuel) and his 2nd son James.

Once again, great to hear back from you with this exciting info.

Bye
Noells

Sternberg - Germany

Offline Noells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 June 10 08:09 BST (UK) »
Hi obriain

These are my findings in 2008,using Griffiths Valuation of Ireland 1855 for the Townland of Whitegate. Website askabout ireland.com

There are no Egans listed there, but there are some in the adjoining Townlands. In Whitegate there is a Patrick Quinn as a tenant of Francis C Sampson M.D. leasing  Houses & Land of about 1 acre& 5 acres, including Two Labourers Houses.
Then we have John Egan in Derrainy leasing from Roderick White a house,land & office on about 32 acres. In Cloonmohaun there is a John Egan leasing from Francis C Sampson M.D. & Wm. Blair a house & land of 1rood 15 perches. A Margaret Egan leasing from the same two men a house & land of 1rood 25 perches.
Then we have a James Egan in Cloonmohaun who seems to be in partnership with an Edward Murphy & Michael Hogan where they are leasing Houses,office & land of some 81 acres from Francis C Sampson MD and William Blair.
In Derrainy James Egan leasing from Roderick White a house & land on about 18 acres.
In Drummaana East James Egan owns a house,office & land on about 100 acres, plusanother house,office,land and six labourers houses and three gardens on about 182 acres.
In Drummaan South James Egan has leased to Francis C Sampson MD House,offices & land of about 181 acres.

I can't link them up to Daniel Egan but haven't been able to find any other records to search, so hope these may be of some assistance to you.

bye
Noells
Sternberg - Germany

Offline obriain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 June 10 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Noells,

If you could send your message directly to me via the message form on the links page of my website: www,clonrush.eu  it would be more convenient.

briain